effects on temporary illness on blood sugar level

aptfourd

I was not at all well, yesterday, and consequently had very little to eat. At bedtime I checked by blood sugar level to check just how low it might be, and was very surprised to read that it was 13.5. Could this be because I wasn't feeling well? What should you do when you are ill - still take the same amount of diabetic medication? I am type 2, using 1 and 1/2 (2.5) glibenclamide per day.
Thanks.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I believe infections etc can send your blood sugars haywire - usually upwards, I think. I'm only on Metformin and I would continue taking that, also lots of fluids, and eat soup if I couldn't get anything else down.

Someone who knows more than I do can probably advise you better. I seem to remember someone saying deal with the illness and then deal with the diabetes, but I could be wrong.

Viv 8)

whatashock

I was ill last week as well, and was amazed at how my levels fluctuated.

My problem was also, no appetite but I knew that I had to eat, not only say that I could take my metformin, but also nurofen. Ended up spending 20 minutes eating two slices of toast just to take medication.

dont know too much about it either, but it is something I am aware of, but still keep an eye on it just in case.

hope you feel better now.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
aptfourd said:
I was not at all well, yesterday, and consequently had very little to eat. At bedtime I checked by blood sugar level to check just how low it might be, and was very surprised to read that it was 13.5. Could this be because I wasn't feeling well? What should you do when you are ill - still take the same amount of diabetic medication? I am type 2, using 1 and 1/2 (2.5) glibenclamide per day.
Thanks.

Unless advised otherwise by your HCP's you should always take your Diabetic medication unless physically unable to do so. In which case contact your GP asap.

As Viv says, illness and stress will usually elevate your Bg levels.......deal with your illness first and then look after your Diabetes, if you are able to do both, all well and good.

Sometimes we have no choice and have to let Diabetes take a back seat.......