Meh! I've had it with all this palaver

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
eek!

I feel a tiny wheemsy better today in spite of the skyhigh reading, but I just cannot think about giving up sausages and bread or taters or rice

As for the high fat diet I'm kinda afraid of the high potential cholesterol?

View attachment 32409
Just glad to read that you're feeling better and I hope more inspired to get back on track. You can do it! :bag:

Reactions: Aethalides

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
eek!

I feel a tiny wheemsy better today in spite of the skyhigh reading, but I just cannot think about giving up sausages and bread or taters or rice

View attachment 32409
I really wouldn't worry about the cholesterol in sausages and fat etc if I were you:
point 1- It's really debatable whether eating fat is that dangerous for your cholesterol
point 2- you just need to get those numbers down. 26 is far, far too high. Starch and sugar are your biggest problem right now. Eggs and bacon or tuna and spinach: you can take your pick, but you need to start swapping starch for fat (or fasting).

Reactions: Aethalides

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really pleased your'e a tiny bit better. O.k so you find it hard to resist bread, rice etc. In that case why don't you buy the lower carb bread and you can get low carb rice in Morrisons or no carb rice in Holland and Barrett. To be fair, rice doesn't really taste of anything, it's the flavours of the food you eat with it. Hovis do a lower carb bread which is in most supermarkets. At least that way you won't be eating as many carbs. At the end of the day it is your health and well being at stake and you wouldn't want to make added problems for yourself. Once you get through this state of mind, I'm sure you will be able to get back on track, but you don't want to feel better in yourself and then end up poorly due to poor diabetes control. A level of 26 is really high as you know. Have you started to take your medication yet as that might kick start your recovery. Come on, I know you can do it. Do let us know how you get on.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
I'm not type 2 but please reach out for help or for therapy so you have a reason to go out and talk to someone.
I love carbs and some times it's not worth my insulin for it, however there are small changes you can do to reduce carbs. You could try cauliflower rice, not the prepackaged one because I always find it expensive and it smells strong. if you grate your cauliflower or put it in the food processor, it looks like rice and tastes just as good with stir fry or egg fried rice with any sides. With bread, I've seen people bake their own bread with almond flour and it looks very good, it could be a substitute. It is a lot of effort, but it's worth the extra mile for good blood sugars. I hope you find the time to experiment with food, it's not all too bad. :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might just mean ditching low fat substitutes, a few extra nuts and. A bit of butter. It’s doesnt have to mean eating blocks of lard!

And the whole cholesterol problem is in question if it even is a problem let alone if dietary fat causes it. (Lots of threads inhere to read all about the issues) Low carb high fat eating usually lowers cholesterol and improves ratios once weight has stabilised. Weight loss by ANY method often temporarily raises cholesterol as lipids are released by the body into the blood as part of the process.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @Aethalides, like MeiChanski, I’m T1 but know that a bs of 26 will leave you feeling totally pants, and make life not worth living!
There are low carb sausages available, like others have said, and lots of things that’ll fill you up without raising your bs. Why not tell yourself that you’ll give it a go for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference? You might need to have a store of ready cooked and already bought stuff in the fridge so that it doesn’t seem like too much of a chore: cold sausages, hard boiled eggs, cheese, lettuce leaves to roll up tuna, mayo and onion wraps instead of the carb ones, bacon or steak or to cook with the mushrooms and egg for supper, celery to dip in cottage cheese etc etc. Just try it and see what happens.
It’s tough working from home if you don’t have social interaction so evening or daytime swimming/running/martial arts group, or evening classes on something totally not IT?
I’ll be really interested to know how you get on.
Right now, though, hugs.

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
Hi @Aethalides, like MeiChanski, I’m T1 but know that a bs of 26 will leave you feeling totally pants, and make life not worth living!
There are low carb sausages available, like others have said, and lots of things that’ll fill you up without raising your bs. Why not tell yourself that you’ll give it a go for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference? You might need to have a store of ready cooked and already bought stuff in the fridge so that it doesn’t seem like too much of a chore: cold sausages, hard boiled eggs, cheese, lettuce leaves to roll up tuna, mayo and onion wraps instead of the carb ones, bacon or steak or to cook with the mushrooms and egg for supper, celery to dip in cottage cheese etc etc. Just try it and see what happens.
It’s tough working from home if you don’t have social interaction so evening or daytime swimming/running/martial arts group, or evening classes on something totally not IT?
I’ll be really interested to know how you get on.
Right now, though, hugs.
I used to like going to swim. I'm building up the courage to go again but looking like the hindenburg puts me off

I signed up for free veg. Thursday I'll get the first bag which I find I'm actually looking forward to

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I used to like going to swim. I'm building up the courage to go again but looking like the hindenburg puts me off

I signed up for free veg. Thursday I'll get the first bag which I find I'm actually looking forward to

That’s great, free veg, what’s not to love. And I’ve seen all shapes and sizes in the swimming pool - so just go for it! You’ll be more conscious of your body than the other swimmers, and you can wow them all as you get slimmer and slimmer - but promise you won’t turn into a stick!
I love swimming too, it makes you feel so good, free endorphins alongside the free veg

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve just googled your chosen Monika - do you have total recall? Very useful for carb contents, unlike the rest of us who have to use apps and packets.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I know. I can do this that and the other but the thing is starting.

