Morning blood glucose to HbA1c

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my diabetes “managed” with diet only.

I test my BG in a morning only, so I can average my morning tests but can this correlate to the HbA1c test, or do I need to test at other times if the day?

I can see converters on the website, but it says “average blood glucose” so I’m not sure if my morning test is enough.

Thank you

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have my diabetes “managed” with diet only.

I test my BG in a morning only, so I can average my morning tests but can this correlate to the HbA1c test, or do I need to test at other times if the day?

I can see converters on the website, but it says “average blood glucose” so I’m not sure if my morning test is enough.

Thank you

Probably not, your average would depend on high your levels get at other times

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you measure morning BG you can correlate it with an Hba1c but on a day to day basis it will not correlate well.

I average my morning BG, my feet on the floor BG, over a month and then convert the average to Hba1c. Then I use a running 3 month average of Hba1c as my prediction. This is then checked against whatever lab produced Hba1c I have. There is always an error but it is ball park. I can, because I have some years of records, also apply an average predicted Hba1c to lab Hba1c deviation which narrows the error considerably. From this my prediction is about 1 - 2 mMol out.

The question is is it worth it? I do it because I can and I have a spread sheet set up. My family think, and are probably right, that I am obsessive.

The Hba1c is an, approximately, 3 month average of blood glucose and accounts for all the variations in that period. The finger rick BG is a spot measure. So in reality there should be no actual correlation.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The short answer is No.

You have no idea how high you are running post meal, every meal, and for how long.

To correlate to an HbA1c you need to know what your highest levels are as well as your lowest, and even then it is hit and miss whether you get the average right, and this needs to be done over a 3 month period.