Latest HBA result

JimPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just an update on my journey...
I was diagnosed in Sep 2017 with HBA of 101 & sent to hospital with suspected DKA (sent home again after a couple of hours)
With info from this forum, I went strict LC / regular testing and achieved a result of 37 around 4 months later
Metformin 2 x 1000mg per day
Kept to this throughout 2018. Next HBA in October was 36.
DN wanted to stop the Metformin but I persuaded her to keep it for the time being.

In the new year, I made some changes:-
Stopped testing completely.
Dropped Metformin to 2 x 500mg per day
Stopped being quite as strict with carbs (small increase as I found I got better results when I was on holiday & less strict with it)

Just got result back from early May blood test - was a bit nervous
36 again. Really pleased with that!

Looking to drop the Met to 1x500 per day and see how that goes. Will keep to the semi-strict carb regime

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Smashing work there!

JimPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Update again.....

I dropped the Metformin to 1 x 500mg tablet per day after the test in May.

Have probably been even less strict on carbs in recent months.

Just got result back from latest HbA1c taken last week - 39 this time
Little disappointed it has gone up but pleased its still non-diabetic ... and I know I can tighten up a bit.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update again.....

I dropped the Metformin to 1 x 500mg tablet per day after the test in May.

Have probably been even less strict on carbs in recent months.

Just got result back from latest HbA1c taken last week - 39 this time
Little disappointed it has gone up but pleased its still non-diabetic ... and I know I can tighten up a bit.

Well done Jim, it's that delicate balance again isn't it? My opinion is that you will always have an impaired glucose response so will never get away with too many carbs for your body as 'normal' people do. I wonder whether it is worth doing the odd test following some of your meals with carbs? It's easy to keep pushing it further and further when your results are so good but it can be a rocky road and the odd test can be a stark reminder. Every so often I have a slice of bread for example (one little slice of wholemeal, yum) and wham, up it shoots to above 10! I know I can take insulin for it but then I run the risk of going really low, even after 1 unit. My point is when your hb1ac is looking good you can almost forget you have diabetes and that is when it bites you in the you know what x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am three years (almost) from diagnosis, can eat more carbs without seeing high BG levels - but it immediately increases my weight.
To eat more carbs on a daily basis and not see a rise in Hba1c would be rather strange, because it would most likely be working back to fully fledged diabetes.
I wonder if you are clinging to the Metformin in the hope it does the job, rather than relying on low carb eating to tame the problem with glucose.
It might have been lucky that I could not take Metformin as I find no temptation from carbs, as the thought of being pressured to take tablets which tried to turn me inside out is more than enough to strengthen my willpower.

JimPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not clinging to the Metformin, I am stepping it down gradually - now at 1/4 of what I was prescribed.
Also stopped my Gliclazide, as originally prescribed, within 6 weeks of diagnosis using LC eating.

And, I never said I was higher carb on a daily basis. More like the (very) occasional deviation from what is now my 'norm'.

Reactions: JohnEGreen