Game changer for long term Type 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I have lurked amongst you all for nearly a year now and although I don't usually contribute on forums, I felt I had to register and share some of my recent journey. First of all, many thanks to all on the forum, it is a huge source of information and there are many inspirational posters. I have learnt more from here than attending diabetes clinics for 12 years.

A bit of background first, I was diagnosed as Type 2 back in 2007, I don't know how high my score was but I would guess not outrageously high. I was put on metformin, pioglitazone and a statin (of course) and given the Eat Well lecture. I adjusted my diet (a bit) and at that time I had a BMI of 30, so just obese. Over the next 11 years my weight fluctuated by a stone up and down, I kept taking the meds and at the annual reviews I was congratulated on my "well controlled" diabetes. I never took any particular interest in the test results, if the diabetic nurse said it was all ok than that was fine with me. Nobody ever mentioned my weight.

In April 2018 I was 14 stone 11lb and BMI was creeping up. With the help of my wife, we enrolled with Weight Watchers with a target to shed 3st. I know people knock WW, but the discipline of turning up every Wednesday committed to losing some weight really helped. We quickly worked out that if we ditched potatoes, rice, bread and pasta we would have loads of points left every week for alcohol (I know, I know). My missus said that we were following a low carb diet which is how I ended up on here. We quickly learned more things that we should bin like fruit, all the low fat options etc. I registered on line with the GP and discovered that my "well controlled" HbA1c over the last ten years averaged 55! By the time I had bought a meter and started testing I had lost 20lb and my estimated HbA1c was below 50 and falling.

I arranged a diabetic check up at the end of November 2018. By that time my weight had dropped to 11st 9 and I was a healthy weight BMI for the first time in 35 years. My HbA1c was 42. Despite previously recommending not to go low carb and not to stop the metformin all the diabetic nurse could do was laugh and say that I had done amazingly well!

I've got my blood test next week and my own testing says I am still low 40's and I gave up metformin, pioglitazone and the statin. I've lost a few more pounds and feel in control of my own health for the first time.

Anyway, a bit of a long ramble, but I just wanted to say that even as a long term diabetic I have been able to make huge improvements and get away from the drugs. Keep waving the flag and supporting people like me, this site is making a difference to the health of countless people.

Reactions: Cazzabean11

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I have lurked amongst you all for nearly a year now and although I don't usually contribute on forums, I felt I had to register and share some of my recent journey. First of all, many thanks to all on the forum, it is a huge source of information and there are many inspirational posters. I have learnt more from here than attending diabetes clinics for 12 years.

A bit of background first, I was diagnosed as Type 2 back in 2007, I don't know how high my score was but I would guess not outrageously high. I was put on metformin, pioglitazone and a statin (of course) and given the Eat Well lecture. I adjusted my diet (a bit) and at that time I had a BMI of 30, so just obese. Over the next 11 years my weight fluctuated by a stone up and down, I kept taking the meds and at the annual reviews I was congratulated on my "well controlled" diabetes. I never took any particular interest in the test results, if the diabetic nurse said it was all ok than that was fine with me. Nobody ever mentioned my weight.

In April 2018 I was 14 stone 11lb and BMI was creeping up. With the help of my wife, we enrolled with Weight Watchers with a target to shed 3st. I know people knock WW, but the discipline of turning up every Wednesday committed to losing some weight really helped. We quickly worked out that if we ditched potatoes, rice, bread and pasta we would have loads of points left every week for alcohol (I know, I know). My missus said that we were following a low carb diet which is how I ended up on here. We quickly learned more things that we should bin like fruit, all the low fat options etc. I registered on line with the GP and discovered that my "well controlled" HbA1c over the last ten years averaged 55! By the time I had bought a meter and started testing I had lost 20lb and my estimated HbA1c was below 50 and falling.

I arranged a diabetic check up at the end of November 2018. By that time my weight had dropped to 11st 9 and I was a healthy weight BMI for the first time in 35 years. My HbA1c was 42. Despite previously recommending not to go low carb and not to stop the metformin all the diabetic nurse could do was laugh and say that I had done amazingly well!

I've got my blood test next week and my own testing says I am still low 40's and I gave up metformin, pioglitazone and the statin. I've lost a few more pounds and feel in control of my own health for the first time.

Anyway, a bit of a long ramble, but I just wanted to say that even as a long term diabetic I have been able to make huge improvements and get away from the drugs. Keep waving the flag and supporting people like me, this site is making a difference to the health of countless people.
Wow! Firstly this took my breath away and secondly well done for turning the tide. And thirdly for sharing your journey. It is so very sad that diabetics are given advice that will make their condition worse. Many of us on this forum and others have recognised this and are striving to make changes. Sometimes it feels like we are trying to rurn the titanic with a little finger. Other times it feels like a breakthrough could be imminent!

In the meantime keep doing what you are doing. You are doing fabulous!!!! Inspirational.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! It’s terrible that you were told you were in control when we all know that 55 isn’t! :wideyed:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done to you and to your wife! Onwards and downwards.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Justacountryboy - a great big well done from me.

Change is never easy, and after a goodly time doing well, according to your nurse, to seek out change is extra special.

Keep up the good work, after all, you must have a whole bunch of new clothes you need to wear out!

Has your wife had similar successes, with the new way of eating?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Splendid achievement! Well done :D

And thank you for letting us know. Hugely inspirational.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all, I am proud of the changes we've made. My other half lost two stone (although I think she is too skinny now!) she loves the low carb, but is still struggling to come to terms with high fat. We raise our own pigs and lambs, so plenty of healthy fat there she enjoys.

Test results next week, then working out the next stage in the journey.

Reactions: Krystyna23040