Did everyone have “classic” symptoms before diagnosis ?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
My Mum was diagnosed in the early 1970s and I recall her constant thirst and then the need to wee. At that time those were classic symptoms of Diabetes.

I had no obvious signs so my diagnosis came out of the blue.

How was it for other people ?.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no symptons either though now I realise I was always tired, since low carb eating and getting my numbers down I have more energy. I was diagnosed Dec 17 following an eye test at Specsavers showed a bleed behind my eye. The trouble with symptons is they quickly become “your” normal and you often dont realise theres a problem..

CathyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found myself nodding off on the computer after lunch at work so went to the doctors before I got the sack.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had no symptons either though now I realise I was always tired, since low carb eating and getting my numbers down I have more energy. I was diagnosed Dec 17 following an eye test at Specsavers showed a bleed behind my eye. The trouble with symptons is they quickly become “your” normal and you often dont realise theres a problem..
I wasn’t even tired.
I am now but that’s the Fibromyalgia doing it’s thing.
I must admit I was really surprised when my doctor told me as, based on Mums experience, I’d expected more visible signs, so to speak.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I found myself nodding off on the computer after lunch at work so went to the doctors before I got the sack.
Ah, I still do that but think that’s a combination of dull job, fibromyalgia and the fact our office just bakes. It’s so warm I see people yawning all the time.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I had no symptoms to speak of before the T2 diagnosis. When a locum GP mentioned Diabetes and the need to retest I actually laughed out loud and went on to bet him £1 that it was all down to lab error. It took me a heck of a long time to accept the diagnosis.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had no symptoms to speak of before the T2 diagnosis. When a locum GP mentioned Diabetes and the need to retest I actually laughed out loud and went on to bet him £1 that it was all down to lab error. It took me a heck of a long time to accept the diagnosis.
I understand that.
I still find myself questioning it at times.
Added to that was the fact that they diagnosed me and then never followed through with any advice so it was as though they weren’t serious about it.

Reactions: jjraak

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Patrick66 .
What diabetes was your mother diagnosed with?
I’m assuming that you are T2. Apologies if I’m wrong.
Symptoms can vary greatly, not only between same type diabetes but even more so with different types of diabetes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I had almost the complete set. This included thirst, constant trips to the Loo, blurred vision and candida (thrush) down below. I also went hyper for a while and my wife could see I had 'lost it'. I was not tired. Fortunately I was on holiday with another couple at the time one of which was a nurse so she spotted the cause.

Reactions: Ceebee2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no symptoms at all. My T2 was picked up on a routine old folks health check and came out of the blue.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope. I was TOFI, normal BMI, was not having any urgency to either drink fizzies or expell them, and slept soundly at night. Seemingly fit but in a sedentary job so not athletic in any way. My mum died from T1D complications, so I arttended a Diabetes uk open day at the local supermarket and had a fingerprick test (something my mum Never had in her life) which was elevated so referred myself to GP and, as they say, the rest is history.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I am diabetic, but do not currently have the diagnosis of type 2 or type 1 (although the docs think its type 1). I didn’t think I had any symptoms but looking back I was always thirsty and drunk a considerable amount without realising.

It was only when I became incredibly dizzy and after 3 doctors trips and a trip to a and e with dizziness they tested for diabetes!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Classic symptoms for me.. Summer of 76, so everyone was guzzling fluids.
I had the most unquenchable thirst.
& the multiple restroom visits.
Rapid weight loss. (Didn't have any to lose in the first place.)
The GP at the time, in short didn't want to know....
So my parents rushed me round a kiddy ward at the hospital up the road.

A nurse took one look at an emaciated, worn out, just turned 8 year old & had me down as type one & admitted to a ward, in a bed & on a drip...

My T2 dad on the other hand, just got rumbled during a routine check up.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Classic type 1 symptoms in 1989. Loss of weight, was 8 1/2 st, went down to 7 st 1lb, incredible thirst, infections, very tired and lethargic and hungry too.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I didn't have any symptoms, but my bg had only gone up 2 points to 49 from 47 the previous year.
I was only diagnosed because I have hypothyroidism, and thyroid level needed to be checked annually.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 .
What diabetes was your mother diagnosed with?
I’m assuming that you are T2. Apologies if I’m wrong.
Symptoms can vary greatly, not only between same type diabetes but even more so with different types of diabetes.
Yes I am Type 2, as was my Mum.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you everyone.

Interesting how some of us exhibit the signs and for others it’s caught, almost by chance, by blood tests or someone knowing the signs.

I was well aware of Mums condition but I suppose it just always seemed, at least to me, that I would exhibit similar symptoms if I had the condition.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the classic tiredness, thirst and needing to constantly pass urine.
However have had symptoms from my teenage years.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Was tiredness and a constant peeing for me too. Put up with the toilet trips for a while as just getting old Then tiredness started to kick in big time and I went for a medical MOT, something our surgery does when your nearing 50 and that sealed it.

With hindsight on how I feel now, my BG has been elevated for YEARS, could be 15 or more.

Reactions: Suzannep89

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had dramatic weight loss in a short space of time tiredness thirst toilet by the minutes i thought i was menopausal but no t1 diabeties at 49