1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Open to suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by LiamC93, Jun 24, 2019.

1. LiamC93

LiamC93 Type 1 · Member

Hey,

Ive had T1 for 2 years now and experiencing a hard time with it all. Every little thing I seem to do just seems like a big fail! Ive tried eating healthier but finding it hard to do, lose motivation to working out and have episodes of self doubt and my anxiety just sky rockets. I’m literally killing myself with it but cant seem to get a grip with the actual damage I’m causing!

Has anyone been or going through this and what strategies have you adapted? I know everyone is unique but Id rather ask fellow diabetics as apposed to a doctor who doesn’t understand the true feelings behind.

Thanks guys!

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Liam,

I think most T1's get the odd period of angst.

I have in the past been through a period of doing the absolute minimum, which for me means testing before driving and very little else. I always took my insulin but during that period I was 'winging it' most of the time and not bothering with the testing which seemed like such a drag.

I don't really know how or why I got back on the horse as it were, but there are still days when I stare blankly at my test kit and wonder 'do I really need to test today'.

It's not easy. There's no magic solution, you just got to find it within yourself to fight the negative thoughts and keep going.

Good luck buddy.

3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Liam, not being T1, I don't have anything of value to offer you, but I wonder if my colleagues @urbanracer or @Juicyj have anything to offer. Both were adult onset T1s.

Very good luck with it. Keep going. It's worth it.

4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Sorry @urbanracer , you posted a few seconds before me. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @LiamC93

Sorry to hear of your struggles, I was 38 when I was diagnosed and it was a big shock. I don't think it's an easy ride for many of us, but for me I know I feel more anxiety if I don't keep my levels in check as high levels fuels anxiety, so keeping in range means I can cope better mentally. Try not to worry about 'damage' just take it one day at a time, speak to your Diabetic nurse and get some support, you don't have to face this alone, but do talk about your struggles as you'll certainly find your not the only one.

6. LiamC93

LiamC93 Type 1 · Member

Cheers guys!

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook