Breads

BAZZA_P

Some of you guys mentioned and reccomended breads the other day but i cant find the threads so thought id start a new one.

What do you recommended? Wife just called to say see picked up some Rye bread for tonight. Does this come in white and brown? If she bought the white one (as i suspect she might) is it still ok cause its rye? I usually have the in store baked Granary or wholemeal from morrisons .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Burgen Soya & Linseed bread seems to be popular on the forum amongst both type 1 and type 2's.

Nigel

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
I was eating 2 slices of Burgen Soya and Linseed a day on a reduced carb diet and went from losing 0/5 kilo a week to putting weight on. Reading around the subject on the web I think it could be the Soya that caused it. I'm now eating German Rye Bread.

Ailz

louiseb

try the wholemeal nimble bread from memory I think it has 7g of carbs per slice, which is very low for bread.

alaska

I've found it to be a pretty fail safe option to buy the product with the highest fibre value. The fibre should help with reducing cholesterol, helping you feel full and slow down the affect on blood sugar.

Generally speaking, the higher the fibre value (per 100g), the lower the carb value (per 100g) of two like-for-like items.

Per 100g

Tesco Finest Rye Bread
Carbs 49g
Fibre 6.6g

Schneiderbrot Vollkornbrot Rye Bread
Carbs 38g
Fibre 8.8g

Nimble bread
Carbs 37g
Fibre 6.8g

I would go for the Schneiderbrot on this comparison mainly because it does not contain emulsifiers (most probably trans fats or close relatives of) liken the Nimble and Tesco 'finest' do.

galgal

sourdough bread seems to be the one to eat. I asked my doctor and yes it does have a low GI count. Various studies have said it is better than wholemeal/wholewheat/brown bread. It tastes good too.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
The only way to know for sure if any type of bread is OK for you is to test before and after eating it and see what it does to your blood glucose levels. All T2's will have differing levels of insulin resistance and pancreatic function so what is OK for some will be a no no for others.

Test test test :D

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
Schneiderbrot Vollkornbrot Rye Bread
Carbs 38g
Fibre 8.8g

And No soy under any guise

Cheers
Ailz

sammo68

How does spelt bread (with or without rye) sit in the table of good or bad breads? I have been told, can't remember by who, that spelt has a low GI (good thing!), but not sure if okay when baked as a loaf. Some supermarkets, i.e. Morrisons, do sell Spelt and Rye loaves but it is impossible to find out what other ingredients are included (it's classed as ISB (In-store bakery) product). When I asked about the ingredients in my local Tesco reference ingredients in a spelt and rye roll I was shown the ISB book. But was not allowed to take a copy of the ingredients / nutrition information away. Not allowed to let customers know apparantly!

C

catherinecherub

Hi sammo,

It matters not that a food is classed as low G.I. You will still have to test to see if it is alright for you. Sound nice and smells nice when they put it out on display. I tried the spelt one from Tesco when I fancied something different but it didn't work for me. You may be different.

If you bought this type of bread in a rustic bakers and there were no additives it might be a different story.

sammo68

Hi Catherine - fair point. Guess I'll give it a blast, plain without spread etc, and take it from there. On my Desmond course they suggested that if we did want bread then go for everything that was high fibre and loaded with nuts and seeds etc. Again plenty of choice at ISBs, but no ingredients. Makes it an expensive test procedure for those of us wrestling with diet and BS. Onwards and downwards - or something like that anyway! :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That was an excellent artlcle Catherine.
Sammo68, I live in France, not all bread in France is white baguette which has a very high glycemic index. Actually where I live most people don't buy that. I am lucky enough to be able to buy a variety of breads made in a traditional manner I buy bread which contains nothing other than flour/seeds/nuts + water, salt , yeast/sourdough. I certainly weigh the bread I eat so that I can dose accordingly (I have T1 and use insuln) for the most part I can cope with it very well.
In UK supermarkets ,I haven't yet found a bread that is as kind on my glucose levels as those I use at home... that includes Burgen. The instore bakery products look good on the outside but when I eat them, I feel that they are somehow 'fake'. Still got that light fluffy texture.
If I lived there permanently I'd try to find a local baker that made breads in a traditional manner using good quality flours (not pre mixes from the big producers) Unfortunately that needs looking for and would probably cost more than at the supermarket... but when I think about it I pay 1.50-2. euros for a small loaf that won't last more than a couple of days.(no preservatives) Failing that I'd go for Burgen.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried the rye and spelt bread from Morrisons but it gave me a high BG I can manage Burgen but I am a skinny trying to gain weight.
CAROL

hallii

If you don't mind eating soya, (I don't) here is my bread recipe.

120g wheat gluten 16g carbs (the carbs value of this seems to vary depending on where you look, as low as 10g on some websites).
120g soy flour 30g carbs
30g linseed (flax) 9g carbs
10g sunflower seed 2g carbs
Add wheat bran to suit taste and requirements.Maybe 20 gms, add carbs.
1 tsp of sugar (carbs not counted as the yeast converts it)
1 pkt Tesco dried yeast.(I tried the rest, it's the best).
15 ml of oil
Warm water to mix.

Around 60 gms of Carbs for a good sized loaf, about 4 gms of carb per slice depending on how thick you like it.

You can use a bread maker to make it I use "Speciality" program, yours may vary.
Wheat Gluten etc from "Flourbin".

H

sammo68

Thanks for all the replies folks - plenty more to look into, research and try. Glab I've got this forum to tap in to. Miles better than local NHS offerings!