Struggling with work

Darion89

I work at pub and am contracted to 40 hours over the week. We have recently lost our manager and have temp manager covering.
They are trying to put me on 6 days, whereas before my hours would over 5 days, and I remember my doctor telling me working 6 days a week would not be good for me.

Does anyone have any advice? Obviously a sick note would be the first priority, but is there anything else I can do?

Thanks
Darion

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't see why it would be a problem. If it's 40 hours over 6 days instead of 5, you'd be working less hours per day so it might be better for you... But if you already have a contract that states you do 40 hours over 5 days, bring this to the temp manager's attention. Are they aware you are diabetic?

D

Deleted Account

Is there anything in your contract stating when you should work those 40 hours?
I don’t think there is a reason related to diabetes which should stop you working 6 days but it is not a very healthy lifestyle for anyone so it may be useful to check your terms of employment.

Reactions: Dodo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that diabetes itself should not affect the work hours but perhaps the Dr has other reasons for restricting the 6 days?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
What time of day would you be working during the 6 day week? What insulins are you using? The ways hours worked has an impact on blood sugar balance varies according to the needs of each individual and the way that their T1 is managed.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Reasonable Adjustments under the Equalities Act. You are protected as someone with a disability and they cannot force you to work six days. Research that up. If it happens your place of work is one with a union (rare in the trade I know) then contact your rep ASAP.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I work at pub and am contracted to 40 hours over the week. We have recently lost our manager and have temp manager covering.
They are trying to put me on 6 days, whereas before my hours would over 5 days, and I remember my doctor telling me working 6 days a week would not be good for me.

Does anyone have any advice? Obviously a sick note would be the first priority, but is there anything else I can do?

Thanks
Darion
How long have you worked there? They have to give you a certain amount of notice in any case of a change to YOUR normal working hours. - speak to ACAS they will tell you all the legal positions and time frames. I can remember a job I had working 5 days out of 7 for a few years - they then wanted to spread it over 6 out of 7 - I spoke to ACAS and they informed me by law that any hours less than 48 (not classed as overtime) you are entitled to 1.5 days a month accumulated holiday on a 6 out of 7 rather than 1 acc day s month on 5 days- employer soon changed their mind lol

As regards the diabetes I can't help there but as others have said you are protected - Diabetes UK can be very helpful with this if you contact them :)