I stopped steroids today!

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

This is my very first day when I am not on prednisone, which i have been taking for almost a year. Today my fasting glucose measured in the lab was 74 mg/dl (4,1 mmol/L). I take it as a good sign! Hopefully i will be an example for all of us that got diabetes from taking steroids!.

For my primary condition, the doctors say if necessary I will be given immunosuppresants - which I'm told have less negative side effects than prednisone.

Have to say this result - confirmed in the lab - was heartwarming. I think there is a chance for me!

Love you all! Cheers!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That's a good day then!

Hope your numbers continue to improve.

Prednisone and immune suppressant drugs are both very hard on the body, they significantly increase the risk of heart disease and also affect various other organs, kidneys, liver etc due to their toxicity. Prednisone is also an immune suppressant.

I wish I could get off pred, it would make life so much easier, but being a transplant recipient it means take it daily for life and living still seems a better option... lol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wish I could get off pred, it would make life so much easier, but being a transplant recipient it means take it daily for life and living still seems a better option...

With me it's MG and about 20 years on preds.

Hello!

This is my very first day when I am not on prednisone, which i have been taking for almost a year. Today my fasting glucose measured in the lab was 74 mg/dl (4,1 mmol/L). I take it as a good sign! Hopefully i will be an example for all of us that got diabetes from taking steroids!.

For my primary condition, the doctors say if necessary I will be given immunosuppresants - which I'm told have less negative side effects than prednisone.

Have to say this result - confirmed in the lab - was heartwarming. I think there is a chance for me!

Love you all! Cheers!

Heart felt congratulations I don't think I'm ever coming of preds so am so glad you were able to ditch them for good :)

Reactions: Tophat1900