Type 1 Looping ,

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
I am due to a new pump currently using the Vibe , the clinic has agreed to fund the Medtronic 640g , is this a pump suitable for looping ? I use Libre , .there must be posts somewhere that explains looping so if someone would point me in the right direction I be very happy , also what pumps do people use for looping ? and what equipment is needed , phones , watches , apps , thanks nicky

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @alohanicky2009 Medtronic has the enlite CGM system, so their pumps are not suitable for closed looping.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You need either an older Medtronic, Omnipod or (I think) one called Dana.

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Juicyj, sorry for not knowing but what is closed and open ? Looping differences ? , I know nothing at all about looping but ave seen posts about MiaoMiao and seriously considering about buying , although I am prepared to wait a reasonable time for MM2.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Basically to Loop you need a hackable pump, a CGM, an app on your phone and a gadget to talk to your pump.

For example, I personally use Omnipod, a Freestyle Libre+MiaoMiao, iPhone 8+ and a RileyLink on the hardware front. As I’m iPhone based, I also needed an Apple developer account and a Mac (I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, so pretty old), as you need to be able to build the app yourself. I also have a Fitbit Ionic watch so I can see my levels and what Loop is doing at a glance. You don’t need the fastest, most expensive equipment, I’m doing it on a very tight student budget.

There are different setups available for Android phones, I believe @tim2000s is the person to tag here!

dpowell14

Basically to Loop you need a hackable pump, a CGM, an app on your phone and a gadget to talk to your pump.

For example, I personally use Omnipod, a Freestyle Libre+MiaoMiao, iPhone 8+ and a RileyLink on the hardware front. As I’m iPhone based, I also needed an Apple developer account and a Mac (I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, so pretty old), as you need to be able to build the app yourself. I also have a Fitbit Ionic watch so I can see my levels and what Loop is doing at a glance. You don’t need the fastest, most expensive equipment, I’m doing it on a very tight student budget.

There are different setups available for Android phones, I believe @tim2000s is the person to tag here!

Could you explain more about your setup? How is the MiaoMiao involved in the Loop? The RileyLink I ordered is in country but hasn't arrived yet, I have been using MiaoMiao for about 5 or 6 months, and I have been using the OmniPod for about a week. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Could you explain more about your setup? How is the MiaoMiao involved in the Loop? The RileyLink I ordered is in country but hasn't arrived yet, I have been using MiaoMiao for about 5 or 6 months, and I have been using the OmniPod for about a week. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
The MiaoMiao collects the data from the Libre and sends it to the phone. You need CGM to loop, and MiaoMiao converts Libre (FGM) into CGM. It’s an integral part.

dpowell14

The MiaoMiao collects the data from the Libre and sends it to the phone. You need CGM to loop, and MiaoMiao converts Libre (FGM) into CGM. It’s an integral part.

Thank you for responding. Loop mentions that MiaoMiao is not supported, but it does say that it reads data from iOS Health. Is that how it utilizes the MiaoMiao data? Thanks.

MartinSci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you are using an Android Phone,you can link a Dana RS, MiaoMaio & Libre together using AndroidAPS for looping.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
look on facebook at a group called AndriodAPS, all you need for this is a loopable pump ( there is a list of these on the wiki the group has) and a sensor

Reactions: alohanicky2009

bulgariuv

The experimental development branch I’m using gets the data from Spike.

Can you be kind and prvide a link or something for this experimental brach you are using?
Maybe I am a dumbass but I'm not able to find it on search.

Or a PM if it's not allowed to post links.

thank you

dknwireboy

Hi
I’ve been on the Medtronic 640g self funding the guardian sensors for the past few years and the only real problem has been paying for the sensors and the questions from workmates about what’s that with the pipe hanging off my belt loop. So when my nhs offered me the omnipod and libre I started to read up on the RileyLink and miaomiao with a view of taking the next step from open looping to closed looping with added benefits of less cost to me and less obvious equipment. So basically I have the omnipod, RileyLink and miaomiao all on the way and an Apple computer ready to loan for the loop app but I’m a little confused as to whether I need another app between the miaomiao and the loop? I will be on iOS so have seen an app called spike mentioned a few times but when I’ve looked into that there seems to be one available on the App Store and another you need to install using a pc and cydia. Is there anyone here who has done this set up already who could point me in the right direction? Just want to be as prepared as possible once it’s all arrived.
Thanks

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi
I’ve been on the Medtronic 640g self funding the guardian sensors for the past few years and the only real problem has been paying for the sensors and the questions from workmates about what’s that with the pipe hanging off my belt loop. So when my nhs offered me the omnipod and libre I started to read up on the RileyLink and miaomiao with a view of taking the next step from open looping to closed looping with added benefits of less cost to me and less obvious equipment. So basically I have the omnipod, RileyLink and miaomiao all on the way and an Apple computer ready to loan for the loop app but I’m a little confused as to whether I need another app between the miaomiao and the loop? I will be on iOS so have seen an app called spike mentioned a few times but when I’ve looked into that there seems to be one available on the App Store and another you need to install using a pc and cydia. Is there anyone here who has done this set up already who could point me in the right direction? Just want to be as prepared as possible once it’s all arrived.
Thanks

its a tricky time to be using Spike, as there are issues with Cydia just now, mostly since the iOS13 update. However, you can use the manual method if you have access to a Mac, that’s what I use. The one in the app store is completely different and just a logging app, nothing to do with any of this. I used exactly the same rig as you’re planning until switching to Dexcom a couple of weeks ago.

Basically Spike collects the glucose data from your Libre+MiaoMiao. It sends it to the Loop app, which uses its own algorithm, this data and the insulin sensitivities, carb ratios and basal rates you set to suggest temporary basal rates for your pod, and the instruction is transmitted to the RileyLink from your phone and then to the pod itself via short range radio signal. The pod communicates back what it is doing, and this is displayed in the Loop app.

dknwireboy

Hi
Thanks for that, I’ll have a look at that manual method tomorrow. I’m still on iOS12 on my iPhone SE only ever upgrade my phone when it gets to the point where I just can’t use it am way past the point of being impressed enough to spend £1000 by a new camera lens and would quite happily still have my iphone4 if I could still check the footy scores on it so not sure if I’d still have the same problem with cydia? Thanks for confirming everything else not looking forward to that weekend setting it up can see tears and tantrums ahead but hopefully worth it.

dknwireboy

Hi
I’m all set up now and have been happily looping for a couple of weeks now. I have a question that I’m not sure may be more suited to a teccy forum but I’ll give it a shot anyway. When I was going through the set up procedure I had to sign out of my usual Apple account and sign in the developer one I had set up. When I went back to my usual account I had lost all my passwords. So I’m thinking if I do a restore from iTunes will that bring them back and still leave my loop and spike app intact or should I just face the fact I’m going to have to click forgotten password on everything for the next few months?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you be kind and prvide a link or something for this experimental brach you are using?
Maybe I am a dumbass but I'm not able to find it on search.

Or a PM if it's not allowed to post links.

thank you
Hi
I am subscribed to this newsletter although I am going to await an NHS approved closed loop system as I simply don't feel capable of hacking anything!
https://www.diabettech.com/cgm/cgm-for-2020-will-new-entrants-reduce-costs/

And also recent tech conference. Haven't seen this video so apologies if it is of no use...
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/type-1-events/type-1-tech-conference