Do we throw the whole CGM to the bin after use?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

Do we through the CGM in the bin after use or we reuse any part of it?

I assume it has a wireless transmitter to connect with our mobile etc.

Thanks!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For the libre: just throw it in the bin, there are no easily reusable parts, whilst it does have an NFC transmitter in it, it is directly soldered onto circuitboard (as far as I remember)

For the other CGMs I suspect the wireless/nfc bits are just as un-reusable

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello!

Do we through the CGM in the bin after use or we reuse any part of it?

I assume it has a wireless transmitter to connect with our mobile etc.

Thanks!

Contacted my local council about this and sent them pictures of a stripped down sensor and applicator as they clearly didn't have a clue what I was going on about. They told me to put the sensor in my sharps bin for incineration (because it's been exposed to bodily fluids I'd guess) and the applicator in domestic waste.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Contacted my local council about this and sent them pictures of a stripped down sensor and applicator as they clearly didn't have a clue what I was going on about. They told me to put the sensor in my sharps bin for incineration (because it's been exposed to bodily fluids I'd guess) and the applicator in domestic waste.
Whereas when I spoke to my doctor we decided that putting something with a battery in it into the sharps bin for incineration may not be the best plan :)
To be honest plenty of things that have been exposed to bodily fluids go in the normal bins anyways.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Whereas when I spoke to my doctor we decided that putting something with a battery in it into the sharps bin for incineration may not be the best plan :)
To be honest plenty of things that have been exposed to bodily fluids go in the normal bins anyways.

Agreed - I was a little surprised that they wanted to incinerate a battery and what is effectively WEE even though it is small. When I questioned it, they just reaffirmed that they wanted it in the sharps bin.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Abbott's website says put Libre sensors in battery recycling bin. I think they said wipe filament with surgical spirit or some such.

HTH

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sharps bin is bizarre. Nothing sharp about it. Or does your local council hand out sharps bins to every girl over the age of eleven?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of curiosity I took my first sensor apart and removed and tseted the little button cell - and found it was pretty much at full capacity still. It does seem a shame that they are wasted.