Hello,

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aw, that's lovely. Maybe it's just about reordering life and hoping for new and betters things. I am hoping for better fitness and new adventures. Sorry this reply was meant for mudkins
@Emily D. its nearly a year since diagnosed and i have reordered my life.. had and got better things.. am fitter and clearer in my mind and been on new adventures!... none of which would have happened had i not been diagnosed...for me the future is bright!

Reactions: Emily D. and Prem51

Emily D.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Emily D. its nearly a year since diagnosed and i have reordered my life.. had and got better things.. am fitter and clearer in my mind and been on new adventures!... none of which would have happened had i not been diagnosed...for me the future is bright!
That's good to know Diawara, I do expect/hope that this will turn out well as in slimmer, fitter, participating more. I used to enjoy buying clothes when I was slimmer and then got to wearing nearly anything that would fit. I'm looking forward to shopping again, when I get more weight down. I bought handbags and scarfs in the January sales, my logic being that next year I will be focusing on clothes in smaller sizes and I will have my accessories ready, (I love a bargain).

Reactions: Prem51

Rosie B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

I wanted to thank all of you for the warm community that I have seen here since my diagnosis in November. I'm no medic but this strikes me as a more sensible forum than others that I have found at home or elsewhere online. I feel like I know many of you already as I have been coming on here to educate myself about diabetes and reading many of your posts. It's very confusing in the beginning. I initially was very hopeful, imagining that I could reverse my numbers and then have "normal" carbs. The reality is sinking in now. Ah well.
I have type 2 and my HBA1c was 50. I bought the meter and I am getting lower readings already. Before diagnosis, I was having a great time in Slimming World, with all you can eat fruit salad etc and delighted with my black grapes instead of sugar. I am a bit of a fruit fiend but since November I have had to curtail that. Limiting oranges is surprisingly more difficult than limiting chocolate. On the plus side, blueberries have acquired a sweetness that my palate didn't detect in them before.
I left my doctors' surgery in turmoil, wondering how I would cope emotionally with the diagnosis. I have joined a class where we use yoga (very gentle) for meditation. It was a life-line in the first few weeks. I have also increased my walking and spend some time walking by a local river. I hope to start hiking in a beautiful part of Ireland, as the weather improves. Some days this is ok, some days it is not, but, it was very helpful to find such a supportive and understanding community as yours.
My name is after the great Emily Dickinson. I went to her house once, we hired a car and drove 3 hrs to see it --- I should have checked with the tourist office first, as they closed on Tuesdays and it was a Tuesday. Still, it is all in the poems.
Hi Emily.
I'm also newly diagnosed. It's a Huge deal. Thankfully we've so much information available to us on the internet.
Hope you get on well. I'm in N Ireland. X

Emily D.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Hi Emily.
I'm also newly diagnosed. It's a Huge deal. Thankfully we've so much information available to us on the internet.
Hope you get on well. I'm in N Ireland. X
Hi Rosie, It is indeed a big deal, much bigger than I realized. Without the internet we would be heading for wheelchairs and dialysis, wouldn't we? knowledge is power. Dublin is way north of me, I hope the NHS are taking care of you up there.

Emily D.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @Emily D. Your HbA1c of 50 isn't very high, mine was 49 at diagnosis and I brought it down to 44 by my 3 month retest.
You will get a lot of good advice and support on here, jut ask any questions you want to.
And well done on getting a meter to self test.
Thanks prem 51, the meter made we very happy today with a fasting reading of 5.2. I won't be retested until May, so hopefully I will have a happy outcome, like yours.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Hi Rosie, It is indeed a big deal, much bigger than I realized.

Without the internet we would be heading for wheelchairs and dialysis, wouldn't we?

Sadly, very true, @Emily D.

Many get a VERY rude awakening, after knowing a tiny bit about the illness, and once handed personal ownership of their very own DIABETIC condition. Shock, followed by horror. Seems to be the normal reaction from those on here .

(Which, I like to think ii a wonderful self protection measure, that those who choose to simply take the tablets as instructed, possibly missed out on, imho )

Which neatly leads to your second point, which is where , we on here are blessed,

Blessed by belonging to a slightly rebellious, community. of outcasts

One determined beyond belief, to overthrow the yoke of diabetes.

A diagnosis, placed around our necks, usually with a sop to informing us of the causes and remedies, with the expectation that there is, NO cure, NO remission,
just a slow steady slide into further ill health.

A Verdict not just challenged, but one that this BEAUTIFUL, RAGGED ARMY of such complex diversity, yet one that stands SOLID in its core beliefs,

Not only dares to challenge the very STATUS QUO, of THAT obscene VERSION of our futures,

but takes it apart, dashes it in the dirt, like an obscene painting, waving two fingers in the face of that perceived vision of our future health, and to a person, says.

"NO...I WILL DO MORE"

And they have, and do..

And now WE join that throng, asking not just more and better for ourselves,

but for the MILLIONS out there, too

Too frightened, too weak, too complacent, too blind to see the damage being done on a DAILY basis, by food.

FOOD we all used to see as HEALTHY, if not benign....foods slowly and inexorably condemning more and more to the vaiguries of a type 2 diabetic life..

Welcome to the fight.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I wanted to thank all of you for the warm community that I have seen here since my diagnosis in November. I'm no medic but this strikes me as a more sensible forum than others that I have found at home or elsewhere online. I feel like I know many of you already as I have been coming on here to educate myself about diabetes and reading many of your posts. It's very confusing in the beginning. I initially was very hopeful, imagining that I could reverse my numbers and then have "normal" carbs. The reality is sinking in now. Ah well.
I have type 2 and my HBA1c was 50. I bought the meter and I am getting lower readings already. Before diagnosis, I was having a great time in Slimming World, with all you can eat fruit salad etc and delighted with my black grapes instead of sugar. I am a bit of a fruit fiend but since November I have had to curtail that. Limiting oranges is surprisingly more difficult than limiting chocolate. On the plus side, blueberries have acquired a sweetness that my palate didn't detect in them before.
I left my doctors' surgery in turmoil, wondering how I would cope emotionally with the diagnosis. I have joined a class where we use yoga (very gentle) for meditation. It was a life-line in the first few weeks. I have also increased my walking and spend some time walking by a local river. I hope to start hiking in a beautiful part of Ireland, as the weather improves. Some days this is ok, some days it is not, but, it was very helpful to find such a supportive and understanding community as yours.
My name is after the great Emily Dickinson. I went to her house once, we hired a car and drove 3 hrs to see it --- I should have checked with the tourist office first, as they closed on Tuesdays and it was a Tuesday. Still, it is all in the poems.
Hi Emily pleased you’ve started posting you’ll soon be a regular poster I’m sure and I’m already excited to read your forthcoming success story when youve continued to bring bgs, stress and weight all in a downward direction but your health, fitness and happiness all in an upwards direction. That’s certainly what happened to me big time when I took the advice here. I’m also impressed that you’ve taken steps to protect and look after your mental health/ stress levels it’s an important aspect fo4 some of us in helping both our bg levels and how we feel about our lives. I do lots of walking, Pilates and the Headspace mindfulness app and these are, I feel, as important to me as what I eat. I used to suffer from severe depression and anxiety and feel sure that this contributed to my increasingly poor health. I’m now on no meds for any of my previous conditions and haven’t been ever since adopting this way of eating and looking after myself more.
Enjoy your journey and plan that next river walk!