You guys have been very friendly and helpful, I just wish there was someone here too, to drag me out of bed and take me outside etc

No, and I’m going to be harsh here, the only one who can do that is you. Those levels are damaging your body now and you know what you have to do to change them and that choice is your responsibility.

You can have a whole community on your side but nobody is responsible for your decisions and actions, only you.

I believe in your power to turn this thing around.

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
I’ve just googled your chosen Monika - do you have total recall? Very useful for carb contents, unlike the rest of us who have to use apps and packets.
Thanks fairy godmother. No I don't have total recall but I love both the original and remake of that movie.

But I really chose it because I thought it would be so cool to remember everything even beyond death...

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
No, and I’m going to be harsh here, the only one who can do that is you. Those levels are damaging your body now and you know what you have to do to change them and that choice is your responsibility.

You can have a whole community on your side but nobody is responsible for your decisions and actions, only you.

I believe in your power to turn this thing around.
Ok I'm making up my mind. Tomorrow I'll take my Meds

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve just seen the pic of the reading you took and that is serious. My other bit of advice is to call your out of hours service and ask if you need to be seen today, that high level
Ok I'm making up my mind. Tomorrow I'll take my Meds

Yes!

Now onto that reading you posted earlier, that is serious **** and needs to come down. Glic alone won’t do it, you MUST drop those carbs and PLEASE see a doctor. High levels like that can make you very ill, very quickly.

Edited by mod for poorly disguised profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tomorrow. Carbs gone or meds back. Two choices. Make one.

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
I’ve just seen the pic of the reading you took and that is serious. My other bit of advice is to call your out of hours service and ask if you need to be seen today, that high level

Yes!

Now onto that reading you posted earlier, that is serious **** and needs to come down. Glic alone won’t do it, you MUST drop those carbs and PLEASE see a doctor. High levels like that can make you very ill, very quickly.
I got doc appointment but it isn't until 1 May. Aparently it's busy this time of year.

So far my 26 reading was a one off. The rest are all down to 18/14 again.

I just had 3 roast chicken tighs with 2 jacket potatoes and 400g of cauliflower cheese. 1 orange for afters.

Those are the kinds of meals I really like. How would you improve this?

Edited by mod for poorly disguised profanity in quote box.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 308541

I just had 3 roast chicken thighs with 2 jacket potatoes and 400g of cauliflower cheese. 1 orange for afters.

Those are the kinds of meals I really like. How would you improve this?
Get rid of the jacket potatoes, and the orange for a start... :D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The jackets are the worst bit, have more cauliflower cheese instead (just cauli and cheese maybe cream ideally without flour/milk) and maybe a green veg to bulk it out.

Keep posting meals and we’ll help tweak them!

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear you are taking your meds tomorrow. That's a really good start. Don't forget to test on a regular basis until you get your levels to a reasonable level. As for the food choice, chicken is great but potatoes have to go, for now at least. Do you like raspberries with cream or low carb ice cream? or some dark chocolate. That would be better than the orange. Still, you're making a start and I'm sure once you get into the zone, you'll soon start to see results. Now, don't forget to check in here tomorrow so that we can help to keep you on track. Take care.

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
Get rid of the jacket potatoes, and the orange for a start... :D
No oranges!? Those are amongst the only fruit I eat.... Sigh all this feels like a punishment by the worst diet ever. Everything you like is suddenly off limits. I keep thinking is it really worth it. Is diabetes really harmful to me if my readings are 13/18 (fasting/post pranderial). I do have the worst joint pain in my fingers in the mornings but that is probably "just" arthritis.

Ok breaky is normally fry up of 4 sausages and 3 spicy sausages, 2 eggs and 2 slices of buttered toast and an orange. The sauasages all together are about 50g of carbs but I cannot live without those spicy sausages!!!

Lunch is usually a fry-up too. 7 to 9 spicy sausages and 2 slices of toast. A cup a soup of cream of asparagus and... 2 pots of Rachel's heavenly rice pudding. Or, if I have strawberries about 300g of strawberries with whipped cream.

You guys are propably all going to chide me for my food choices :(

I guess, speaking rationally, food is about the only pleasurable aspect of my life and the restrictions the diabetes wants to impose just sap the last flicker of pleasure out of my life...