Getting problems with feet when sugar is low

Mike Sixx

I been manging to keep my BG fairly low, around 5. But I noticed starange pattern than my legs are getting worse when I going under 5.0 BG for my fasting value.
So I have been wondering if the is such thing as too low, while still staying above 3.9.

It is a strange roller coaster. One week my feets are better; almost normal then the next week they are much worse. While I have been faily stable and low in BG values. Trying to keep after meal under 6.5, most of the time succeeding. Worst after meal being 8.3 once (not eating that again).

Pattern seem to be : legs slooooowly getting better. Then suddenly completely cured for 1-2 days or few hours. Then next next day much worse for several days partially slight to moderately numb.

What is "safe" or "good" range of BG changes after eating ? is +2 mmol change after eating ok, what about +3?
Is +4 bad and damaging ?

I know carb tolerances are fairly individual. So what are yours tolerance ranges and do you know what are the official and good guidelines for these ?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Mike Sixx,
I have no personal experience but think I recall reading that several members with neuropathy got strange pains and odd symptoms in their legs after they had started getting their BGs down in the normal range because the nerves were actually recovering.

This may not be the same as you are experiencing, but please don't be concerned that fating BG levels around 5.0 may be 'bad'. It is possible that they are low enough and unusual enough for you that your body initially reacts poorly to them, but this is only until it gets used to them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mike Sixx from what I remember @Jim Lahey had a similar experience. Unfortunately he’s not been seen for a while...

edit to add it got better over time and led to a full recovery..

Caprock94

I experienced a similar thing. Still am. No symptoms at diagnosis. Started getting burning sensations in feet once sugars were quickly lowered to normal range. It's been slowly getting better over the last six months. Now, it is worse when I am on my feet more (doing a lot of walking). Some days I hardly notice them. Others I do. I hope they are recovering.

Oh, and I have actually noticed at times they seem worse when my blood sugar is at it's lowest......but that could be coincidence.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had symptoms before diagnosis, like a rolled up sock under the balls of my feet all the time. As I lowered BG, I also got more trouble with cold feet keeping me awake at night. To complicate that, I also have Reynauds syndrome, so hands and feet get cold very fast. The only real change I have had is since going to keto diet, with fasting. I get days now with only very minor symptoms, and seem to keep warmer extremities which means less trouble with cold feet keeping me from sleeping. Not cured, but improved. I have had other symptoms when lowering BG, like sometimes the urge for sudden need to urinate, which was not quantity related. That has entirely gone now. Its been interesting, if a bit puzzling!