Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I use my mobile phone...
Get him to use that, he may think twice then....? :hilarious:;)

I kinda guess. And go by smell. If it smells right, it's done. Dunno how but usually I'm OK, one way or the other. He likes precision - hence he is the Death of Kitchen Timers.... (a la Pratchett's Death of Rats)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I kinda guess. And go by smell. If it smells right, it's done. Dunno how but usually I'm OK, one way or the other. He likes precision - hence he is the Death of Kitchen Timers.... (a la Pratchett's Death of Rats)

So do I really.. The clock on the phone is just a rough "guideline" should I loose track of time.
There is one clock on the oven, but it's never set right..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Many thanks for this Scott.. I can see a whole new barrel of monkeys regarding MOTs on these automated vehicles too?
Stuff like "safety-critical software updates" not installed.? Fail.

Hit a copper flagging them down or directing traffic in a hazardous situation? "No, (they plead.) i was personally in control of the car at the appropriate time..." :banghead:o_O

Lol, I stick to my soon to be "classic." I'm confident I can sort out an airbag or ABS warning light issue... ;)

Reactions: Marie 2

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Stuff like "safety-critical software updates" not installed.? Fail.

For sure, upgrades always seem to fix one thing and break others. My phone has been whining at me for months now to update Android but I'm like, erm, no, MM and xDrip+ are running just fine as is, if I upgrade there's a fair chance it'll tank.

It's not an area I've been following, but I recall something on the telly saying that with the first generation, you need to hover your hands over the steering wheel in case of glitches. F that - they can get back to me when I can get in, tell it to take me to the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe and then fall asleep.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Attachments

• 71wScISR-qL._SL1001_.jpg
    71wScISR-qL._SL1001_.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 237

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
@ert I'm glad you are doing well with MM and xDrip but a bit confused about your comment regarding calibration.
I use Glimp (but not MM) and have done so in preference to LibreLink because I can calibrate Glimp so get much more accurate readings.
We're you unable to calibrate with Glimp? I know it is not intuitive. Or did I misunderstand?
So it does. I feel silly. I didn't realise there was an extra menu at the top if you clicked on the screen first. I've been calibrating it through my own spreadsheet. I should have read the manual. Or more posts from this site. Would have saved me some stress.

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have a great day everyone. My new sensor and Glimp had a spat last night. MM alarms went three times with rubbish data of 0.8 jumps and troughs. Enough was enough. I am now, finally, on X-Drip. And you calibrate it. So that a million times better already. I know I should have got Xdrip eons ago Knikki :), but it's sometimes easier to stay with the devil you know. But the devil last night was too much.

Ert, I made quite a few mistakes in my first week or two with xDrip+. I was constantly feeding in calibrations every time it was out, thinking that would make it better but it was making it worse.

You should calibrate when you think your ifg is similar to bg. Early morning when you've been running stable overnight is a good time. Look for a straightish line for about an hour or so. If it's trending up or down, do not calibrate then.

That way, if the reader is telling you some guff like bg is 2.8 whereas the meter is telling you it's 4.2 and it looks from the line like you've been stable, feed the 4.2 in as a calibration so that xDrip+ knows that the raw number it is getting means 4.2 and not 2.8.

Whereas if you've just had a meal and bg has risen to, say, 7, but the glucose hasn't yet seeped out into the interstitial fluid, so, say, interstitial fluid is still at 5, feeding 7 in in a situation where the if is actually still 5 is just going to confuse the heck out of it - it will interpret further 5 ifg as 7 when it's not.

William Lee Dubois' Beyond Fingersticks... discusses this in more detail.

Also, when you change sensors, you don't want cals from the last sensor screwing things up, as each sensor has a different "personality", so go into the main menu, top left, select Stop Sensor, then Don't Stop Sensor, Just Reset All Calibrations.

It'll then ask you to type in two bg readings, you don't need to test twice, typing in one reading twice will do.

My reader this morning was saying 2.8. Bg said 4.6. xDrip+ was saying 4.3. That's good enough for me!

Have fun with it - get it calibrated properly, it's an incredibly useful app.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Ert, I made quite a few mistakes in my first week or two with xDrip+. I was constantly feeding in calibrations every time it was out, thinking that would make it better but it was making it worse.

You should calibrate when you think your ifg is similar to bg. Early morning when you've been running stable overnight is a good time. Look for a straightish line for about an hour or so. If it's trending up or down, do not calibrate then.

That way, if the reader is telling you some guff like bg is 2.8 whereas the meter is telling you it's 4.2 and it looks from the line like you've been stable, feed the 4.2 in as a calibration so that xDrip+ knows that the raw number it is getting means 4.2 and not 2.8.

Whereas if you've just had a meal and bg has risen to, say, 7, but the glucose hasn't yet seeped out into the interstitial fluid, so, say, interstitial fluid is still at 5, feeding 7 in in a situation where the if is actually still 5 is just going to confuse the heck out of it - it will interpret further 5 ifg as 7 when it's not.

William Lee Dubois' Beyond Fingersticks... discusses this in more detail.

