Diagnosed over 4 years ago but have anxiety to test sugar levels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone else have a problem testing themselves? I am over 4 years into my diagnosis with an initial a1c of 96 but have never monitored the condition due to anxiety with finger prick part of testing. Is there a way to overcome this fear and get a hold of my condition?

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First, I'm sure that others will have great suggestions for you, but I just wanted to reach out and encourage you with a brief response.
I think the first step is to buy the monitor. Have you done that?
One possibility - could have you have a loved one test you at first, until you get used to it?
I would be optimistic that with time, you won't even think about the finger-sticking. The monitors are so easy to use these days, hardly ANY blood is needed.
Second, it's possible you could get a prescription for a continuous glucose monitor and pay out of pocket for it. That's what I have now and I love love love it.
Please take care.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Craig

While many of us find self testing to be a very valuable part of our blood glucose control, you are under no obligation to use a glucometer.

The reality is that someone could prick their finger all day and all night but if they don't learn to understand the readings they are getting, and learn how to adjust their management of their condition (dietary changes, exercise and lifestyle changes), then all those prick tests achieve nothing.

So you can choose to sidestep the prick testing and knuckle down with the other things. You may not get instant readings to show how you are going, but you will still reap all the other benefits - better sleep, increased energy, maybe weight loss, lower HbA1cs, etc. etc.

If you choose to change your way of eating and adjust other things which may be driving up your blood glucose, you still reap real rewards to manage your T2. :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone else have a problem testing themselves? I am over 4 years into my diagnosis with an initial a1c of 96 but have never monitored the condition due to anxiety with finger prick part of testing. Is there a way to overcome this fear and get a hold of my condition?

Testing is, to me, an invaluable tool.

To you, it's a reason not to take control of your diabetes. So, yikes. You can get control of the T2 without a meter, but it's harder, and depending on what medication you're on, you could get into hypo's without knowing it because you don't test. So... If you drop your carbohydrate intake (it's not just sugars that raise bloodglucose, but starches too. Meaning bread, spuds, rice, corn, pasta, cereal etc), make sure there's nothing else pressing your bloodsugars down artificially, like insulin injections or gliclazide etc.... Metformin's fine.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a little to get a grip on your high blood sugars: understanding the condition is half the battle. Using your meter and knowing how would help greatly, but if you truly cannot...

Good luck, and do take care of yourself. Don't let a tiny prick stand in the way of improving.
Hugs,
Jo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had blood tests done for Hba1c since diagnosis? Have they shown that you are reducing your levels?
I only used testing as a way to check that my altered diet was having the desired effect. If I had been weighing myself I would have probably done fewer blood tests as I could have seen my weight going down. I was eating the 50 gm of carbs a day diet I had settled on to control my weight long before diagnosis as type two. Even without weightloss I can see my shape altering from ( ) to ) ( and I need to alter my clothes to cope with it.
If you settle on some low carb meals for early in the day and eat your most carby meal in the evenings, a single test two hours after starting to eat that might be all you need to do to see how you are doing. I did find that seeing low numbers on the meter were a great encouragement, so if you can just manage a couple of tests, after meals you hope will show good numbers, it might be a positive influence.

Reactions: Energize

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are in a position to buy, you could use Freestyle Libre. It's not CGM in that you do have to scan when you want to see your Glucose status. I very much doubt you would have one of these prescribed as you'd likely not fit any of the criteria.

The Libre measures the glucose level in interstitial fluid which is not quite so accurate as blood glucose level. However, you will get a reading when you scan and you will see this reading plotted on a graph, with arrow showing if rising, level, or dropping. This is very useful and something you learn to interpret. There are other 'numbers' you can get from the Libre system, such as 'Average', trends during the day etc

These cost just under £50 each, and last 14 days, after which they are replaced. Yes, they do have a small, very fine tube that goes just under your skin but the application mechanism does all that for you and you wouldn't see or feel it being inserted. It says in place, without disturbing, for the 14 days.