Type 1 Overdose

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone ever thought about or attempted to hurt themselves by overdosing on insulin just because you simply can’t do it anymore?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jed, can I suggest you get some help immediately if you are feeling distressed. I see from other posts you are in Australia, so I don’t know what support systems you may have. However please find someone to talk to about your thoughts and worries. Maybe family, the Samaritans or equivalent in Australia, or a health care professional. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

APR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jed.s I couldn't not respond just in case it is you who's feeling this way. If you need to please reach out to someone, a friend, family member or the Samaritans. And if it's not how you're feeling maybe someone reading this needs to hear the same message - please give yourself a chance to get through this, please hold on, you are valued, you are loved. You've come this far, recognize your strength. Take care xxx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you're not deliberating overdosing on insulin. If you are, please call out for help through friends or Tipetoos suggestions.

In answer to your question, from what I've heard it's a very unreliable way with a high chance of your body saving your life. If I remember correctly it can lead to a lot of damage to both the body and the brain.

Please try to take care of yourself by seeking help, if it's your current situation you're talking about.

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I appreciate your concern here everyone I’m not a this moment thinking about it but I have in the past gone through with it and had a seizure but I was beside mum but I didn’t feel anything there was no pain but I’ve also noticed at times when I’m low and I don’t bother to treat the hypo I mean I’m not entirely sure but there must be natural sugars in our bodies to treat hypos in emergencies but you know death is it and I’m not sure if I do actually want to die but Im for sure sick of being a diabetic and all the never ending needles so I have for sure thought about getting super high on weed or drunk or something then smashing a whole pen but yea like I said death isn’t something you can take back and there are lots of things I enjoy about life it’s just it gets hard please do not remove me this is why I’m here to let this out so I can reach out to anyone else feeling the same as I do

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I appreciate your concern here everyone I’m not a this moment thinking about it but I have in the past gone through with it and had a seizure but I was beside mum but I didn’t feel anything there was no pain but I’ve also noticed at times when I’m low and I don’t bother to treat the hypo I mean I’m not entirely sure but there must be natural sugars in our bodies to treat hypos in emergencies but you know death is it and I’m not sure if I do actually want to die but I for sure sick of being a diabetic and all the never ending needles so I have for sure thought about getting super high on weed or drunk or something then smashing a whole pen but yea like I said death isn’t something you can take back and there are lots of things I enjoy about life it’s just it gets hard please do not remove me this is why I’m here to let this out so I can reach out to anyone else feeling the same as I do
Hello, I'm sorry you feel that way. Have you spoken with your doctor about getting some help? There are clinical psychologists tailored in helping patients with long term health conditions. Diabetes does make life demanding, but it's that kind of demand that keeps me on my toes. I might not be the world's most organised person but diabetes keeps me in check. Moreover diabetes isn't the enemy when you look after yourself and when you do everything you can to keep your blood readings in range. When people don't care about themselves, diabetes bites back and it bites back hard.
From this forum I've learned not to hold so much hate for myself when I get a few high readings or a few low readings because sometimes it's a bad day. Unfortunately I lost a few friends at university because they thought I was careless like I didn't care about my diabetes etc, but little did they know that sometimes we face mishaps and it's not just insulin we have to look out for.
However I feel technology is making our lives better and more comfortable, maybe one day we don't have to keep pocking ourselves. If you have any appointments, you can ask about the technologies available. I don't know what country you are in, but I know with the NHS we have to show some form of commitment to be able to get some of it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Jed.s I think we all experience some dark thoughts from time to time, having a condition like this does bring you closer to thinking about these things than your mates would ever get. However it can also make you appreciate life too and being able to feel more alive. The most important part that your docs or any nurse will tell you is the amount of support you need mentally to manage your condition and to be able to ride the highs and lows of living with it, talking to those around you is vital and as is talking on here to folk who can help support you.

It can be hard at times Jed but please chat to us or your folks, that's what we're here for.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hey Jed.s You're having a tough, tough time. You may feel this hopelessness with or without your diabetes. You have to recognise these feelings of desparation are something that you need treatment for, just like any other illness. It's not just something you will be able to control through positive thinking. Please tell your family and get them to take you to the medical centre asap. Don't delay. There are a lot of people here who care enough to post. You're not alone here.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I appreciate your concern here everyone I’m not a this moment thinking about it but I have in the past gone through with it and had a seizure but I was beside mum but I didn’t feel anything there was no pain but I’ve also noticed at times when I’m low and I don’t bother to treat the hypo I mean I’m not entirely sure but there must be natural sugars in our bodies to treat hypos in emergencies but you know death is it and I’m not sure if I do actually want to die but Im for sure sick of being a diabetic and all the never ending needles so I have for sure thought about getting super high on weed or drunk or something then smashing a whole pen but yea like I said death isn’t something you can take back and there are lots of things I enjoy about life it’s just it gets hard please do not remove me this is why I’m here to let this out so I can reach out to anyone else feeling the same as I do
Sending big hugs jed please seek some help the dark days will pass x
FB_IMG_1556261926160.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Jed.s I saw a post you made on another thread and it is a positive one, I'm so pleased gcm is working for you, so things are not all bad.
Quote : I’ve had a cgm for about a month now and it’s a lot less painful then betting shot in the chest with a pump plus it’s so much more convenient checking your glucose level via your phone then making your fingers sore with all the lancets I totally recommend a cgm it’s made keeping my bloods the right level so much easier unquote :

Some go through dark times with dark thoughts, it's a place that many of us have visited, but we don't want it to be permanent.
Keep posting on the forum, it's a big help to know that you are not alone with dark thoughts. Try different some coping mechanism's , writing a daily diary, turning your thoughts into poem's or song lyrics, relaxing technique, exercise, ie take up boxing, or get a punch bag for home, any small thing you can do to relieve the tension, negative build up, could help in the long run. Or google help, especially in your area or your GP.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Jed.s sorry to hear you sometimes find the burden of diabetes too much, and it is a pain in the neck, a nuisance, etc, etc. I've had it nearly 43 years, and I know this is the case.

However, I have a friend, who I'm very fond of, who's mother, and brother, took their own lives when he was young and in my view the pain that those deaths caused him, was far far far far greater than any inconvenience that I have ever experienced with diabetes. It has a ripple effect that would massively impact on people who know and love you.

Yes diabetes is annoying, and sometimes it does feel too much to handle, but there are lots of good things about life, and if you focus on them, and know you can win against diabetes, that would be a great achievement.

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t even know how to reply to all your loving comments just know I read them and they make my night or day a little bit easier to live through thanks for caring about me I know I’ve never met any of you in person but at the end of the day no matter where I’m the world we all are we all suffer the same and have an understanding for each others struggles so thank you so much for being so caring and understanding I am not all negative I love to sing and dance but it does get a bit the same sometimes especially when I’m in pain I love you all keep fighting team we can do this