Also, when you change sensors, you don't want cals from the last sensor screwing things up, as each sensor has a different "personality", so go into the main menu, top left, select Stop Sensor, then Don't Stop Sensor, Just Reset All Calibrations.

It'll then ask you to type in two bg readings, you don't need to test twice, typing in one reading twice will do.

My reader this morning was saying 2.8. Bg said 4.6. xDrip+ was saying 4.3. That's good enough for me!

Have fun with it - get it calibrated properly, it's an incredibly useful app.

This post is spot on. It was as though you were looking over my shoulder. My favourite feature, before reading your post, was the correction override. I'm now leaving it alone. Thank you. Fingers crossed I'm going to have some proper MM alarms during the night, if I have to have any, of course, which one doesn't wish for. But if I have to have them, let's make them worthwhile.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It was as though you were looking over my shoulder.

I've had a couple of situations where I've been standing at a bar enjoying a quiet pint, and someone hovering over my shoulder waiting to be served has seen me checking the graph and asked, " So, are you a stockbroker, mate?"

The algorithms in xDrip+ deal with ifg/bg lag in a pretty impressive way when bg is stable, but it always pays to bear in mind that there will be times, in fast moving situations, where ifg and bg will be very different, and that's for biological reasons, not a sensor/cgm flaw.

I happily bolus from xDrip+ but I always do a "reality check" on the number - does it make sense in relation to my last bg check, iob, carbs, how I feel.

Here's a hidden Easter Egg for you. Long-press the blood drop icon, you can change the directional arrows to candy canes!

Screenshot_2019-08-18-17-47-52.png

Reactions: therower

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I just did a food hygiene course in 2 hours.Whether it is legit or not, I got my certificate and paid with my own precious coins. I'll see how it goes tomorrow :)

Reactions: porl69 and becca59

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I just did a food hygiene course in 2 hours.Whether it is legit or not, I got my certificate and paid with my own precious coins. I'll see how it goes tomorrow :)
We know who to ask when we have any questions considering food hygiene now we have a certified food hygienist here!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Morning chaps, my day out to the Cotswolds combined with dropping off our no-longer-needed heavy duty gazebo with a friend and collecting the teenager has been retired due to the arrival of the tummy bug my high sugars and insulin resistance of the last couple of days had foretold. Quite cross. Husbeast has gone to do the things by himself, as it’s the last day of his annual leave. I can go back to bed now :D

Have a nice day, friends x
Hope your day got better. I meant to ask if you have an insulin to carb ratio and how you worked it out, or is it not relevant at all, given you're on a keto-type diet? I'm about to be given one tomorrow on DAFNE, but with the units, I'm injecting to cover protein, it looks like I'm insulin resistant which I'm not.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My insulin to carb ratio varies according to the time of day. But I think that is mainly due to having the pump where I can dose small amounts. With a pen, the variation is probably not sufficient to make a 0.5 unit difference.
For me the difference over the day is big enough to need vastly different amounts of insulin with the pen. I need more than twice the amount of insulin for the same food earlier in the day than I do in the evening. Not a clue about my ratio's though.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hope your day got better. I meant to ask if you have an insulin to carb ratio and how you worked it out, or is it not relevant at all, given you're on a keto-type diet? I'm about to be given one tomorrow on DAFNE, but with the units, I'm injecting to cover protein, it looks like I'm insulin resistant which I'm not.
Thanks lovely. I had a very quiet one!

My carb ratio is actually pretty much what we nailed down on DAFNE, mostly 1:10 except 2am-noon where it’s 1:7 and protein is half that. Of course when I did mine I was eating all the carbs, so they said not to dose for pulses or veg as basal would cover it. Nowadays I’m on half the basal (so it literally just keeps me steady in the absence of food) so I have to dose accurately for every single gram of carbohydrate, no matter it’s origin. I’ll then do a second, extended dose for the protein.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi all, back from the Midlands and a bit cream crackered. Been catching up and the odd thread view while I was there.
Aw, puppies. Older daughter’s new puppy’s been with them for four days now and has already left a trail of melted hearts behind her. Tiny, bright, sleepy, gorgeous. I’ve not seen her yet but will have to wait as poor older daughter came down with a nasty stomach bug a couple of days ago. Hope yours b’s off soon Mel.
The birthday treat canal trip was cancelled. It was raining stair rods so a boat would’ve been fine but the fear was cars would be axle deep in water when we returned. Noted for floods there.
@MeiChanski, food hygienist extrordinaire, good luck!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooh, even more puppies, @Fairygodmother <3
Must be agonizing waiting until your daughter gets better. Hope she'll recover quickly, both because of puppies and for herself too, of course!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Oooh, even more puppies, @Fairygodmother <3
Must be agonizing waiting until your daughter gets better. Hope she'll recover quickly, both because of puppies and for herself too, of course!

Yes, it’s really disappointing for her. This puppy’s third time lucky - the first time the person she was going to collect from got quite nasty when asked about finer details, the second time the puppy was suddenly no longer available but now she has a smart bundle of fluff of her own. Even though she’s unwell.

Reactions: WuTwo