Hubby With Type 2 Diabetes

Memb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been advised that a low carb diet will be best and when I asked how many grams to stick to daily she said "I normally advise 10", but reading varying information its 45-60, I'm totally confused. Can you advise please?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am confused too. 10g per day? per meal? either way, thats low. Are you sure that what she said? Is your hubby on any meds?

Memb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for responding. Yes, my problem is that Metformin was working fine, however, following heart failure and meds given for that, the two have caused acute kidney injury so both were reduced to get his kidney levels back up --- then reintroduced. However metformin only to one a day so I have to control it with his carb intake. I don't mind cooking at all (I'm one for soups, salads, veggies galore anyway), but we are both sure she said "10grams", said in the format "I normally advise 10gram a day", ie so not specific to him.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
10 is extremely low, its normally 50-60 a day.
Hope all goes well for him.
Take care

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for responding. Yes, my problem is that Metformin was working fine, however, following heart failure and meds given for that, the two have caused acute kidney injury so both were reduced to get his kidney levels back up --- then reintroduced. However metformin only to one a day so I have to control it with his carb intake. I don't mind cooking at all (I'm one for soups, salads, veggies galore anyway), but we are both sure she said "10grams", said in the format "I normally advise 10gram a day", ie so not specific to him.
then i would go back to her and double check. Are you in the uk?

Memb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
10 is extremely low, its normally 50-60 a day.
Hope all goes well for him.
Take care
Thankyou for that reassurance. Could you kindly guide me to a good carb guide/recipes for typical breakfast/lunch/dinners with that amount of carbs in mind? Sorry to be a pain! I've managed just fine until this heart failure and new meds being introduced!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Try dietdoctor website or ditchthecarbs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been advised that a low carb diet will be best and when I asked how many grams to stick to daily she said "I normally advise 10", but reading varying information its 45-60, I'm totally confused. Can you advise please?

Hello there Memb - Who was it who actually gave you this advice?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetic nurse

If the diabetes nurse you saw has been around for a while, she may be referring to carbs in a different way. A T1 friend of mine talks of carbs in units of ten, so if a food item contains 20gr carbs, then she will refer to it as 2 carbs. She was diagnosed 30+ years ago, and that's how she learned about carbs. However, as others have suggested, you do need to clarify with the nurse exactly what she meant.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
If he avoids grains (bread and cereal), potatoes and sugar then the diet will be naturally low carb. I follow those rules and it has worked for me.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is not advised for people with renal failure due to the danger of lactic acidosis - perhaps check that with your doctor as well as the amount of carbs.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think it might mean when you read the small print on the back or the packet - avoid anything with more than 10 grams of carb per 100 grams.