Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in for an interesting rest of the day with lots of scans and test strips.
My long acting usually lives in my bed, but I had taken it to the couch to look for those timesulin caps on the computer (haven't done that yet).
Bg went up clearly more than expected so I decided I did forget to take my Tresiba last night and took a 5 unit correction of Fiasp in anticipation of eating something, planning to inject before the food with those 5 units in mind.
(My usual doses are 64 of Tresiba and something between 20 and 30-ish of Fiasp over the day. Expected the food to need 8 units)

I made a plan. A fully unscientific don't try this at home plan.
I was going to take 25 units of Tresiba now, to at least have something, and my usual dose before bed so I wouldn't be completely double dosing but also repleting some of the missed insulin. It makes more sense to do it the other way around, missed dose now and a bit extra tonight but I was afraid I would forget and inject my usual dose, so this seemed the safer approach.

Went to the bed to look for my Tresiba, remembered it was still at the couch, walked back, grabbed my insulin and injected 25 units.
With the wrong pen.

Started out with eating 2 slices of bread, which I never do as I find bread very hard to dose for. It was very yummy too, I love bread :) !
Now I'll wait to see what happens, surrounded by various sweets and sugary drinks. Was going to visit a friend but have called off, driving doesn't seem a very wise thing to do now. Sitting at a comfy 5.8 at the moment.
Very happy I decided to take the small dose now and the big one tonight too!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ouch, @Antje77 , 25u Fiasp is a big dose! You obviously know what you're doing with insulin, so I'm not going to teach grandma how to suck eggs here, but when 25u reaches peak, it'll drop hard, probably faster than lucozade will raise, so I'd be tempted to knock it up to 9 or 10 for a bit of leeway, and then maybe a pork pie and chocolate eclairs/cheesecake for a fattier slow absorption gig to steady out the post-peak drop. Or a few beers and crisps...

Good luck!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You obviously know what you're doing with insulin, so I'm not going to teach grandma how to suck eggs here
You overestimate me here, I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing in this case! But I expect the bread to take care of about half the insulin, which still leaves me with about 15 units surplus insulin (remember the 5 unit correction dose right before grabbing the wrong pen).
when 25u reaches peak, it'll drop hard, probably faster than lucozade will raise, so I'd be tempted to knock it up to 9 or 10 for a bit of leeway
Still rising from the bread (7.6 at the moment) which should be enough leeway to catch the drop. I hope. I'm armed with a bottle of undiluted lemonade in case I don't have time for the nicer options. It has somewhere between 60 and 90% carbs to Lucozades mere 15 so a couple of slugs should save me from about anything :)

then maybe a pork pie and chocolate eclairs/cheesecake for a fattier slow absorption gig to steady out the post-peak drop. Or a few beers and crisps...
I like your thinking! I'm definitely in for some rare treats today :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
An ex-girlfriend was asthmatic. She used to say, "this is so unfair - when I get ill, I grab my inhaler, when you get ill, you eat some sweets!"
Yep, that's life. I'm asthmatic and one of the crowd here. I'd rather have a puff at 4am than eat sweets:) I'm back but not sure if I'm staying

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 it wasn't long ago that I did exactly the same thing - injected basal instead of bolus just after dinner in the evening. I can't remember ever having less desire to eat and knowing I had to. Luckily for me it was 11u bolus, so not quite in the same league as yours, but just after eating made it a nightmare. Fingers crossed you ride this one out safely!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 it wasn't long ago that I did exactly the same thing - injected basal instead of bolus just after dinner in the evening. I can't remember ever having less desire to eat and knowing I had to. Luckily for me it was 11u bolus, so not quite in the same league as yours, but just after eating made it a nightmare. Fingers crossed you ride this one out safely!
Thank you!
It happened once before to me, right before bed and very full. No sleep for me that night. That was a bad one.
Todays incident is more annoying and a bit funny (I like laughing at my own stupid actions) as the timing is just right to want to snack and I expect to be back to somewhat normalish by the time I go to sleep :)
I'm usually in a very tight range, but until tomorrow night I'll count it as a big success if I manage to stay between 3.6 and 10.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ive had a lovely day for my birthday nice meal with the family now me an tommy having a few scoops
@karen8967 ......sending happy birthday wishes from us both.....:).....must be the week for birthdays and anniversaries.....travelling up to Leicester on Tuesday to meet up with Clive who is away on tour (Scotland today, via Midlands to Cotswolds, finishing in London at weekend) to spend some time together on mine...hope you had a good day and got suitably spoilt....:)

Reactions: karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Home from the conference and straight into PJs with a cuppa. Was worth going, foot on the floor eventually settled. My own fault for balking at the 2.6u Elvis suggested and only taking 1.85u this morning. Ended up taking more than that to nail the cat. Just getting clothes and my bag ready for the morning, as it’s a 6am start for my “compulsory welcome and induction” at 9am.

Nice to see you back @SueJB x

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
it’s a 6am start for my “compulsory welcome and induction” at 9am.

I'm totally confident that you won't be led astray by youths in Freshers week who will be checking out just how heavily subsidised alcohol in the student's union pub is...

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m less confident the other way round. :)
I'm totally confident that you won't be led astray by youths in Freshers week who will be checking out just how heavily subsidised alcohol in the student's union pub is...
We’ve already coined the term “trampamedics” for those of us who can’t be bothered with dressing up and wearing makeup...

Reactions: hh1

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We’ve already coined the term “trampamedics” for those of us who can’t be bothered with dressing up and wearing makeup...

I'm going to borrow/steal that word and turn it into 'trampabetic" for the occasional spells where I've found myself being offered breakfast at 5am in a 24 hr bar in Eastern Europe. DAFNE hasn't written that chapter yet.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77
When I was on MDI. I used to use a vial and syringe for my long acting and a pen for my fast acting. When the endo asked me why I wasn't using a pen for both I told her that I would never confuse my fast acting with my slow acting if I kept them different.
It worked and it was no big deal using a syringe once a day.

Not as convenient for packing for traveling because of syringes and vials though. I gladly traded for a pump, but now have pods and pens etc to tote.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All's well that ends well. Looking pretty stable around 6.0. Needed a lot less carbs than I expected to cover for all the extra Fiasp. I guess missing my Tresiba last night helped a lot :)
Took my normal dose+30% of Tresiba around 7 instead of before bed and see where it leads me. I debated setting an alarm tonight for 3 hours after going to sleep but decided against it, as experience tells me there is no way it would wake me up :hilarious:
Will eat some crisps before bed to stay safe (and probably wake up higher than I like).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77
When I was on MDI. I used to use a vial and syringe for my long acting and a pen for my fast acting. When the endo asked me why I wasn't using a pen for both I told her that I would never confuse my fast acting with my slow acting if I kept them different.
It worked and it was no big deal using a syringe once a day.

Not as convenient for packing for traveling because of syringes and vials though. I gladly traded for a pump, but now have pods and pens etc to tote.
Now that is an excellent idea! I'm going to look into it :)
I already have some safety measures in place to prevent stupid accidents but this one sounds absolutely fail safe!
How does it even work? Do syringes use the same or at least the same length needles as pens? Do you re-use a syringe? I think syringes are very uncommon in the Netherlands.