Hempseed - Ideas Please

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Aside from sprinkling the stuff, or sprouting it, anyone got any ideas for using it? I wouldn't mind making my own protein bars (most of the bought types, including all the fruit ones, have an unfortunate effect on me whereas home made food never does).

Not too keen on smoothies and tend to have a cooked breakfast because I eat at 7.00 a.m. but lunch isn't until 1.30 p.m. and it's a fair old gap when you're not a snacker. I have rooibos and other herb teas, but they don't have milk or sugar.

Also, we make bread with spelt but have never used teff. Has anyone else used it? What's it like to use, and how does the bake come out?

D

Deleted member 308541

Aside from sprinkling the stuff, or sprouting it, anyone got any ideas for using it?
Back in the late 1950's / 1960's, I used to use hemp seed as a fishing bait in the local lakes where I used to live.

Reactions: Ryhia

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aside from sprinkling the stuff, or sprouting it, anyone got any ideas for using it? I wouldn't mind making my own protein bars (most of the bought types, including all the fruit ones, have an unfortunate effect on me whereas home made food never does).

Not too keen on smoothies and tend to have a cooked breakfast because I eat at 7.00 a.m. but lunch isn't until 1.30 p.m. and it's a fair old gap when you're not a snacker. I have rooibos and other herb teas, but they don't have milk or sugar.

Also, we make bread with spelt but have never used teff. Has anyone else used it? What's it like to use, and how does the bake come out?
I tend to stick a bit of hemp in things like veggie burgers and nut loaves as well as low-carb bread substitutes, just to increase the nutrition quotient.
Teff is used to make injera which is Ethiopian flatbread. I made it once but it sent my blood glucose up too far so not worth it for me. I think its main advantage is that it's gluten free.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
That last sentence of your could be of interest to @Robinredbreast but I don't know if it's worh our while making the flatbread given its effect on blood sugar.

I'll get a bag and add it to the mix of other seeds that I use to pop in things and make them interesting.

I wonder if I could use them as a substitute in poppy seed crackers. It's a thought!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use it to make the topping for a low carb fake "apple" crumble I make in winter :)

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes