Type 2 Hypothetical : If you could only afford to test your BG once a day...

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
When would be the most effective time to give you a mean/an average idea of where your BG level might be sitting?

a) First thing when you wake up
b) Last thing before bed
c) Middle of the day around the same time every day
d) Randomly

M

Member496333

Fasting first thing in the morning, as it’s the best metric of hepatic insulin resistance. But I say that already knowing that nothing I eat will cause a spike, so...

Reactions: KookieMunchster

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
Fasting first thing in the morning, as it’s the best metric of hepatic insulin resistance. But I say that already knowing that nothing I eat will cause a spike, so...

Thank you! That’s insightful

D

Deleted Account

Doesn’t it depend why you are testing?
  • If you are testing to ensure you are on track and adjust your treatment if you are not, a fasting test is probably useful
  • If you want to know what impact an activity or food the has, you would alternate the days of testing and use two one day (one before the food type or activity and one 2 hours later) and use none the next day
  • If you have an ability to change your BG (relatively) quickly through some treatment, you would save your strip until you are feeling “off”. If your test gives a high reading you take insulin or go for a walk, if your test gives a low reading, you eat some me fast acting insulin.
  • If you undertake an activity that is dangerous with an “inappropriate” BG, you save the strip until you do that activity (e.g. can’t drive if BG is too low or can’t exercise if BG is too high)
  • If you test, write the number down in a book or spreadsheet and do nothing else, you can give your test strip away because there is no point in testing.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd maybe cheat and do a whole day's test once a week or so,but I have a fair idea of what my glucose levels will be, so in reality I'd save my strips for full days testing when I'm stressed and/or ill or taking meds (e;g; corticosteroids, statins) known to raise glucose levels - or maybe even eating something I would expect to spike me to see how "bad" that spike was.

So somewhat similar to @helensaramay''s suggestions.

Robbity

ShortStuff

If it was ‘allowed’ I’d save them until I could get a meaningful reading with them.

If that’s not ‘allowed’ and it’s a ‘use it or lose it’ situation I’d test late evening and if it was high, go for a walk before going to bed.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Theoretically that isn't possible - you can't get an average from a single reading.
Personally - if I had just one opportunity to test it would be after dinner - as that is my most varied meal. It presupposes that my first meal of the day - being pretty standard is not of interest. I know that I did not get a high reading for some weeks once I sorted out what to eat.
It would not be an average, it would let me know if my highest reading of the day was within bounds. For me that is the most important thing - having a 'normal' Hba1c is of no use if it is due to lows and highs being averaged out. An average of 50 could be from 49 and 51 or 10 and 90

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting bg is always higher than at any time during the rest of the day, so just using that would give me a very inflated expectation on my HbA1c.

I think I would do as Robbity suggested.
Save up the strips for a week then test
On waking. Pre and 2 hrs post each meal, and then (if I had any left) before bed.
Of course a food diary would be needed to track alongside.

But... in reality, if I needed the info, I would not be relying on the NHS rationing my strips.
The Tee2 and Codefree meters have pots of 50 strips for less than the cost of a prescription charge, and that allows for around 7 tests for £1. I have never received any testing equipment on prescription and have always self funded.

I do appreciate that many of us are on very limited incomes, but £1 for all that info? I view it as a v wise investment.