Airport confiscates insulin from women with type 1 diabetes

DCUK NewsBot

An airport has promised to review its procedures after security staff took away a woman’s insulin. Jayne Knott, from Hull, described the security at Leeds Bradford Airport on 10 April as "chaotic" after workers confiscated her insulin while she was preparing to board her flight. Mrs Knott told the BBC she had to be "patted down and scanned because of wearing an insulin pump" and was unaware that her medication had been taken away to be swabbed. This all happened despite Mrs Knott following official advice and wearing a lanyard to indicate she has a medical condition. She got onto the Cyprus-bound flight having not checked her bag, and her insulin and blood glucose monitor had not been returned. Mrs Knott said she has always been "always so careful" about ensuring her insulin was close to hand and had "never left anything behind before". She said: "I really feel like not flying abroad again because of what's happened unless the airport security staff do something to change their procedures to allow additional time for us to go through and explain the situation with regards to the equipment that can't be scanned." In response a spokesperson for the airport said procedures would be reviewed concerning "passengers travelling with medical equipment". The spokesperson added: "Therefore we would like to apologise to Mrs Knott for any inconvenience caused and have also been in direct contact with Mrs Knott to try and reunite her with the medical equipment." Earlier this year, a woman whose son was stopped at airport security because of his insulin pump launched a Medical Device Awareness Card, sponsored by the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and Airport Operators Association (AOA), which is available to be downloaded online.

Continue reading...

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just about to watch this report on our local news. Have travelled through Leeds Bradford lots of times with no problems, so will be interested to see what’s said.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Watched it. Very confused! Have all my stuff together in a large separate carry on bag. I would know if it wasn’t with me when I boarded the plane.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I've experienced is devices with standard batteries installed can be swabbed (explosive check I believe.) if found during an X-ray scan?
But normally, this has been done with the device kept in view & in reach on a counter, located near the bag after removal for inspection..
After the swab test I was allowed to re pack the "suspect device" & move on..
I have never used Leeds Bradford. But can understand in the security kerfufffle of removing shoes & belts & wot not to walk through a scanner, certain items could get left behind at a checkpoint? If not kept together in those sliding trays..

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I assume she sent her 'normal' hand luggage (and fluids bag, and all the other stuff they insist on scanning) through the x-ray as normal. Why on earth didn't she send her insulin and pump infusion sets etc. with that? It's only the actual pump that has a scanning problem isn't it?

The report said her insulin was taken to be swabbed and she was 'unaware' this had happened. Wow. In an airport there are three things I'm constantly checking: passport, wallet, medication. Everything else I can stay alive without. (I would include the pump, but I'm usually attached ).

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter is a software engineer and was selected for a search before boarding a flight home. In the process her laptop with all her work on it was left behind. Luckily a work colleague could go to collect it - eventually - as it had been mistakenly labelled as left behind in the main airport, not in the security area, and there followed a massive transfer of data over the internet to get all her vastly important data to her with all the worry about security on top of finding a laptop capable of handling the task. I can quite believe that with all that going on it is perfectly possible to be handed back a bag which no longer contains all that was originally packed into it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter is a software engineer and was selected for a search before boarding a flight home. In the process her laptop with all her work on it was left behind. Luckily a work colleague could go to collect it - eventually - as it had been mistakenly labelled as left behind in the main airport, not in the security area, and there followed a massive transfer of data over the internet to get all her vastly important data to her with all the worry about security on top of finding a laptop capable of handling the task. I can quite believe that with all that going on it is perfectly possible to be handed back a bag which no longer contains all that was originally packed into it.

The security "protocol" I've experienced has involved my bag being held back & myself removing items till they find what has been flagged up on the scan. They check it. I pack it back after & wished a pleasant onward journey..
Standard procedure, my belongings have never been out of my sight or further than arms length & right next to the hand luggage it was carried in..

Lol, I've been stopped a few times. But not for anything diabetes related.

Book_woorm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I have more conditions than just Type 1 so I do actually carry half a pharmacy on to airplanes. I tell the people at the scanner that I have to carry meds including insulin not to mention some other drugs that can land you in jail in some countries.
Not many blokes carry hand bags but I do and have done so for many years, all my meds and sharps go into it. I've found the that If I have a bag with a lock which I actually lock it before it goes though the scanner then the jobs worths have to ask for it to be opened it if they have a problem. I then ask to speak to the supervisor/manager get out your hospital documentation before agreeing to open up and then have a second, hopefully sensible, conversation.
Be patient, Be firm, Don't allow anything to be taken out of your sight and above all double check that you still have everything you should have.