Steroid Injections

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a steroid injection yesterday and my blood sugar has been elevated ever since.

Is this normal?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a steroid injection yesterday and my blood sugar has been elevated ever since.

Is this normal?
Oooh yes. Count on them being up for a while at least. When we make our own steroids, it's mainly a stress hormone, signalling the body to get ready for a fight-or-flight response. Running or fighting requires extra energy, so... The liver dumps glucose like mad to save our lives from whatever sabre tooth tiger it thinks must be after us. So when you get a steroid shot, the body responds the same. So yeah, perfectly normal. If you stay over 15 for a long time though and don't dip under at all, you might want to get in touch with your GP. Some people require temporary insulin. For me, between eating keto and having had 3 or 4 steroid shots in the past years, I know I hover between 8.0 and 9.5 for about 3 days, and then drop back down to my usual numbers of 4,5-6.0. It's worth it to do extra checks in any case, should you need extra assistance to get numbers down.

Reactions: Inchindown

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was 14.1 before bed last night. About double what I'd expect at that time.

My fasting level this morning was 10.7. I would normally expect about 7.0.

My level 2 hours after breakfast was 9.2. About 6.0 would be normal for me at that time.

So it looks as though my levels are slowly returning to normal. I know I felt awful last night and was so agitated I couldn't get to sleep. My resting heart rate had also increased by 50%.

So I'm glad to see things settling down again. The one good thing is the steroid injection worked and this morning I can walk pain free again.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 14.1 before bed last night. About double what I'd expect at that time.

My fasting level this morning was 10.7. I would normally expect about 7.0.

My level 2 hours after breakfast was 9.2. About 6.0 would be normal for me at that time.

So it looks as though my levels are slowly returning to normal. I know I felt awful last night and was so agitated I couldn't get to sleep. My resting heart rate had also increased by 50%.

So I'm glad to see things settling down again. The one good thing is the steroid injection worked and this morning I can walk pain free again.
Sounds like your body's responding pretty good to this... I know it's not ideal, but it could've been quite a bit worse, so... Considering the circumstances, yay. And I'm glad the shot's working!
Hugs,
Jo

Reactions: Inchindown