Open to suggestions?

LiamC93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,

Ive had T1 for 2 years now and experiencing a hard time with it all. Every little thing I seem to do just seems like a big fail! Ive tried eating healthier but finding it hard to do, lose motivation to working out and have episodes of self doubt and my anxiety just sky rockets. I’m literally killing myself with it but cant seem to get a grip with the actual damage I’m causing!

Has anyone been or going through this and what strategies have you adapted? I know everyone is unique but Id rather ask fellow diabetics as apposed to a doctor who doesn’t understand the true feelings behind.

Thanks guys!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Liam,

I think most T1's get the odd period of angst.

I have in the past been through a period of doing the absolute minimum, which for me means testing before driving and very little else. I always took my insulin but during that period I was 'winging it' most of the time and not bothering with the testing which seemed like such a drag.

I don't really know how or why I got back on the horse as it were, but there are still days when I stare blankly at my test kit and wonder 'do I really need to test today'.

It's not easy. There's no magic solution, you just got to find it within yourself to fight the negative thoughts and keep going.

Good luck buddy.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,

Ive had T1 for 2 years now and experiencing a hard time with it all. Every little thing I seem to do just seems like a big fail! Ive tried eating healthier but finding it hard to do, lose motivation to working out and have episodes of self doubt and my anxiety just sky rockets. I’m literally killing myself with it but cant seem to get a grip with the actual damage I’m causing!

Has anyone been or going through this and what strategies have you adapted? I know everyone is unique but Id rather ask fellow diabetics as apposed to a doctor who doesn’t understand the true feelings behind.

Thanks guys!

Liam, not being T1, I don't have anything of value to offer you, but I wonder if my colleagues @urbanracer or @Juicyj have anything to offer. Both were adult onset T1s.

Very good luck with it. Keep going. It's worth it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @LiamC93

Sorry to hear of your struggles, I was 38 when I was diagnosed and it was a big shock. I don't think it's an easy ride for many of us, but for me I know I feel more anxiety if I don't keep my levels in check as high levels fuels anxiety, so keeping in range means I can cope better mentally. Try not to worry about 'damage' just take it one day at a time, speak to your Diabetic nurse and get some support, you don't have to face this alone, but do talk about your struggles as you'll certainly find your not the only one.