Potatoes

jenjen9063

We have potatoes in most evening meals as a family in some shape or form. Just wondering what is best and if there is a substitute as im worried about carbs?
Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just substitute other vegetables with lower carb count - cauliflower, broccoli, celeriac, aubergine, courgette, beetroot, even boiled radishes - add salads.

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Potatoes are no good in any way,shape or form for me, and I think I can speak for most of us. This is very sad as I love potatoes :(

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Potatoes are no good in any way,shape or form for me, and I think I can speak for most of us. This is very sad as I love potatoes :(

I do miss potatoes with a baked dinner, baked or mashed! Just add gravy...

Reactions: Wojciechu

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another that misses potatoes- so many ways to eat all delicious.

I have cauliflower mash which helps substitute for potatoes mashed. You can add cheese- maybe a little chives or broccoli to mix it up.

I've read that some people substitute swede but I've never liked those.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A topping for cottage or shepherd's pie is roughly mashed cauliflower or celeriac. Husband now prefers it to mash.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jenjen9063 ,

Welcome to the forum.

What type D are you? Any meds prescribed? Do you have a BG meter...?

Spuds can cause issue with BG. But gauging to what extent is a good starting point.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jenjen9063 have you got a BS meter as you may find that you can manage a spud or two but without a meter you won’t be able to see the effects. I can manage 2-3 small potatoes - evenly mashed.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After 3 years eating low carb I could probably eat some potato, but I would find that my weight went up as a result, as that is what happens whenever I go over 45gm of carbs a day, and whilst I might consider several days of even lower carb than usual worth it for something really splendid - a potato isn't it.
I am probably unlucky to be so sensitive to carbs, though with my inability to resist temptation that is probably a good thing for my long term survival strategy

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I haven't yet be diagnosed but doc suspects in type 2 so it all new to me.

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying.

There are some recipes on this website linked here which may help you as an alternative for the carb conscious. .
(Including the carb count for reference.)
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

Hopefully you will discover new ideas that are just as tempting as the "usual."

I wish you the best of luck @jenjen9063 , & please update your status with any possible meds prescribed, once you've established with an HCP consultation..

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have potatoes in most evening meals as a family in some shape or form. Just wondering what is best and if there is a substitute as im worried about carbs?
Thanks

Our whole family now likes cauliflower mash so no potatoes here anymore.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might like to try cabbage - slice into inch thick discs and put into a tray as a single layer, add oil and pepper, roast gently until soft. Very simple but good.

GGPFC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac and swede make great mash and roasted turnips are lovely too! I was a mashed potato monster (usually with a nice big pie to go with it) :rolleyes: but after a few months of using alternatives I've got used to it - allow myself one small roast potato with sunday lunch and that doesn't push up my levels as I keep my carbs low for the rest of the week

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think you really need a meter and a diabetes type before you are forced to abandon potatoes altogether. One person's "low carb" can be another person's high carb and if you're T1/LADA rather than T2 you don't even necessarily have to go low carb at all (though a lot of T1s do). Be aware that most GPs will assume that anyone over 30 is T2 without necessarily doing any tests. Half (ish) the adult diagnosed T1s on these forums will have been misdiagnosed T2 first.

I'm a big fan of cauliflower and cabbage as low carb filler...