Baking / Cake Recipes - With Stevia / almond flour ? And sugar free chocolate?

MoroFenrir

Does anyone have any links to any half decent baking recipes, for cakes etc ?

Perhaps that use almond flour , insted of normal flour , and stevia instead of sugar ?

And what is the best sugar free chocolate to buy as an occasional treat? (Preferably not dark) As I know some can be really bad, even though they're 'sugar free'

We've seen that sainsbury's do a no added sugar milk chocolate, any good ?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This recent thread has dessert/baking ideas and links

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...to-take-to-a-holiday-dinner-relatives.156796/

Not sure about sugar free milk chocolate. I think the carbs would likely still be high. Dark chocolate is an acquired taste but as you lose your carb fed sweet tooth it does taste better and better and you only need a square or two instead of a whole bar. Maybe start at a lower % and less but work up to 85%+ gradually

Marpa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Perhaps that use almond flour , insted of normal flour , and stevia instead of sugar ?

And what is the best sugar free chocolate to buy as an occasional treat? (Preferably not dark) As I know some can be really bad, even though they're 'sugar free'

ou could try 'chocologic' Belgian chocolate. They do a milk and dark chocolate which are both very nice. The carbs and sugars are really low. I usually get mine from Tesco or Morrisons. The dark one has a pink band around the wrapper and the milk one a green band. Hope this helps :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm just going to drop this one here... It sounds like you are desperately trying to "replace" bad foods with low carb friendly variants. This may seem great for a while but (and I think this is a very important but) if you want to adopt a low carb lifestyle for the long term, and with a Type 2 partner this would be a very good thing, re-education of the palate would be a great idea.

Yes you can make loads of cakes and biscuits low carb but you'll never get out of the cake and biscuit habit. And if the low carb variant has run out it's so easy to slip back to the original with the "oh, one won't matter" mindset.

I used my diagnosis to completely alter my way of eating so out went cakes, biscuits, bread not to be replaced by low carb alternatives but fresh cooked home foods that are both nicer and better for me.

I freely admit I think I had unrecognised food addiction problems in my pre T2 days which hopefully are being resolved now but if your partner has the same problems then it may be worth taking this into consideration.

I realise this probably comes across as a bit "preachy" but for me (and that is all the experience I have) the pseudo bread and cake foods rekindled all the addictive problems I had previously so I'm now very happy to leave that kind of stuff behind.

If your partner doesn't have these type of issues then you should be fine but only you know ...

MoroFenrir

I'm just going to drop this one here... It sounds like you are desperately trying to "replace" bad foods with low carb friendly variants. This may seem great for a while but (and I think this is a very important but) if you want to adopt a low carb lifestyle for the long term, and with a Type 2 partner this would be a very good thing, re-education of the palate would be a great idea.

Yes you can make loads of cakes and biscuits low carb but you'll never get out of the cake and biscuit habit. And if the low carb variant has run out it's so easy to slip back to the original with the "oh, one won't matter" mindset. ...

I totally understand and respect what you're saying...but there's a few days a month a girl just needs chocolate!
:bag:

MoroFenrir

Got a couple of good recipes from the links above, thank you guys, but I'm going to go with Nigella's chocolate cake, replacing the sugar for stevia.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
ibreatheimhungry.com alldayidreamaboutfood.com sugarfreelondoner.com You cannot eat wheatflour if you are serious about reducing your blood glucose... there are so many wonderful LCHF sites out there - most of them connected to diabetes, although not all....

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a keen baker, one of the first things low carb I learned how to do was to bake that way - with just three healthy ingredients - nut or seed flours, butter or oil, and eggs, that are a basic part of low carb diets. There's an endless variety of cakes, biscuits, shortbreads, pastry, etc that you can create - sometimes even with just two of those three options - or by adding, for example, various combinations of grated courgettes, baby carrot, cheese, chopped nuts, flavouring in the form of herbs, spices, mustard, for savoury, or vanilla, finely chopped ginger, cocoa, coffee, low carb sweetener or maybe even a little fruit, for sweeter baked igoodies. Many of these combinations also lend themselves to the infamous one minute microwaved muffins in a mug, so are quick and easy addition to low carb eating. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-recipes.4871/page-48#post-987609

And I can honestly say, that even having to live with a kitchen full of high carb commrcial bread, biscuits, cake, due to a carboholic husband, I have been tempted by those goodies fewer times than I can count on both hands over the past five low carbing years. :yuck:!

Robbity

MoroFenrir

As a keen baker, one of the first things low carb I learned how to do was to bake that way - with just three healthy ingredients - nut or seed flours, butter or oil, and eggs, that are a basic part of low carb diets. There's an endless variety of cakes, biscuits, shortbreads, pastry, etc that you can create - sometimes even with just two of those three options - or by adding, for example, various combinations of grated courgettes, baby carrot, cheese, chopped nuts, flavouring in the form of herbs, spices, mustard, for savoury, or vanilla, finely chopped ginger, cocoa, coffee, low carb sweetener or maybe even a little fruit, for sweeter baked igoodies. Many of these combinations also lend themselves to the infamous one minute microwaved muffins in a mug, so are quick and easy addition to low carb eating. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-recipes.4871/page-48#post-987609

And I can honestly say, that even having to live with a kitchen full of high carb commrcial bread, biscuits, cake, due to a carboholic husband, I have been tempted by those goodies fewer times than I can count on both hands over the past five low carbing years. :yuck:!

Robbity

I love the muffin recipe !

If I was to make vanilla muffins , how much vanilla essence should i add. and how much sweetener ?
Would stevia be ok ?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on quantity, but generally I'd use a teaspoon of vanilla essence.

Stevia's fine , but I use an erythritol/stevia combination which is much less sweet than neat stevia, so I can't really tell you, but there are various tables available for comparisons of different types of sweetener if you do a Google search. I remember using some powdered stevia, and had to buy a tiny tiny "micro spoon" to measure it with as it was so extremely sweet. So basically add it little by little and taste, and continue until it tastes about right; essentially not enough is fixable while too much all at once isn't!!

I'm afraid I tend to be a sort of taste it and see type of cook. My sister, an excellent pastry cook never measures she does it all by eye (and experience)!

Robbity