Hypos every day

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

For the last 2 or 3 weeks my sugar levels are going low every day. Mainly between lunch and dinner, and before bed. I am on 24u of Tresiba in the morning and Insuman Rapid before meals, 8, 4 and 4. The doses were higher but the nurse said to drop them back.
I think it's the insulin that doesn't suit me so I have asked to switch back to Novorapid.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Are you on fixed doses?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When things don’t go according to plan over a period of time it can become very tiring and frustrating.
All to often we suspect our bolus insulin is to blame, and it can be.
Personally I would be looking at your basal levels prior to looking at your bolus insulin.
Make sure the basal insulin is at the right level first and foremost or else you could find yourself going round in circles.
Get your basal keeping you steady and level and then you can look at your bolus if needs be.

Reactions: diabetic12yrs

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I'm on fixed doses

Being on a fixed dose on a regime that offers adjustment flexibility is more likely to be the problem as opposed to the insulin not agreeing with you.....

as mentioned, check basal is good........and then seek advice about adjustment of your meal time insulin doses....

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My nurse said it was fine. I reduced my Tresiba to 22 but they want me to put it back to 24 because my levels are coming in high a small bit in the morning. They said I have to reduce my lunchtime insulin

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Have you been given set carb amounts to aim for with the fixed doses?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You can take a look at this site:
https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

But you really need to talk to your nurse about ratios and how to adjust your insulin. Hypos are not fun.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know how to carb count iv never done any courses on it

Not good. If you are in this country your health team have been very remiss. I was in hospital on the Sunday, Monday morning I started carb counting. Was given a quick lesson, a load of literature, and 2 weeks of telephone support. 2 years in did a weeks DAFNE. Push your team.

localshop

I don't know how to carb count iv never done any courses on it
ask your DSN about doing the DAFNE course. I did it last week and it's very very good. Teaches all about carb counting and dose adjustments as well as many other things. I really can't recommend it enough.