Meh! I've had it with all this palaver

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
I'd like to add kale crisps is quite good too, in a shallow pan, not too much oil, put in chopped kale until crispy and add a bit of salt and pepper. :) You could use the oven too, but do keep an eye on it because it can burn quite quickly. I am proud of you in taking a step in the right direction - taking meds. Food takes a bit of time, so please experiment and become a master chef at some point. :hilarious:
My culinary experiments have so far been mostly disastrous

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My culinary experiments have so far been mostly disastrous

Aethalides - Do you have a wok? If you do, crack slaw is super easy to do.

https://lowcarbyum.com/low-carb-crack-slaw-beef-cabbage/

I have made this loads of times, and honestly, it has never been the same twice, although that's a good and bad thing! Sometimes I use minced beef, otherers chicken, others leftover rast meats, and almost always use a bag of coleslaw mix, becaue I can be lazy. It can be great for using leftover bit of veg, to clear the fridge though.

@JohnEGreen - Roughly, how long do you give your swede chips in the air fryer?

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
Aethalides - Do you have a wok? If you do, crack slaw is super easy to do.

https://lowcarbyum.com/low-carb-crack-slaw-beef-cabbage/

I have made this loads of times, and honestly, it has never been the same twice, although that's a good and bad thing! Sometimes I use minced beef, otherers chicken, others leftover rast meats, and almost always use a bag of coleslaw mix, becaue I can be lazy. It can be great for using leftover bit of veg, to clear the fridge though.

@JohnEGreen - Roughly, how long do you give your swede chips in the air fryer?
I do not have a wook but maybe I can buy one cheap somewhere

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
A frying pan will do.
Yeah I must admit I've never made any stiry fry. It feels exotic and adventurous. I'll have to prepare myself mentally to get in the r0ight frame of mind

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah I must admit I've never made any stiry fry. It feels exotic and adventurous. I'll have to prepare myself mentally to get in the r0ight frame of mind
Firstly, I think it's amazing that you created this post, for whatever reason.

There is a lot to feel **** about with diabetes and I think sometimes the "good" diabetics can harp on and make others feel worse, but their enthusiasm is needed. We are all different. What works for one, doesn't work for another. Some people like to cook, some hate it. Some eat loads of carbs, some eat none. What you can take from it is there is no right way to do anything. You do what works for you.

Lifting your mood should be your first priority. Managing diabetes is going to be like swimming upstream and never going to happen. I know many people fear antidepressants and think they can pull themselves out of depression, but seriously, there is no shame in feeling low. I think, if you are brave enough/have the energy, you could go to your doctor or consultant, even nurse and say how you feel. Our minds are extraordinary things, capable of destroying us and elevating us. Look after it.

Good luck.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I do not have a wook but maybe I can buy one cheap somewhere
Asda and Home Bargains - or any supermarket really - will do you one for a good price. Think mine was about £15 and nothing sticks to it, it’s a Tefal. I use it for cooking everything!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly, I think it's amazing that you created this post, for whatever reason.

There is a lot to feel **** about with diabetes and I think sometimes the "good" diabetics can harp on and make others feel worse, but their enthusiasm is needed. We are all different. What works for one, doesn't work for another. Some people like to cook, some hate it. Some eat loads of carbs, some eat none. What you can take from it is there is no right way to do anything. You do what works for you.

Lifting your mood should be your first priority. Managing diabetes is going to be like swimming upstream and never going to happen. I know many people fear antidepressants and think they can pull themselves out of depression, but seriously, there is no shame in feeling low. I think, if you are brave enough/have the energy, you could go to your doctor or consultant, even nurse and say how you feel. Our minds are extraordinary things, capable of destroying us and elevating us. Look after it.

Good luck.
Managing diabetes is never going to happen? It most certainly does happen and managing our health since diagnosis is actually easier and has liberated us from other ailments.

@Aethalides my apologies in advance if what I’m about to write insults your cooking ability. Buy a bag of raw stir fry and a chicken breast. Cut the chicken up into nugget size, it doesn’t have to be exact, it’s just that small pieces cook faster.
Put the pan on the heat and put a lump of ghee/lard/dripping/coconut oil in the pan. About two teaspoons should do it but it doesn’t have to be exact. Heat it up until you see it start to smoke and put the chicken in. Move it about the pan until it’s gone white. It will spit and be noisy. When it’s gone white, tip the veggies out of the bag into the pan and keep stirring. It will shrink a bit and get softer.
You’ll know when it’s ready when it looks like you could tip it on your plate and eat the lot.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Asda and Home Bargains - or any supermarket really - will do you one for a good price. Think mine was about £15 and nothing sticks to it, it’s a Tefal. I use it for cooking everything!

