About Dawn Phenomenon....

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm an early riser. Usually wakes up at around 4 am. Is that too early to take your blood glucose test?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @angustia No that's not too early at all - it's best taken upon rising so if that's your preferred time then no worries :)

Reactions: angustia

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't see why not.. if you are awake and fasted then that's your FBG reading.. might be interesting to do a few hourly readings for a couple of days to see what happens..?

M

Member496333

I'm the same. Out of bed most mornings ~04:30. I don't test every morning now, but if I'm going to, I will do it at that time.

D

Deleted member 308541

I'm an early riser. Usually wakes up at around 4 am. Is that too early to take your blood glucose test?
I am out of bed around 4:00 am every day, I do a bgl test while my heart starter coffee is brewing for two minutes in the microwave.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I find I am always a bit higher when I test as soon as I wake whatever time that maybe.
I used to find the DP readings got me down a tad, and set me off on the wrong foot.
Hence my no longer posting what my waking levels are every day as I used to.

I now eat my dinner in the evenings around 18:00 and do not test any more upon waking. My first test is normally before I have anything at all eat, whatever time that may be. Recently, if I do test, it is around 11:00 to 12:00 ish. So around 17 -18 hrs since my last meal.
I find this way of eating, is for me, perfect. I am no longer hungry and my levels are fairly even (around 4 to5 mml) for the majority of the day.
Po

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I too rarely take a pre-Breakfast reading unless I feel I may have overdone the carbs in the previous evening.

At first I was disappointed that my pre-Breakfast readings were so high (but still OK) than those of longer term members of the Low Carb community. But once I thought about what it actually mean, I realised that in the first year or so a high DP is a good thing; provided you didn't go too high on carbs the previous evening. What it means is that your body is using up lots of stored visceral fat - exactly the fat that you want to get rid of in order to become healthier!

Mike Sixx

Yes and no, it all depends when you last ate. Fasting measurement only required 8+ hours since last meal. It just is most convenient to when you wake up when there has been natural long break in eating. It is good to the the measurement approx same time of the day or more accurately of you daily routine. So values can be compared more reliably.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you consider an abnormally high fasting glucose level?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work shifts so my first test of the 'day' can be at any old time, I take the first one after a period of sleep whenever that sleep might be. x