Type 1 Terrible at eye tests but pretty sure I don’t need glasses?

Alexemily

Random one but thought as we are all In the same boat with regular eye tests someone might know more than me!

Every check up it’s the same thing, first eye is fine no problems, but the other eye I can’t even see the top letter when doing the eye test, when they put the little glasses with holes thing on my visions perfect in both, so they always advise glasses- however I haven’t had a headache in as long as I can remember! And really have no problems reading/seeing anything far away unless I close my ‘good’ eye!

Will getting glasses prolong my sight does any one know? I really can’t think when I’d wear them as don’t really use computers/read or have any difficulty with anything sight related!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sometimes specs can, over time, correct vision. Poorer vision does not necessarily cause headaches in every case and as for using your good eye all the time this puts pressure on that eye.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not any comment related to diabetes, just to eyes. I have been short sighted since secondary school, I wore glasses then contact lens. Around the age of 40 I decided to have corrective laser surgery however I was starting to lack ‘accommodation ’ so would have had to have reading glasses which kind of defeated the object of corrective surgery. After a lot of research I eventually opted to have laser surgery in my dominant eye for distance and correction for reading in the other eye, it’s called mono vision. What I’m trying to say is it is actually a recognised thing to have good distance vision in one eye but not the other. I had it done around ten years ago and have had no problems and remain glasses or lenses free :)

Reactions: Alexemily

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Random one but thought as we are all In the same boat with regular eye tests someone might know more than me!

Every check up it’s the same thing, first eye is fine no problems, but the other eye I can’t even see the top letter when doing the eye test, when they put the little glasses with holes thing on my visions perfect in both, so they always advise glasses- however I haven’t had a headache in as long as I can remember! And really have no problems reading/seeing anything far away unless I close my ‘good’ eye!

Will getting glasses prolong my sight does any one know? I really can’t think when I’d wear them as don’t really use computers/read or have any difficulty with anything sight related!

Get glasses ... that's an obvious conclusion. If you can't read the major letter, then it MUST be corrected. Been there done that with specs and contacts for 55 years. You're 26 ... get them !

DO NOT get laser surgery under ANY circumstances. A dear friend, professor and expert in the entire field in the United States told me horror stories of the things that can go wrong. NO, NO and NO.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get glasses ... that's an obvious conclusion. If you can't read the major letter, then it MUST be corrected. Been there done that with specs and contacts for 55 years

DO NOT get laser surgery under ANY circumstances. A dear friend, professor and expert in the entire field in the United States told me horror stories of the things that can go wrong. NO, NO and NO.
I did my research, used an ophthalmic surgeon not a high street optician and mine was just fine and still is. There are risks with any surgery of course and I went into it with my eyes open (so to speak :joyful::hilarious:) I was just citing mine as an example of having one near sighted eye and one distance eye with no detriment to my sight as a whole, I wasn’t advocating laser surgery to the OP.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Wasn't suggesting you did @Rachox

But I'm strongly OPPOSED to it and the line of least resistance is a far better choice ... spectacles or corrective contact

D

Deleted member 308541

My eyes are my most valuable possession, I have been wearing reading wearing glasses since 1984, until I went on to bifocals for both reading and distance vision in 1995 approx.

I used to get my eyes tested every two years , but since I turned 65 it is now yearly. My eyesight is still good enough to drive a vehicle etc.

Eye tests picked up cataracts in both eyes, and also eye tests picked up a capsulotomy several years ago which was nuked by laser surgery.

The bifocals in the pix are coming up to three year old, regular eye tests have shown that my eyes are pretty stable.

lbPltHt.jpg

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to Specsavers and they decided not to make me glasses with the correct 'prism' - in fact, no prism at all.
My brain stopped taking any notice of what I saw out of the weaker eye, my left eye, and I started to clip curbs and wander close to the hedges on country roads when driving.
When I had my next eye test, back at my proper optician, when my right eye was covered I could not see anything, then the greyness gradually dissipated. It took several months for my vision to return to normal.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This may sound harsh but I do not mean it that way. Why bother having your eyes tested at all if you are going to ignore the recommendations? Would you do this after a Retinopathy scan?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
So from what my optician and opthalmologist tell me, the cover with lots of holes in it act like a lens, so vision improves which is a neat way of showing that glasses would help with, in your case, the 6 metre eye chart.
I wear bifocal lens because i had cataract surgery ( cataratcs being one of the joys of the Aussie sun and 50 + yrears of TID) and have good long vision but not so good reading vision, although i am classed fit to drive without glasses.
But the glasses are also a protection for my eyes from stray particles etc and are tinted so that i can wear them outside, so they seve more than one purpose. Also being a kite flyer their sun screenng and protective aspects come in handy, although it is still a challenge to read mobile phone screens and my insulin pump screen in full sunlight.
I guess thevworld woukd not be thevsame without some challenges left to deal with.
Something to think about. Best Wishes.

Alexemily

This may sound harsh but I do not mean it that way. Why bother having your eyes tested at all if you are going to ignore the recommendations? Would you do this after a Retinopathy scan?

Sorry, to clarify this is the eye test the person does during the retinopathy checks, where they take the photos of my eyes, so I’d be better off getting an opticians opinion I guess, although they advise glasses my vision is literally perfect on a day to day basis with no struggles at all seeing anything whatsoever... unless I had the desire to close one eye and try and focus on something far away?

I’m no expert but I’m guessing most people wear glasses to help them with something?

I just can’t see how they would benefit me UNLESS they could actually help correct my (non issue/!) issue or prolong my sight then I could see the point.

See my point or not?

Alexemily

Get glasses ... that's an obvious conclusion. If you can't read the major letter, then it MUST be corrected. Been there done that with specs and contacts for 55 years. You're 26 ... get them !

Interesting to know, thank you!

Alexemily

I went to Specsavers and they decided not to make me glasses with the correct 'prism' - in fact, no prism at all.
My brain stopped taking any notice of what I saw out of the weaker eye, my left eye, and I started to clip curbs and wander close to the hedges on country roads when driving.
When I had my next eye test, back at my proper optician, when my right eye was covered I could not see anything, then the greyness gradually dissipated. It took several months for my vision to return to normal.

Gosh that’s awful!

Alexemily

So to conclude.. I’ll book a proper eye test with an optician still feels very strange that I could need glasses even though I have no problems with seeing/reading anything! Thanks all

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So to conclude.. I’ll book a proper eye test with an optician still feels very strange that I could need glasses even though I have no problems with seeing/reading anything! Thanks all
The point is that you may or may not be seeing fine now because your eyes and your brain can compensate. Without addressing any potential problem you shorten the length of time that that you see well because should there be a problem it night prove to be one that can be fixed. Go get tested and then make decisions. Good luck.