Diabetes And Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Really struggling with this combination. And told I had glaucoma in one eye last week!
After first year of diagnosis had hba1c of 39 (down from 62).
But now it's about 47 and I'm not sure why except I had to give up work due to the CFS/M.E.
Find it really difficult due.to the CFS to incorporate much exercise into my regime. If i do over 15 minutes a day, im bedbound the next day(s).
And weirdly, the exercise I do do just seems to raise bg and have no.long term effect in lowering it.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Angelofthemarches, Sorry to hear about your troubles.
My understanding is the CFS is a diagnosis by exclusion - every other cause has been ruled out. The rouble of course is how far does the doctor go in ruling out causes. I have one friend diagnosed as having CFS who turned out to have Obstructive Sleep Apnoea, another had Depression and a third had a post-infection syndrome.
That is not denying that CFS exists but I still wonder how many stones need to be turned over in the process. I hear that diabetics can be low in magnesium or zinc, that coeliac disease has not been excluded and so on.
So I hope your have a doctor who is not going to stop looking over time for possible causes, as time and research continue.
Are there any CFS groups you can tap into?

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Hi @Angelofthemarches, Sorry to hear about your troubles.
My understanding is the CFS is a diagnosis by exclusion - every other cause has been ruled out. The rouble of course is how far does the doctor go in ruling out causes. I have one friend diagnosed as having CFS who turned out to have Obstructive Sleep Apnoea, another had Depression and a third had a post-infection syndrome.
That is not denying that CFS exists but I still wonder how many stones need to be turned over in the process. I hear that diabetics can be low in magnesium or zinc, that coeliac disease has not been excluded and so on.
So I hope your have a doctor who is not going to stop looking over time for possible causes, as time and research continue.
Are there any CFS groups you can tap into?
Yes, have had every test going prior to diagnosis - oh and forgot to say I'm on magnesium!
Yes, am in several cfs groups. It's just how this affects diabetes that was bothering me.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yes, have had every test going prior to diagnosis - oh and forgot to say I'm on magnesium!
Yes, am in several cfs groups. It's just how this affects diabetes that was bothering me.
Perhaps look at the low carb diet sites for inspiration regarding the diabetes?

Reactions: flexi06

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I already do keto
I had ME in my teens. Doc ran every test he could think of, except vitamin D and hypothyreoidism, the idiot. I was laid up in bed for the better part of a year and a half at 15 and 16 years of age. Ruined my spine too, it's all over the place; the deficiency turned it to rubber, so hello scoliosis. Diabetics are prone to Vit D deficiency (Rickets), and if you're already on magnesium? Is that due to bone density issues? Because without D it won't be assimilated. I know, all tests have been done... Just want to check and make sure! Hope you'll feel better soon!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really struggling with this combination. And told I had glaucoma in one eye last week!
After first year of diagnosis had hba1c of 39 (down from 62).
But now it's about 47 and I'm not sure why except I had to give up work due to the CFS/M.E.
Find it really difficult due.to the CFS to incorporate much exercise into my regime. If i do over 15 minutes a day, im bedbound the next day(s).
And weirdly, the exercise I do do just seems to raise bg and have no.long term effect in lowering it.
for many of us with CFS exercise make it worse, and raises blood glucose levels.

Reactions: flexi06

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou so much for replying btw it means a lot to me!!

If your VitD is rather off, I doubt you would get enough from a multivitamin to raise it at all. Indeed, in my view the levels the NHS prescribe as a loading dose is pretty modest, and the recommended maintenance dose is too low.

Do you actually know your VitD is in range, or are you assuming it is because you're taking a multi-vit? When my thyroid was struggling a bit my VitD plummeted from a natural 90 to 21 in just a few months. Having supplemented it, I'm back to 101, although that was helped along by supplements.

Vit D3 should be taken with K2, if you weren't aware of that already.

Reactions: zand

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your VitD is rather off, I doubt you would get enough from a multivitamin to raise it at all. Indeed, in my view the levels the NHS prescribe as a loading dose is pretty modest, and the recommended maintenance dose is too low.

Do you actually know your VitD is in range, or are you assuming it is because you're taking a multi-vit? When my thyroid was struggling a bit my VitD plummeted from a natural 90 to 21 in just a few months. Having supplemented it, I'm back to 101, although that was helped along by supplements.

Vit D3 should be taken with K2, if you weren't aware of that already.
You're making a good point here. You know, I can't take D supplements because they give me killer migraines. At the lowest I know of, I was at 14. After this summer, where I spent a lot of days outdoors catching sun, and actually got burned so bad my head was oozing with blisters, and I ate rediculous amounts of salmon, I got it up to 48. Still technically deficient, but I'll take it. For some of us it just really is harder to get into the normal range... And I won't be able to make it through the winter without adding extra d to my diet. Not looking forward to the migraines, but after this summer, I doubt my doc's idea of a week's sunvacation in the winter will help...!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're making a good point here. You know, I can't take D supplements because they give me killer migraines. At the lowest I know of, I was at 14. After this summer, where I spent a lot of days outdoors catching sun, and actually got burned so bad my head was oozing with blisters, and I ate rediculous amounts of salmon, I got it up to 48. Still technically deficient, but I'll take it. For some of us it just really is harder to get into the normal range... And I won't be able to make it through the winter without adding extra d to my diet. Not looking forward to the migraines, but after this summer, I doubt my doc's idea of a week's sunvacation in the winter will help...!

As i understand it, there is absolutely no point getting sunburned looking for vitamin D.
The skin’s capacity to produce vit D switches off as soon as the burning starts.
Far, far, better to go out into the sun multiple times for a short time each, and avoid burning. Your body will generate much more vit D that way... and avoid the inevitable sun damage that comes from burning.

So PLEASE don’t let yourself get blistered sunburn ever again - it won't help your vitamin D levels in the slightest.

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As i understand it, there is absolutely no point getting sunburned looking for vitamin D.
The skin’s capacity to produce vit D switches off as soon as the burning starts.
Far, far, better to go out into the sun multiple times for a short time each, and avoid burning. Your body will generate much more vit D that way... and avoid the inevitable sun damage that comes from burning.

So PLEASE don’t let yourself get blistered sunburn ever again - it won't help your vitamin D levels in the slightest.

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/
It wasn't the plan to get oozy. ;) And it won't happen again either, not if I can help it anyway...! But thanks for the advice, I didn't know a burn was a killswitch!

Reactions: Brunneria