Snacks to take to hospital

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm going into hospital on Monday for a minor heart procedure. I'll be there for a couple of days.

Unfortunately the hospital doesn't provide type 2 friendly meals.

So are there some diabetes friendly snacks I could take with me so I can keep my sugar under control while I'm in hospital.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d suggest small bags of nuts, perhaps some of the Peperami sticks that don’t need refrigeration. They may let you use a hospital fridge - I’m tagging @Rachox who has some experience of this - in which case some small pieces of cheese or hard boiled eggs.

Hopefully there will at least be some options that you can adapt without too much trouble. And good luck with the procedure.

Reactions: Inchindown

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd been thinking about travel proof snacks, and had a few ideas.
If you can get a small cool bag and a freezer block then take hardboiled eggs still in the shell, the smaller pots of hummus and some cubes of cheese. Even without a cool bag, keeping boiled eggs in their shells will keep them fresh for a day.
Sugar-free jelly and 85% dark chocolate.
If you have milk in hot drinks you can buy dried coconut milk, or the individual pots of cream.
Take a pack of wipes and some tissues, plus a spoon?

If there is an M&S in the hospital they sell pots of boiled eggs and spinach.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal
Hi @Inchindown , yes I was in hospital for fives days earlier this year. The breakfast menu was hopeless, cereals, toast and fruit juice! I took in Greek yoghurts for my breakfast which I labelled with my name, and the nurses put in a fridge somewhere for me. Lunches and dinners I lived off omelettes and salad or veggies (depending on the veg choice). Also stored in the fridge with my yoghurts were Babybels cheeses and unsweetened coconut milk. Beside my bed I kept protein bars, nuts and dark chocolate.