Confused about blood results

Claire11

Hi
About a year ago I was told I had pre-diabetes due to HB1ac result of 47. Twelve months on I had a result of 49 and was told I am diabetic.
So, over the past 3 weeks I have followed a low carb diet and have had recent bloods of 45.
I have bought a monitor and have found that my glucose levels are higher in the morning, hovering around 7.2 but during the day after eating results are around 6.0.
Am I classed as diabetic or pre-diabetic & is there anything I can do to get the morning results down?
My nurse mentioned “new types of diabetes” but didn’t really elaborate.
A bit confused right now! Looking forward to the groups thoughts.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There is something called dawn phenomenon DP. It's a release of hormones before you wake up to prepare you for the day. Some people it's very mild and some have much higher levels. Sometimes after a certain amount of time it will calm down. It also causes more insulin resistance in the few hours after you are awake. There is also feet on the floor that happens right after you wake up and get out of bed. But if it's only in the morning, I'm not sure I would worry about it as you go back to "normal" levels.
Some other people might have some suggestions about things that can help you, I am a type 1 and take extra insulin for it.

Reactions: Prem51 and Claire11

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Am prediabetic and have had to start having early breakfast to prevent BG rising until I do eat.

Reactions: Claire11

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
The chart in the link may reassure you. As @Marie 2 has said a morning (fasting) spike is to be expected - everyone, diabetic or not experiences it. Your 7.2 is actually quite reasonable.
I don't think that 'pre-diabetic' or 'diabetic' really matters. What does matter is getting control of your blood glucose and you seem to be doing it.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Reactions: Prem51 and Marie 2

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi
About a year ago I was told I had pre-diabetes due to HB1ac result of 47. Twelve months on I had a result of 49 and was told I am diabetic.
So, over the past 3 weeks I have followed a low carb diet and have had recent bloods of 45.
I have bought a monitor and have found that my glucose levels are higher in the morning, hovering around 7.2 but during the day after eating results are around 6.0.
Am I classed as diabetic or pre-diabetic & is there anything I can do to get the morning results down?
My nurse mentioned “new types of diabetes” but didn’t really elaborate.
A bit confused right now! Looking forward to the groups thoughts.

Different countries have different cut off points - in NZ, and Sweden (the two countries I have lived in with diabetes), 49 is the upper limit of prediabetes. You have diabetes once you hit 50. So there is an 'arbitary' aspect to the definition of true diabetes versus prediabetes! (The USA I believe has a lower cut off point of 46 or 47? Not sure which. Using the % measurement system).

Perhaps a better way for you to look at it is the degree of blood glucose dysregulation you have then? Rather than definitions, although to be honest, the definitions truly matter to the medical world, and sorry to say - life insurance companies when they are figuring out your life expectancy! (Just to put it into perspective...). So right now you could express it as having "prediabetic levels of blood glucose", which is how I do it, which makes more sense if you were originally diagnosed with actual diabetes. (I was diagnosed at a high level - 93, to put it, again, into perspective. Whereas you absolutely had low-level actual diabetes - another way of talking about it? Perspective is good.)

I am guessing by the "new types of diabetes" the nurse is referring to the fact that a high fasting blood glucose could mean you have a more insulin resistant type of type two diabetes, which is reflected by your liver misreading and mis-loading its own production of glucose, as in releasing too much in the morning, and therefore your pancreas is having to produce a lot of insulin to 'cover' it.

The fact that your nurse is mentioning this is a very good sign! But a shame she didn't have the time to explain it to you. But never fear - you have us in here!

You have already lowered your HBA1c by four points - this is great news! And the one, imho, that really matters when it comes to you and your health.

My guess is as it is early days of your diagnosis, this will continue to go down as long as you keep a lid on sugar and carb eating, and your liver and pancreas will be functioning healthily again on a new healthier way of eating? Especially if your blood lipids are still normal? We can talk about that for you in more detail if you want? If you are trying to figure how worried about your health to be?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Claire11 and welcome

Does sound like you’re making good progress.

You might find the information in this link helpful - it was put together to help those who have been newly diagnosed.Have a good read, it may answer some of your questions. Please do come back and ask more. It’s very confusing at first and there are many knowledgeable people on here that can help.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

From what you’ve said about your HbA1c results I’d guess you’re a type 2. It would be good to confirm that with your nurse and add the information to your profile.

Good luck and keep us updated.