Tefal is so worth it. Not even porridge or scrambled eggs stick to their pans for long.

Reactions: Aethalides

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got to say I like stainless steel woks. A good seasoning (burning oil deliberately to create a coating, very very smokey. Best done on a bbq outside) stops a lot of sticking and if you just use hot water and reoil directly after each use it gets better and better. If it needs more than a good hot soak you can always give it a good scrub and start again. I’ve had my dirt cheap one 30 years.

I hate the thought of peeling flaking tefal or other chemical non stick coating getting in my food or in me

D

Deleted member 308541

I hate the thought of peeling flaking tefal or other chemical non stick coating getting in my food or in me
Hmmm! Teflon my favourite additive... :D

bm32LuJ.jpg

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl provided an excellent small wok - and I found a really low carb bread - protein bread, in Asda.
Sometimes out of stock, so if you see what you want, seize it, even if it means getting a freezer to store stuff until needed.
Well done too on taking the medication - and on getting into cooking too.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I use a cast iron skillet these days no Teflon relatively easy to clean and if given a thin coating of oil when not in use will probably outlast me.

Reactions: HSSS

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
Most initial efforts are. But don’t be disheartened, we’ll help as much as we can. What are your favourite meals?
I like meatloaf but that's full of carbs innit so you're probably saying bad :(
My spag bol aint' bad. And I can roast and fry things like there's no tomorrow
What I really like is ossobuco and also petit salé with lentils but I don't think I'm quite ready to make those kind of dishes
Anything beyond that is ..., like I tried to make meatloaf a while ago it came out not quite what I had in mind. It was barely edible

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like meatloaf but that's full of carbs innit so you're probably saying bad :(
My spag bol aint' bad. And I can roast and fry things like there's no tomorrow
What I really like is ossobuco and also petit salé with lentils but I don't think I'm quite ready to make those kind of dishes
Anything beyond that is ..., like I tried to make meatloaf a while ago it came out not quite what I had in mind. It was barely edible

Save the posh stuff for meals out. Meat loaf is only high in carbs if you add carbs to it. There's a whole section here on low carb foods and thousands of sites out there dedicated to the same. Just put 'low-carb' in form of any dish on a search engine and it's there.

I'm a fan of one pot dishes (no dishwasher) so any joint of meat will go in the slow cooker and get scarfed. If you can fry then fry off some chicken, mushrooms, garlic, onions and green beans. Add a goodly amount of double cream, maybe some cream cheese? Parmesan? That's all you need.
How about bacon, tomatoes and mayo all wrapped up in crunchy iceberg? Celery sticks groaning under the weight of best butter and LIDL's chicken parfait?

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Managing diabetes is never going to happen? It most certainly does happen and managing our health since diagnosis is actually easier and has liberated us from other ailments.

@Aethalides my apologies in advance if what I’m about to write insults your cooking ability. Buy a bag of raw stir fry and a chicken breast. Cut the chicken up into nugget size, it doesn’t have to be exact, it’s just that small pieces cook faster.
Put the pan on the heat and put a lump of ghee/lard/dripping/coconut oil in the pan. About two teaspoons should do it but it doesn’t have to be exact. Heat it up until you see it start to smoke and put the chicken in. Move it about the pan until it’s gone white. It will spit and be noisy. When it’s gone white, tip the veggies out of the bag into the pan and keep stirring. It will shrink a bit and get softer.
You’ll know when it’s ready when it looks like you could tip it on your plate and eat the lot.
Sorry, you misinterpreted me. I meant it won't happen if you are feeling pants, managing diabetes takes determination and motivation, none of which you have when you are depressed. I was just trying to say that our mind should not be ignored if we are not in a good place. Thank you for your enthusiasm in getting on top of it all though!

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im going to be harsh.You can eat right,take your meds and live,or you can not take your meds,eat whatever you want and die.
What you describe,to me,is depression IMO.You need to work out that issue or you will be a sick sick person.Get to Dr and truthfully tell him/her what your life is like so you can get the real help that you need.IMO.