Dexcom G6.

Dinkeroon

The difference between the Freestyle Libre and the Dexcom Clarity 6.
I have been using the Dexcom G6 which is the new version for the last 3 months before that I used the G5 which you had to do a blood calibration twice a day the newer version you don’t.​
I just wanted to point out what a life changer this is, it connects with an app to your smart phone and your glucose is read every 5 mins. Your health professionals can also see your activity when they log on to your account.
I used to suffer from severe night hypos that wiped me out for the next day.
This alarms when you drop below 4 it when it raises above 10. For me this is the best thing ever and it is attached to your stomach not your arm like the Libre.
I used the Libre before this and kept getting it caught on things and pulling it off.
The Libre is low down in comparison to the Dexcom, I know it’s the way of the world continuously changing.
The Libre checks every 15mins and doesn’t alarm. You can only use it on full view on the back of your arm.
The reason I changed was because it became impossible to obtain the sensors and I felt the support wasn’t great.
The Dexcom G6 checks every 5mins and is worn in your stomach the same as your pump. It connects to your smart phone and warns you of a any lows or highs. It will also give you your hba1c.
I find this device a lot easier to keep your finger on the goings on with your diabetes. It also makes it a lot easier to control.
I thought some of you may find this some help from someone who has used both devices and the difference between them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Great feedback @Dinkeroon

I am just about to changeover from the libre to the G6 and have just ordered a starter pack which lasts a month and costs £159, I like the idea of being able to customise the alerts so that you can get alerted if you drop say below 5, which is useful for me when driving, also fed up with the scale of inaccuracies on the libre, particularly during the night time and if running above 12 mmol/l, seems to go wildly off the mark when running high.

D

Deleted Account

Interesting and is close to my experience of the Libre vs Dexcom G4.

On the point of alarms, some people are using extra tech (e.g. miao miao) to add the extra functionality to the Libre via Blutooth.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Interesting and is close to my experience of the Libre vs Dexcom G4.

On the point of alarms, some people are using extra tech (e.g. miao miao) to add the extra functionality to the Libre via Blutooth.
well my G6 starter pack lasted 2 and a bit month using xdrip and on Thursday next week will be getting the Libre on prescription for 3 month so I will probably buy the miaomaio to use with it as when Iam working I can suffer from hypos day and night.

The G6 is a great bit of kit if you can afford it and I was gutted when my last sensor (it was the transmitter I think) that died

Wina58

Hi
My son has been a diabete for 12 yrs an only just heard about the Dexcom G6 can anybody tell me where I can get a starter kit from please ? He is constantly ill with his bloods , please help

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
My son has been a diabete for 12 yrs an only just heard about the Dexcom G6 can anybody tell me where I can get a starter kit from please ? He is constantly ill with his bloods , please help

You can pay for it online:

https://www.dexcom.com/en-GB/uk-dexcom-g6-cgm-system

It’s £159/month (I think)

Or you can ask your son’s diabetes team about it, some hospitals let you try it for a week but there will be a waiting list

EDIT: I assume you leave your contact details and they will call you back to talk about it and payment options for it?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Hi, Wina, don't know which country you're in but dexcom has numbers you can call to set up an account to buy it and they'll then courier it to you within a few days.

Here's a starting point for the UK, you may have to google a bit to find contact numbers for the country you're in:

https://www.dexcom.com/en-GB

There's also a gizmo called Freestyle Libre which is worth a look at, does things like dexcom but no hypo alerts, some countries are doing it on prescription so it's free to the user, but entirely depends on where you are:

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/li...MI5-vDxKq34gIVi813Ch1H1AN3EAAYASAAEgIXLfD_BwE