Type 1'stars R Us

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@smc4761 the finger prick device was better than stabbing yourself BUT I hated it so much....

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening colanders!

Tucked up in my friend’s guest room and full of dinner. Went to a lovely Turkish restaurant, where I had big prawns to start and pan fried seabass with a nice salad - was supposed to have had new potatoes with it but they swapped it for an avocado. Been cruising the purple (green) zone quite happily, let’s see what tomorrow brings :)

Night all x

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I just visited the Facebook UK Libre uses page, and saw people talking about insulin neuritis. Apparently they had been running high for so long, that when they started using Libre, and reduced their blood sugars, they started getting pain in their limbs.

Apparently it's only temporary. but sometimes I feel I've heard everything about what can happen with diabetes, and then I find I haven't.

It's good that with libre they are getting their blood sugars down, as they must have had quite some nerve damage, and at least there is the opportunity for improvement now.

I do think though that the main argument for libre must be that it just makes it so much easier to stay in range. But of course there is no data on how long people spent in range prior to libre, because it couldn't be measured.

Surely that libre can measure time in target range must be the most important reason of all for giving people access to it

A DSN active on twitter said she was looking at results with libre, and found that the people who tested most tended to spend most time in range, so it must be obvious that because libre offers as many tests as you want to do a day,. that that beats 8 test strips a day.

It's so frustrating.
I hope they find a better name than insulin neuritis. Insulin is the innocent party !!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The Express does ace weather forecasts :p

Circular illness this, not that long ago I was trying different porridges, insulin change and the problem went but I've chased my a**e a bit lately, settling from the insulin then timing change and hey, porridge and I aren't getting on like we did and I needed a unit for correction today.
Maybe a bit more patience is needed as I wonder just how much shock to my system the basal timing change caused, and how much difference missing a couple of swims has, it certainly keeps one on ones toes :)
Thank you @kev-w, for widening my vocabulary, Here was I thinking on one's toes was about ballet !!!

Reactions: kev-w

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Good afternoon fellow pin-cushions

Work has got in the way of say "Hi" this morning.

On the "where to stab?" question, I was told stomach below the belly button, bottom, top of thighs and upper arms. However, I too was told to pinch and never managed to master my double-jointedness enough to pinch my upper arms so never had.

With the pump, I was told I could put the cannula in all these places AND above the belly button provided it had some fat.
Going through the odd ab-obssession at the gym, I still avoid above the belly button but I imagine this is fine for most and would provide another area if you were to migrate from injections to pump.

I have not read the Express article (I read a couple of Matt Atherton stories about diabetes a few months back and got so annoyed about the terrible reporting). However, I found Theresa's (I can't call her "Mrs May" because that's my Mum) response a typical political response. She didn't lie; she said the Libre was available on the NHS which it is. Unfortunately, the MP who posed the question didn't ask the post code lottery aspect and, in politics, asking the right question is as important as getting it answered.
No one I have spoken to without diabetes is aware of the issue and, to be honest, have as much interest in it as I have about a postcode lottery for bowel cancer treatment, for example.
I am not defending Theresa or the NHS but it is the way our political system works, unfortunately.
To stab or not, this patch of flesh, That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in choosing to suffer, the slings and arrows of outrageous infliction,
Or to take up auto-injectors up against a sea of skin. And opposing this end pain
-To dream no more and by denial avoid, The heart ache and a thousands stings,
That our flesh is heir to. 'Tis an injection fest. Devoutly to be avoided.
To dream pain-free, And perchance to believe, Ah there's the sting,
For in that thought of numbness what help may be,
When we count our perforations.
(Apologies to Shakespeare).

K

Knikki

Morning.

Well what do you do when you wake up at 2.2?

Make a coffee and switch the telly on :p:hilarious:

Anyway Chienese last night and woke for "to dashed early for a pee" checked BSL was at 9.0, slapped 2.5 for the corrective win, but over cooked it. :banghead:

Never mind. :cool:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning y'all and happy weekend :) 5.9 waking and 6.4, 5 minutes after that which was odd, 6.1 now so am waiting till I drop to 5 before the porridge gets served :)

The child is out on a sleepover so I had an hours sleep-in this morning and am currently 'admiring' how much mess she's made since last Sunday :p I have a large cage on the floor with a rabbit and a gunny pig in it that need cleaning and I plant to supervise the task when she comes back :)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning perfectly ventilated people.

those ordinary mortals have far more damp issues.

Tried 7 units of Levemir as the day time dose, as I was going a bit high in the afternoons. Needless to say I instead went too low, but night time blood sugars were beautiful, so I'm going to try 7 again, but reduce lunch time bolus, and have a mid afternoon snack, and see if that works better.

Until, of course, everything changes again.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning perfectly ventilated people.

those ordinary mortals have far more damp issues.

Tried 7 units of Levemir as the day time dose, as I was going a bit high in the afternoons. Needless to say I instead went too low, but night time blood sugars were beautiful, so I'm going to try 7 again, but reduce lunch time bolus, and have a mid afternoon snack, and see if that works better.

Until, of course, everything changes again.

7.5? Half dose pens are pretty too.

Reactions: hh1 and Alison54321

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Last night, ‘for one night only?’ 7.5 worked a treat. In the 5s all night so not, for now, following the DSN’s instructions.
Maybe it’s because I learned to rebel early when faced with three type-written pages of school rules to be learned, but if someone tries to impose rather than discuss an action I just need to kick back.
Breakfast before cleaning @kev-w? Don’t like to think of you sitting in the cage with the guinea pig.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Last night, ‘for one night only?’ 7.5 worked a treat. In the 5s all night so not, for now, following the DSN’s instructions.
Maybe it’s because I learned to rebel early when faced with three type-written pages of school rules to be learned, but if someone tries to impose rather than discuss an action I just need to kick back.
Breakfast before cleaning @kev-w? Don’t like to think of you sitting in the cage with the guinea pig and the T1 gremlin.

Reactions: porl69

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning fellow pin cushions. Decent night, 6.6 before bed, sneaked up to 9.7 about 2 am but dropped back to 6.1 on waking.

Winter is almost here so it out with the scales measured out 50g of porridge, along with 150 ml of milk add a wee drop water, microwave, then add some cinnamon for extra flavour. So about 40g of carbs so 10 units loaded on board. Lets see how that goes.

Mel have a great day in London, dont get yourself arrested:angelic::angelic::angelic:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Breakfast before cleaning @kev-w? Don’t like to think of you sitting in the cage with the guinea pig and the T1 gremlin.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry about the repeated posts fellow tea strainers, the site kept telling me it couldn’t load it, finally had to sign in again. Even I am finding my own words a little boring on the loop.
Have a good march and stay safe Mel, and be nice to those young coppers if they arrest you.