Freestyle Libre inaccurate readings

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey

I have been getting really wrong readings lately with my Libre sensor. They are much lower than my blood testing kit (contour next). I have rung abbott 3 times now in the last month or so and it’s getting a bit ridiculous, it gets to about 9-8 days left and the readings start becoming totally off.

Any suggestions on this? Also i always put the sensor on my top side of my arm and i rotate arms every 2 weeks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Libre can have accuracy issues. You can use tech such as Miaomiao with spike or Xdrip to calibrate and improve things.
@porl69 @LooperCat

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks for the tag @Diakat
Hi @emily deacon, yeah the Libre can be inaccurate towards the end of its life. I bought an add on for it called Miaomiao. This device turn the Libre into a CGM using Xdrip+ or Glimp on Android or Spike on Apple. Then it can give alarms for lows and highs. You can also calibrate it so that the readings are more aligned with finger prick tests

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
I have been T1 on insulin for over 60 years now.
It took me 11 months from seeing consultant to getting offered a Libre course and sensors for 6 months.
Now nearing the end of the first 6 week period and still totally ######ed off with Abbot.
First sensor fell off after 2 days
Second sensor was on wrong planet when checking results & fell off after a week leavening a glow in the dark red ring.
Now on total of 16 calls to abbot but all sensors replaced. 6th sensor due to run out on Friday but expect it to fall off before then!
The readings now have a consistent error - reads low when finger shows 6 or less and when sensor reads 17 + is about 5 high
I am due to see my consultant at the end of this week and plan to show him the inaccuracy and ask for a different sensor which has the chance of being accurate enough to help fix my steel finger tips.
I looked at and tried Abbot finger prick devices some years ago - the accuracy has not improved since then.
If I had a say in the use / supply I definitely would not as part of the NHS be working with only one main supplier as this only offers an opportunity to be ripped off when treating different diabetics simply because one size has never fitted all.

If any one from Abbot can confirm the arrival of better sensors - I will volunteer to try provided they guarantee to do the same with at least 99 other T1's

Rant over!

Paul

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe you just got a bad batch of sensors. It happened to me a few months ago, I sent back five out of six sensors in the same series. Emailing Abbot seemed to be part of my daily agenda. I was thrilled when I finally ran out of 0M000778WXX's...

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to balance things I have found the Libre amazingly accurate for me. Not so below 4 and above 12 but it does say it isn’t when low or high. I aim to be between 4.5 and 8.5 as much as possible and the Libre assists me greatly in this. I spray Cavilon underneath to provide a barrier as I had allergy problems and always cover with Opsite Flexifix to allow regular swim sessions. Not had one fall off in ages.
As with all things, not one size fits all.

StephenMM

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Running
My experience is similar that of @becca59. I have never had a sensor fall off and readings between 4 and 9 are always within 10% of my GlucoRx finger pricker.
Key to attaching the sensor is as follows:
1. Choose an area relatively free of body hair - you may need to shave.
2. You get two alcohol wipes with each sensor so use them both and clean the skin thoroughly.
3. Let the cleaned area properly dry.
4. Press the sensor applicator very firmly onto the cleaned area - don’t be tentative - keep it pressed onto the skin and count slowly to 10 before releasing the pressure and removing the applicator.

I have never had one fall off, in fact I often need my wife’s assistance to remove the sensor at changeover time. My biggest issue is removing the sticky residue left behind. I use a cotton bud dipped in acetone (nail varnish remover).

One really good (in my opinion) feature of the inaccuracy of Libre sensors at the top and bottom readings is that they are pessimistic in their reflection of the truth. That is that they read too low when BG is low ( less than 4 ) and too high when BG is high ( greater than 9 ). This encourages me to respond by doing a finger prick to confirm the actual value before taking corrective action.

Congrats to @Paul520785 on surviving 60 years of finger pricking. I’ve only been T1 for 11 months and had the great fortune to be offered Libre after only three months of blood letting. I’d hate to go back to such barbarism. However I note that Abbott are currently experiencing manufacturing problems with the sensors and they are in very short supply at least here in Yorkshire.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never had one fall off, in fact I often need my wife’s assistance to remove the sensor at changeover time. My biggest issue is removing the sticky residue left behind. I use a cotton bud dipped in acetone (nail varnish remover
baby oil on a cotton wool pad works a treat and moisturises as well so far kinder to your skin xx

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Acetone???? No way. Eucalyptus oil

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Second the baby oil @StephenMM also agree with your point about them being pessimistic in their reflection of the truth. It is a good fail safe. Also it’s because levels may be falling/rising quickly and it cannot keep up. The truth is a blood glucose meter wouldn’t show this at all. Just a set number. Having experimented testing my blood on three different meters at the same time, it is pretty shocking the variation on those (2-3 mmols)

coconutjob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve bought a few sensors and usually find they’re off by 2 but the arrows and trends are more helpful than the numbers. This current one is way off, finger prick showed 14 but sensor saying 4.9, when it did catch up the highest it went was about 9. I just look at the arrows and the graph to see when it spikes . It’s a good thing but I wish it worked better, especially give. The cost.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve bought a few sensors and usually find they’re off by 2 but the arrows and trends are more helpful than the numbers. This current one is way off, finger prick showed 14 but sensor saying 4.9, when it did catch up the highest it went was about 9. I just look at the arrows and the graph to see when it spikes . It’s a good thing but I wish it worked better, especially give. The cost.
Abbott replaced my sensor that started being this far off with no quibbling. I just had to give 3 comparison BG values and the equivalent Libre value and a few other bits of info availabletc on my phone.

Reactions: annie-p

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

That’s way off. Ring and get replaced.