Newish type 2 off metformin

Rekords

Having posted previously about the great results from following the advice here on diet, I compiled a comprehensive report on the last month of my blood sugars and weight loss that I could bring to my doctor this morning. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive in that I discontinued Metformin month's ago without telling my doctor. A typical sample of what was a very comprehensive list for the month would be;
5.4 at 05.00a.m Fasting
4.9 at 13.10p.m. two hours after breakfast.
4.3 at 15.40p.m. two hours after lunch,
3.9 at 18.35 after doing some weights one hour before on little food and then began to feel a bit wobbly on my feet.
4.8 at 20.30 one hour after dinner eating a ton of liver and some veg.
4.8 at 21.30 two hours after above dinner.
This morning my fasting sugar was 5.0 at 6.30a.m. and felt very well. The time shortly before my low reading of 3.9 I didn't feel entirely wonderful and put this down to not eating enough before exercise?
I thought my doctor might get the ruler out and smack me for being a naughty boy and not taking his medication but she was delighted and has taken me off medication and wants to do a HBA1C test in two months, saying if I keep lifestyle changes that my next test should be well down and can be controlled by diet and exercise.
I had to tell her I haven't felt this good in the longest time and I am so grateful to this forum and all its contributors.

Reactions: DJC3

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having posted previously about the great results from following the advice here on diet, I compiled a comprehensive report on the last month of my blood sugars and weight loss that I could bring to my doctor this morning. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive in that I discontinued Metformin month's ago without telling my doctor. A typical sample of what was a very comprehensive list for the month would be;
5.4 at 05.00a.m Fasting
4.9 at 13.10p.m. two hours after breakfast.
4.3 at 15.40p.m. two hours after lunch,
3.9 at 18.35 after doing some weights one hour before on little food and then began to feel a bit wobbly on my feet.
4.8 at 20.30 one hour after dinner eating a ton of liver and some veg.
4.8 at 21.30 two hours after above dinner.
This morning my fasting sugar was 5.0 at 6.30a.m. and felt very well. The time shortly before my low reading of 3.9 I didn't feel entirely wonderful and put this down to not eating enough before exercise?
I thought my doctor might get the ruler out and smack me for being a naughty boy and not taking his medication but she was delighted and has taken me off medication and wants to do a HBA1C test in two months, saying if I keep lifestyle changes that my next test should be well down and can be controlled by diet and exercise.
I had to tell her I haven't felt this good in the longest time and I am so grateful to this forum and all its contributors.
Well done. :) And make sure to have some protein on hand when you do weights... Nuts or chicken or something. But yay, you!

Rekords

Well done. :) And make sure to have some protein on hand when you do weights... Nuts or chicken or something. But yay, you!
Thank you and will do. I know I'm not out of the woods and this lifestyle change is just that it is for life but working with that knowledge is fine. It's when you don't know the cause and effect that would make it all so much harder.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Well done.
It is a constant source of frustration to me that so many doctors give so many newly diagnosed Type 2's such poor, or even harmful advice rather than giving them hope!
Then they say that Type 2's are apathetic and won't make lifestyle changes.

The same accusation could be levelled at me - I refused my DN and GP's advice, did the opposite of almost everything they said because I already knew from experience that their way didn't work (at ;east not for me). I was lucky to find this forum and get so angry at the advice given by GP and DN that I gave LCHF a go, despite Cardio fears. - I was determined to prove them wrong, but a less stubborn person might easily have given up and said 'OK Doc whatever. Just give me the medicine!'

Reactions: ByeBye

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
These BG numbers makes me think there is a good likeihood of your next A1c being below the prediabetes level.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done- congratulations. I'm glad the doctor was pleased- continue on and you may convert your doctor.

Rekords

Well done.
It is a constant source of frustration to me that so many doctors give so many newly diagnosed Type 2's such poor, or even harmful advice rather than giving them hope!
Then they say that Type 2's are apathetic and won't make lifestyle changes.

The same accusation could be levelled at me - I refused my DN and GP's advice, did the opposite of almost everything they said because I already knew from experience that their way didn't work (at ;east not for me). I was lucky to find this forum and get so angry at the advice given by GP and DN that I gave LCHF a go, despite Cardio fears. - I was determined to prove them wrong, but a less stubborn person might easily have given up and said 'OK Doc whatever. Just give me the medicine!'
I totally share your frustration and while I love my doctor because she is always very thorough, I would have accepted the take this metformin twice a day only for it gave me diarrhoea and subsequent reading of books and this forum I decided to take matters into my own hands. when I mentioned the problem with metformin she understood and said there was other medication that wouldn't give that problem, then I gave her my comprehensive list of blood readings for the month which she went trough with a fine tooth comb. She said that's incredible and I'm taking you off all diabetes medication and if I keep to my lifestyle changes I won't be needing any meds in the future. She is a young lady doctor and was quite happy to accept the changes for what they were and not in the least put out by me stopping taking a drug she prescribed without consultation. I dare say some other doctors just prescribe a pill and if you don't take it they may in some cases get a bit thick. Thank you.