Type 1 Skinny LCHF

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Type 1 since October. Getting into lchf which has made bg stable, nights feel safe and hypos gone. Looking a bit skinny. Maybe don't have the diet right. Breakfast is eggs with veggies or veggie soup milk added. Eating lots of meat cooked in butter or chicken fat, with cheese salads and oily dressings or roast veg. Snacks are meat and cheese or roasted nuts. Portions are big. Have dairy intolerance using lactose free cheese and milk. Any advice? Thanks

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I assume you have adjusted your insulin dosage? Sorry if this sounds obvious.

Reactions: Waterfall 888

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I assume you have adjusted your insulin dosage? Sorry if this sounds obvious.
Good question. Am in honeymoon so only taking a,low dose at mealtimes. I wonder if I should eat more carbs and up my insulin dosage?

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hi

Type 1 since October. Getting into lchf which has made bg stable, nights feel safe and hypos gone. Looking a bit skinny. Maybe don't have the diet right. Breakfast is eggs with veggies or veggie soup milk added. Eating lots of meat cooked in butter or chicken fat, with cheese salads and oily dressings or roast veg. Snacks are meat and cheese or roasted nuts. Portions are big. Have dairy intolerance using lactose free cheese and milk. Any advice? Thanks
The most important thing is that your BG is under control. As for lactose (dairy glucose), I suggest you drink kefir (fermented milk), fermentation will used up most of the lactose and modify protein molecules. You might give it a try; you might flavour it with ground rosemary + salt, (when fermentation is complete) or ground coriander seeds. Instead or alternatively, you can cook with lard or tallow, for the sake of variety.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you counted the calories you are getting and accounting for your outgoing (exercise etc)?
No. The dietician checked a week's food diary and the diabetic nurse said I would learn that when I get off the honeymoon. Can you help me with the best way to count calories and exercise. Thanks

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The most important thing is that your BG is under control. As for lactose (dairy glucose), I suggest you drink kefir (fermented milk), fermentation will used up most of the lactose and modify protein molecules. You might give it a try; you might flavour it with ground rosemary + salt, (when fermentation is complete) or ground coriander seeds. Instead or alternatively, you can cook with lard or tallow, for the sake of variety.
I thought kefir was high carb. Good to know I can drink it. I used to make it years ago.

Reactions: NéjiSaïdi

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Soya cream and high coco 85% to 90% dark chocolate.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No. The dietician checked a week's food diary and the diabetic nurse said I would learn that when I get off the honeymoon. Can you help me with the best way to count calories and exercise. Thanks

The honeymoon can last ten years so I would say learn to count the carbs against your insulin dose. Not sure calories have anything to do with it but if you are low carb (and want to stay that way) then up the fats. I have a bit more cheese, or nuts for example and this does work to help me keep weight on. I see you already eat those things though so not really sure what else you can do other than increase the carbs a bit? I went very low carb in the beginning but found I too was losing weight I could not afford to lose. Now I add in a baked potato or a bit of toast but still stick to low carb. I do need to add an extra unit or two of insulin to combat this but so what? x

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure how you keep your food diary, but there are some apps like carbs and cals which also track carbs as well as calories. Exercise I normally rely on my fitbit to give me an estimate. Hope that helps.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The honeymoon can last ten years so I would say learn to count the carbs against your insulin dose. Not sure calories have anything to do with it but if you are low carb (and want to stay that way) then up the fats. I have a bit more cheese, or nuts for example and this does work to help me keep weight on. I see you already eat those things though so not really sure what else you can do other than increase the carbs a bit? I went very low carb in the beginning but found I too was losing weight I could not afford to lose. Now I add in a baked potato or a bit of toast but still stick to low carb. I do need to add an extra unit or two of insulin to combat this but so what? x
Good to know. That's so helpful. I guess my next step is to see how much more insulin to give for the extra carbs. Thanks!

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure how you keep your food diary, but there are some apps like carbs and cals which also track carbs as well as calories. Exercise I normally rely on my fitbit to give me an estimate. Hope that helps.
Thanks. Will have a look at carbs and cals.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to thank you all so much. You took the stress away. I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts and your own experience. It makes such a difference to be able to have this support. Thanks again

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Waterfall 888 , in your shoes, I would be adding cream, s opposed to milk to soups, or scrambled eggs, for example. I know my local Sainsbury's stock a lacto-free cream: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/lactofree-cream-250ml

I'm a slight person too, and when, like now, I have dropped a couple of kilos and need to claw them back, I try to take specific steps, like add cream, or sour cream (I don't avoid dairy) to soups, chilli, curries etc, or have an additional piece of cheese after a meal. That way, when I have found the couple of kilos, or whatever, I know what to trim back upon to hold, but not add to the gains.

I have keffir each morning, but if you decide to give it a go, please do so with small quantities to begin with. Yes, the fermentation impacts the lactose element, but may not eradicate it entirely.

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
I thought kefir was high carb. Good to know I can drink it. I used to make it years ago.
As our metabolism reacts differently to what we eat, I guess, you ought to start with low intake and regular BG monitoring; precaution.
P.S. I make my own kefir on a regular basis. I just buy some and then perpetuate the fermentation process at home with full-cream milk. Kefir is way richer than yogurt.

Last edited:

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Basically, fermentation happens when bacteria use up glucose (under other forms or combinations). Kefir (fermented milk) is the end-product of the same chemical process, just like beer, whisky, sauerkraut, vinegar, etc.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, really interested to see how you get on. I’m wanting to go low carb at some point (nurse not keen!) and am pretty slim with high metabolism. Do you have a basal insulin and bolus too? x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your diet is already quite good. I might increase the fats a bit and if you are still worried about being too thin then you could increase the carbs and match them with insulin.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Waterfall 888 , in your shoes, I would be adding cream, s opposed to milk to soups, or scrambled eggs, for example. I know my local Sainsbury's stock a lacto-free cream: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/lactofree-cream-250ml

I'm a slight person too, and when, like now, I have dropped a couple of kilos and need to claw them back, I try to take specific steps, like add cream, or sour cream (I don't avoid dairy) to soups, chilli, curries etc, or have an additional piece of cheese after a meal. That way, when I have found the couple of kilos, or whatever, I know what to trim back upon to hold, but not add to the gains.

I have keffir each morning, but if you decide to give it a go, please do so with small quantities to begin with. Yes, the fermentation impacts the lactose element, but may not eradicate it entirely.

That's helpful. I will start using cream. Will

Just had a lactofree cream and 100% unsweetened cocoa powder hot chocolate - yum. Will need to source kefir grains and I think I can make it dairy free. Thanks for your advice - much appreciated