Eggs and bacon, spiking blood sugar??

Wolfhardt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently have been moving to much lower carbs, I am a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic. I had bacon and eggs for my first meal at 10:30am this morning. I tested before the meal, I was at 95. Ate 4 strips of bacon and 3 egglands best eggs. Drank 1 can of diet mountain dew. Tested 4 hours later and was 172. Found this very odd. Food was cooked in non-hydroginated pure leaf lard so no butter. That seems like a rather large spike out of the blue. Has anyone else experienced this, have any idea what could be the culprit?

Reactions: Evie-D

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Suggest you Google gluconeogenesis. It could be a good starting point.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you have responded to the sweetener in Mountain Dew? I get rises in response to some sweetners. Have you ever checked it on it’s own?

Wolfhardt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never specifically checked from artificial sweetners. I will try this tommarrow with bacon and eggs and check response, thanks for the suggestions.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the meantime it would help future posts if you finished completing your profile with diabetes type and treatment. People need to know you’re on insulin when giving their thoughts and it helps when you comment 9n other threads to know where you’re coming from.

I’m presuming you rechecked to make sure it wasn’t a rogue contaminated reading?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was the meal shortly after getting out of bed or later on?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never specifically checked from artificial sweetners. I will try this tommarrow with bacon and eggs and check response, thanks for the suggestions.
What kind of bacon? How many carbs on the packet?

Wolfhardt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In the meantime it would help future posts if you finished completing your profile with diabetes type and treatment. People need to know you’re on insulin when giving their thoughts and it helps when you comment 9n other threads to know where you’re coming from.

I’m presuming you rechecked to make sure it wasn’t a rogue contaminated reading?

I posted both type and treatment in my original post. And yes I rechecked the reading. I will update my profile.

Reactions: HSSS

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you carb count for inslin, I assume you know that with a very low carb meal you need to count the protein and use about half of the inslin you would of it it was carbs.

Also your background inslin need may reduce a lot of you keep to very low carb, so monitor carefull.

I think this is all covered in the "Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" book. However ideally you need a doctor who understands low carb for people on inslin.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
If you carb count for inslin, I assume you know that with a very low carb meal you need to count the protein and use about half of the inslin you would of it it was carbs.

Also your background inslin need may reduce a lot of you keep to very low carb, so monitor carefull.

I think this is all covered in the "Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" book. However ideally you need a doctor who understands low carb for people on inslin.
Never knew that about the protein, thankyou

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted both type and treatment in my original post. And yes I rechecked the reading. I will update my profile.
I did see that but unless you do so every post it can easily get missed. Thanks. It’ll save people asking you constantly too which gets a bit annoying for you.

There is however a bug on the software. You only show to me as “type 2” under your avatar not “type two on insulin”. Was there that option or two apparently identical type 2 options? Could you go back in and try the other one?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was probably an hour or so out of bed. But I had taken my blood sugar upon waking and had the reading of 95. So I had ruled out dawn syndrome.
If you got the 95 on waking and then didn’t eat your bacon and eggs til an hour later, you won’t know if dawn phenomenon set in between waking and eating, your blood sugar may have already risen before you ate.

Wolfhardt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you got the 95 on waking and then didn’t eat your bacon and eggs til an hour later, you won’t know if dawn phenomenon set in between waking and eating, your blood sugar may have already risen before you ate.

I apologize, I kind of mispoke here. I ment that i had taken it after waking, before eating. I check my sugars directly pre-meals then carb count.

Wolfhardt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Interesting, I actually had never heard this. I have always taken insulin on a carb based scale after doctors failed to ever get my sugars under control with whatever random dosages they were giving me. But I am only very recently going super low carb.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I apologize, I kind of mispoke here. I ment that i had taken it after waking, before eating. I check my sugars directly pre-meals then carb count.
Sorry I’m still confused. It was 95 both on waking and again directly before eating an hour later? Is that right?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah that’s ok no worries. I know that if I don’t have breakfast straight away after I get up, even before showering and dressing, then my liver tries to be helpful by chucking out glucose.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that eating a small amount of carbs with my first meal I saw lower levels of glucose - I don't know the reason but it was the difference between rising levels and steady ones.