Low carb keto training

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My HBAIc tests came back around the same as they were three months ago. Once again cholesterol has dropped with the good chl going up and the other going down.
Doc commented on how she is using my results to try to motivate some of her diabetic patients. Her frustration with their excuses is evident. They throw their hands up in the air and proclaim that they are a special case and what I’m doing wouldn’t apply to them.

She tried the keto mousakka recipe, claimed it was absolutely delicious, and said she was freaking out about the amount of cream etc in it. Her comment was it did her head in with the amount of fat in the diet and then the results come in that can’t be disputed.

Whilst I was extremely happy with the result I couldn’t help being a tad disappointed that I hadn’t gone beyond what the reading was before. 6.2

When we dissected what I had been doing different it came down to the type of exercise. Previously, it had been a lot of cardio/aerobic either swimming /walking or using mini trampoline. Now that it’s too cold to swim, I had traded it for gym work. She feels that I need to keep doing the cardio and drop my strength work at the gym back to only two days a week. I am inclined to agree with her. Don’t particularly like gym work and have to motivate myself to turn up. I work with a PT.

I am an all or nothing kind of a person and hope that I don’t have unrealistic expectations of what I could achieve.

As always, your comments are appreciated.

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dietary carbohydrate is not necessary for strength training/muscle building, although it is obviously beneficial for some, and I don’t doubt that it’s essential if you’re very serious about body building. But as a type 2 I personally recommend lifting in ketosis and seeing how you get on.

No snacks. Just steak & eggs after training. And good luck with everything. Please keep the thread updated, as this is an area I’m currently into. Still a weakling, but getting stronger and more defined on a carnivore diet with around 10g carbs per day, all from dairy and incidentals.

How are you going with your training program Jim?

M

Member496333

How are you going with your training program Jim?

Nothing spectacular to report. Still built out of pipe cleaners, but I don’t do it to get bigger necessarily. For me it’s just a way to stay defined and to keep my insulin sensitivity high. I think my [always low] circulating insulin levels hinder the building of real muscle mass, and that’s fine with me. Still feel sharper & stronger without vegetables though, so all good in that regard.

Reactions: Sparkle1953

Dark Horse

The protein requirements of 1g of protein per pound of body weight seems excessive.
The ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) says:-
To increase muscle mass in combination with physical activity, it is recommended that a person that lifts weights regularly or is training for a running or cycling event eat a range of 1.2-1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day, or 0.5 to 0.8 grams per pound of body weight.
https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-s...ein-intake-for-optimal-muscle-maintenance.pdf

This systematic review from 2017 says that ’Dietary protein supplementation significantly enhanced changes in muscle strength and size during prolonged RET (resistance exercise training) in healthy adults. ‘ but that ‘Protein supplementation beyond total protein intakes of 1.62 g/kg/day resulted in no further RET-induced gains in FFM (fat-free mass).’
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/52/6/376

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) says:-
To increase muscle mass in combination with physical activity, it is recommended that a person that lifts weights regularly or is training for a running or cycling event eat a range of 1.2-1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day, or 0.5 to 0.8 grams per pound of body weight.
https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-s...ein-intake-for-optimal-muscle-maintenance.pdf

This systematic review from 2017 says that ’Dietary protein supplementation significantly enhanced changes in muscle strength and size during prolonged RET (resistance exercise training) in healthy adults. ‘ but that ‘Protein supplementation beyond total protein intakes of 1.62 g/kg/day resulted in no further RET-induced gains in FFM (fat-free mass).’
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/52/6/376

Thanks for this. Very interesting . It at least gives a real number to work towards and the comment that extra beyond that is going to not result in any significant RET is really helpful.

Reactions: Dark Horse