What do you eat when going out?

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

Suppose you are meeting with your friends in a restaurant. What do you usually order? Or when you are in a hurry and don't have time to buy groceries and prepare yourself a meal and you are forced to eat something outside. What do eat then?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Whatever I fancy.
What type of diabetes do you have and are you on medication as this might affect the answer.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds it might incriminate me.

But seriously normally meat with green veg or salad some times maybe Doner kebab meat with salad and chilli sauce.

And I must admit there are times like when I was dragged out to a Zizzi's by my insistent grandson, when I have thrown caution to the wind and just lived with the consequences that though does not happen often.

Reactions: jjraak

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do as others have said in restaurants, meat or fish, ask for side salad or more veg in place of chips. Watch out for sauces or breaded or battered meats/fish.
For the quick ‘grab a meal while you’re out’, how about a bunless burger, I go for one with plenty of fillings so bacon and cheese burger with a little salad. Five Guys are excellent at providing this in a container with cutlery. I believe Burger King will do this too. Prét a Manger are good too as they provide full nutritional info including carbs on their shelf edge labels.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I go for meat and veg also, or meat and salad. I don't go out as much for a meal because I feel that the food I cook has more variety. Paying for just steak and salad or veg to me is a waste of money lol. Also they never seem to have the veg that I want..Some will just do carrots and peas to carby. At home if I have steak and salad, I will add veg also, or chipped celeriac. Or if I am out I will have a mixed grill without sausage, (As they have fillers) So 2 fried eggs, bacon, tomato, pork chop, with side salad. I am a little cautious of having a burger outside as they can have fillers in.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I go for meat and veg also, or meat and salad. I don't go out as much for a meal because I feel that the food I cook has more variety. Paying for just steak and salad or veg to me is a waste of money lol. Also they never seem to have the veg that I want..Some will just do carrots and peas to carby. At home if I have steak and salad, I will add veg also, or chipped celeriac. Or if I am out I will have a mixed grill without sausage, (As they have fillers) So 2 fried eggs, bacon, tomato, pork chop, with side salad. I am a little cautious of having a burger outside as they can have fillers in.
Very rare to get 95% sausages out side in a restaurant

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

Suppose you are meeting with your friends in a restaurant. What do you usually order? Or when you are in a hurry and don't have time to buy groceries and prepare yourself a meal and you are forced to eat something outside. What do eat then?
Salad with fish or warmed goat's cheese, eggs, burgers without the bun (especially easy at McDonalds, they just tend to forget that I will need cutlery. ;) Five Guys does a Keto burger!), steak or another meat or fish with extra veggies in lieu of spuds... You'd be surprised how accomodating a kitchen'll be if you ask nicely. It's better for them to adjust a menu (no spuds, bread, rice, pasta etc) than having to throw out perfectly good food they've put an effort into. I have a few places where I'm a regular, so they know I tip well for the effort. (I am very appreciative online in reviews too.)

M

Member496333

I rarely eat out, due to everything being cooked in lamp oil. Usually I would have a steak. Maybe oysters or something as an appetiser. Hardly ever get caught out needing a meal I wasn't anticipating, but cold cuts and cheese will do in a pinch. M&S sell heaps of half-decent stuff.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Meat and veg or salad, if you say no potatoes I find they are often more generous with veg or salad. Regularly eat at our local Indian then something like chicken or lamb bhuna with cauliflower bhajee or tandoori chicken and salad.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually have meat and salad too. Most places are willing to substitute items. Zizzi isn’t great if you are Keto but there are salads in the menu. Pizza Express is hopeless. The chicken wings spiked me as they also did at TGI Friday. If I’m dragged to Pizza Hut, I have the kids’ salad and order the chicken with pepperoni etc on top. I think it’s under the main menu. I was pleasantly surprised at how low carb it was and very nice too.
Most chains have the nutritional info online which is really helpful.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Whatever I want. Nothing is off the menu for me. As long as I count the carbs correctly and get my timing correct for my pump I would 90% of the time get a pretty straight line

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes have a naked burger with salad, steak and chips or chilli and a small portion of sweet potato fries. However if they’re not available I just find the least carby meal I like and not worry too much as it doesn’t happen that often.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most restaurants and eateries usually serve food that bears some similarities to what I would eat at home. Food is food.
It may have different names but basically consists of carbs, protein and fats.
It shouldn’t be to difficult to match eating out to eating in.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I rarely eat out, due to everything being cooked in lamp oil. Usually I would have a steak. Maybe oysters or something as an appetiser. Hardly ever get caught out needing a meal I wasn't anticipating, but cold cuts and cheese will do in a pinch. M&S sell heaps of half-decent stuff.
If your choice of eating out establishments use lamp oil then you may want to consider casting your net wider and experience more of what eating out can offer.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your choice of eating out establishments use lamp oil then you may want to consider casting your net wider and experience more of what eating out can offer.
Cooking with paraffin gets on my wick.