And so it begins: Eat less meat or we’ll make you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I could eat nuts, I probably would substitute them for dairy sometimes.

I thought France imported very little food?

Reactions: Little Bird

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been rather gloomy since I discovered that the fats in baby formula are not the proper ones, but 'healthy' ones.
With mothers eating 'healthy' fats and babies being fed them, the development of the brain and nervous system will be affected.
We are Human only because of the cholesterol and other lipids which go into the making of our brain and nervous system.
I don't think that it will be climate change which finishes off the Human race after all.

D

Deleted member 308541

We are Human only because of the cholesterol and other lipids which go into the making of our brain and nervous system.
Eating meat protein makes the brain and nervous system work better.

Check the Beeb article re vegan intelligence.

The vegan diet is low in – or, in some cases, entirely devoid of – several important brain nutrients. Could these shortcomings be affecting vegans' abilities to think?

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200127-how-a-vegan-diet-could-affect-your-intelligence

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When taking Atorvastatin to lower cholesterol I thought that I was becoming senile - when I could think at all.
The Human brain is constructed in the first years of life, up to the age of three. After that it is not able to make the same sort of changes.

etippelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What was that we were saying about choice? Looks like we’re edging one step closer to the removal of it.

People should cut the amount of beef, lamb and dairy produce they eat by a fifth to combat climate change, a report says. It says public bodies should lead the way by offering plant-based options with all meals. But it says if people don’t cut consumption willingly, taxes on meat and dairy might be needed. The report comes from the government’s official advisers, the Committee on Climate Change (CCC).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51210622

Methane has twenty times the greenhouse effect of CO2. If we all turn Vegan, will will fart 60% more methane than "normal" omnivores. So either cows (vegan) or humans (vegan) will add to the greenhouse gases. Anyone care to calculate which is the greater risk? Cow production of methane is also determined by the variety of grass they eat, so how long before we see "low methane" vegan foods on supermarket shelves?

Edited by moderator for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AloeSvea

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My body cannot process carbohydrates and if I eat them I go into atrial fibrillation. Without meat I would die. Of course I mean chicken, fish, eggs and meat because I can eat any of those. But when I eat vegetables, except for green vegetables, my blood sugar goes unbelievably high and I wear a continuous blood sugar monitor so I can see it and it is not in my mind. The only fruit that I can eat is a few berries and an avocado, and avocados are also destroying the environment. When it happens I am also dizzy and so I cannot function at all. So I guess I’m going to be growing pigeons and rabbits in my backyard in order to survive. We really need to kick up a fuss because most of this Diabetes epidemic is caused by the constant pushing of masses of carbohydrate on people. And as for the synthetic meat, or the fake meat as I call it, it is full of estrogen and other nastys and soy is an endocrine disruptor. So wake up folks this is a battle we have to fight!

Reactions: AloeSvea

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eating meat protein makes the brain and nervous system work better.

Check the Beeb article re vegan intelligence.
Thought it was Fake News at first but it seems to be genuine. Indeed I recognise most of it from the research I did into deficiencies. He missed out Vit A and K2 Surprised Beeb allowed this to be published in their name.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
M

Member496333

Surprised Beeb allowed this to be published in their name.

Mirrors my thoughts. The BBC are usually keen to push climate hysteria and plant-based eating. Good to see some balanced journalism. Although I feel the comment about heart health probably ignores associated bad behaviours that people who shun the standard dietary advice tend to indulge in.

Reactions: jjraak

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mirrors my thoughts. The BBC are usually keen to push climate hysteria and plant-based eating. Good to see some balanced journalism. Although I feel the comment about heart health probably ignores associated bad behaviours that people who shun the standard dietary advice tend to indulge in.
What good is a healthy heart if the rest of the ship is going down? Recent meta studies that I posted in this thread show that there is zero difference between vegan and low carb diets so that claim is not apparently born out by large scale database reviews. It was the Framington Study that is held up as Proof positive, but that study has since been shown to be very flawed.

To fortify the claim, a team of WFPB followers found that the Harvard Nurses study also showed a 40% reduction in risk for heart disease, but independent peer review on the same data shows no correlation, and actually they showed an increased risk of mortality in the data. Then of course there was the ADVENT 2 study that a church group conducted on their congregation. Now this church group follows a fairly strict vegetarian life, and carried out their food sampling during the Lent period. This not surprisingly skewed the results somewhat.

Reactions: Member496333

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on warfarin for a while. It's true that green veg can thicken the blood but you can just have the dose of warfarin increased to counteract this.

D

Deleted member 308541

I was on warfarin for a while. It's true that green veg can thicken the blood but you can just have the dose of warfarin increased to counteract this.
Or get your cardiologist to put you on Xaralto which is one of the newer anti coagulants, I am on Xaralto for AFib so no neeed to worry about the Vitamin K.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last year I had two heart attacks and bypass surgery. My consultant discussed diet, and I told him I was low carb + higher fat (LCHF) and he agreed that I should carry on with it. He did suggest a modification to it as laid out by the Heart Surgeon Dr Aseem Malhotrsa to use the Mediterranean flavoured variant of it. this does not mean pasta but does use Olive Oil and loads of fish. So that is what I am doing. My GP and diabetic HCP both agree that it is suitable for me but advise thin sheets of butter , not slabs or doorstops. I did not do fatbombs anyway, nor do I do bulletproof coffees. I do still eat red meat. My bgl is in the sweet range and I am still able to provide care 24/7 for my partner who is chairbound.

So the low fat mantra is beginning to shift out of the consultancy door. My GP notes my LDL-C is high, but my HDL is higher and the ratio is good. He is happy, and I am no longer being persuaded to take statins even though I am one who has has a CVE

Chris Adams

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rugby, cricket, classical music, poor driving standards
Upping the dose of Warfarin is OK if you control your own medicine, he is under strict control by his medical team & will be for some time