Type 1 Inhaler's for Asthma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Can they interfere with blood glucose levels, started Clenil Modulite, 50 micrograms this evening ?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Can they interfere with blood glucose levels, started Clenil Modulite, 50 microgramsthis evening ?
I do not use that particular inhaler for my COPD, I use Spiriva Respimat, Symbicort 400, Airomir with no noticeable increase of bgl.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can they interfere with blood glucose levels, started Clenil Modulite, 50 microgramsthis evening ?

Thanks in advance :)

RRB - Have you had a look at the active ingredients in your inhaler, then googles those for BG impacts? If it contains a steroid, it may impact, although I would expect the amounts actually getting into the bloodstream to be modest.

That's me just applying logic, which could be flawed of course. I've never had to use an inhaler.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use my ventolin inhaler reguarly for my asthma . Have not noticed any effect pn sugars

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have found that my BG is not affected by either of my inhalers. I seem to vaguely remember asking if the steroid one would affect my BG and was told it was too small a dose to do so..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Clenil modulite is a preventer inhaler used to treat asthma. The active ingredient in Clenil modulite is beclomethasone dipropionate, which is a corticosteroid. It reduces inflammation and irritation in the lungs.

For this reason my doctor is very reluctant to prescribe it for me any more as I also take prednisolone it did when I was still using it have an impact on my blood sugars but only slightly as the preds have a big effect.

Now I am only using ventolin which does not have an effect that I can detect.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with asthma 4 months before my type 2 diagnosis. I was prescribed Clenil modulate 100 two puffs twice a day, which I have taken ever since. I did ask if it might have caused my type 2 but the answer came back as no, not enough steroid content to affect blood sugars. Of course I’ll never know for sure and need to keep on the Clenil to control my asthma anyway.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for all your replies, the Dr at hospital ( Hants doc) said with possible breathing problems ( before the X- ray result comes back which I had yesterday) Inhaler's are now prescribed to see if they help, also I was a smoker years ago plus I have Scoliosis, curvature of the spine and I had critical pneumonia and sepsis last year. I will find out in 3 weeks time. I haven't, as yet, noticed a change in BG's, only that the Clenil has an acquired taste :yuck:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Indeed and after two and a half years I still haven’t acquired it! :hungover:

I know it for breathing, but it does take one's breath away :rolleyes::yuck:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I know it for breathing, but it does take one's breath away :rolleyes::yuck:
So does Spiriva Respimat when you have not got synchronised with inhale and exhale, I get caught sometimes and when the spray hits the bottom of the lungs and comes straight back out again with a hand full of thirty year old cigarette butts.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Robinredbreast

sorry to here that.

asthmatic since 11....it practically disappeared mid 20's early 30's..back with a sneaky vengeance late 40's.

i think after so many years, i've become desensitised to the taste.

beclomethasone and salbutamol are my current drugs of choice.
have said previously, symptoms have eased considerably, since dx and LCHF,
so can't really say it has had a big influence on my BG's because if i'm honest whilst i spray the preventer daily,
the blue inhaler gets such little work out now..
(cats are a particular irritant, i've since found out),
that it's difficult to judge if it has any impact, sorry..

I know i may be teaching granny to suck eggs, but just in case someone benefits for those new to the Game.
I asked for and got a breath tester.(peak flow meter) a simple -ish tube, with a gauge on it to test how well/hard you can breathe out...helps to monitor any decline in breathing ability so you can take some actions early.

For children usually but also for others (i had one for a while) you can get a spacer.(aero chamber)
VIDEO link ...A tad dramatic but good advise and shows how to use spacer, and why.

On a slight note, re video, i wasn't aware previously i could self nebulise using the inhaler.
Had an awful panic few years back, couldn't breathe very well, getting worse, choice of calling ambulance (i was alone, two floors up, no buzzer for entry ) or getting to doctors.
Chose doctors, but almost collapsed in reception.
nasty receptionist made me wait to see doc who was horrified.
ten blasts, saw me come down from barely able to speak to a rather less Gaspy conversation and while not back to normal, certainly less terrified, then i was.
So lesson hard learned.

and 1 other point .
if chesty and breathing causes coughing, ( as it does), try using your stomach muscles to power your breath.
can help considerably to control the constant wheezing & coughing.

Good luck with controlling it, the sprays do become a normal part of the day, just like testing your FBS's i suppose.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Robinredbreast

sorry to here that.

asthmatic since 11....it practically disappeared mid 20's early 30's..back with a sneaky vengeance late 40's.

i think after so many years, i've become desensitised to the taste.

beclomethasone and salbutamol are my current drugs of choice.
have said previously, symptoms have eased considerably, since dx and LCHF,
so can't really say it has had a big influence on my BG's because if i'm honest whilst i spray the preventer daily,
the blue inhaler gets such little work out now..
(cats are a particular irritant, i've since found out),
that it's difficult to judge if it has any impact, sorry..

I know i may be teaching granny to suck eggs, but just in case someone benefits for those new to the Game.
I asked for and got a breath tester.(peak flow meter) a simple -ish tube, with a gauge on it to test how well/hard you can breathe out...helps to monitor any decline in breathing ability so you can take some actions early.

For children usually but also for others (i had one for a while) you can get a spacer.(aero chamber)
VIDEO link ...A tad dramatic but good advise and shows how to use spacer, and why.

On a slight note, re video, i wasn't aware previously i could self nebulise using the inhaler.
Had an awful panic few years back, couldn't breathe very well, getting worse, choice of calling ambulance (i was alone, two floors up, no buzzer for entry ) or getting to doctors.
Chose doctors, but almost collapsed in reception.
nasty receptionist made me wait to see doc who was horrified.
ten blasts, saw me come down from barely able to speak to a rather less Gaspy conversation and while not back to normal, certainly less terrified, then i was.
So lesson hard learned.

and 1 other point .
if chesty and breathing causes coughing, ( as it does), try using your stomach muscles to power your breath.
can help considerably to control the constant wheezing & coughing.

Good luck with controlling it, the sprays do become a normal part of the day, just like testing your FBS's i suppose.

My son had Asthma and when he was about 9 he had to go into hospital as his breathing was so bad, I called my then husband and he drove us to the hospital and had to carry our son in his arms as he was so bad, very, very frightening.
My elderly dad had a spacer, but he couldn't use it properly, even with help from myself and the carer's, he found it difficult, he was in his late 80's early 90's then. Breathing problems are quite scary, glad you made it, but I'm sure my tests will be okay.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
RRB - Have you had a look at the active ingredients in your inhaler, then googles those for BG impacts? If it contains a steroid, it may impact, although I would expect the amounts actually getting into the bloodstream to be modest.

That's me just applying logic, which could be flawed of course. I've never had to use an inhaler.

Hi, yes I did look at the PIL, but I wanted some feedback from other's with diabetes, who use inhalers or have used them in the past.