Fasting exercise increases T1 blood sugar on Keto diet

DandyCane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Need some advice as seem to be experiencing the unexpected!? I am a type 1 diabetic for 7 years and have been on a strict Keto diet for 4 weeks (average 30-40 grams carbs total per day) and have had to reduce my night time basal rates, however I have had to significantly increase my morning basal rates even though I only ever eat carbs in my evening meal. I exercise first thing in the morning by jogging for half an hour in a fasted state and my BG goes up from 6 to around 10 and doesn’t come down all morning. This seems really weird to me, as previous to Keto on standard diet I had to take sugar before and after exercise just to keep in range, now I am doing opposite! Feels like I am becoming insulin resistant in morning! Please can anyone help as can’t find any advice searching on line...

Last edited:
Reactions: sassycat

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is probably your liver being 'useful' and releasing glucose to help with you having to run around looking for something to eat - it is the way it evolved, trying to be as helpful as possible in keeping us alive. It might be doing it now as being in ketosis is the more natural state.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happens to me it’s the Adrenalin. I always inject after all forms of exercise even gardening.

Rodx

I'm type 2 but noticed the same thing and came to the conclusion that it's possibly the "Dawn Phenomenon". Haven't found much other information about it other than a small video of Dr. Berg talking about it a bit.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a type 2 and notice the same thing- very annoying g as it then takes time to come back down. I'm hoping after I've lost some more weight it will do this less.