Type 1'stars R Us

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LooperCat I marked your post as winner, but is it really a winner having to deal with a stabbing, drunks and an RTC? but you are a winner.

Had a Chinese saturday night - and I managed to stay in range!!!!! until about 3am and went low (how the dickens that happened I'll never know) by 4am I'm heading north.......:sour:

This morning 9.0 and had been in that range virtually all night, now 6.6 :happy:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Well we’ve dusted off the Brexit stash, and the kitchen remodel’s just finished in time to self isolate. Thank goodness the new fridge freezer was turned on last Thursday. Our GP next door neighbour had been storing my insulin and we kept a good metre distant when I collected it. She’s infuriated by all the people turning up with an but of a cough and a sore throats that they want checked out.
We’re 70 and 73 but hate the word elderly. We’re well seasoned, decently marinated. Lots of garden jobs (thank you Ciara, still haven’t finished clearing up), planting swift growing edible green stuff, walks in more isolated places, cleaning the dust from kitchen work - where does it hide when you’re looking for it - and the last mud pie trip today to get a half finished creation ready for firing.
Wish bloods would get off the pogo stick they started bouncing around on yesterday!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hope you don’t catch any of the nasty sniffles at the Care Home @MeiChanski.
Hope you’ve been issued with good protective kit for any Corvid19 call outs @LooperCat!

Reactions: MeiChanski

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What's the next move on paramedic training @LooperCat?

Steady as she goes here, nothing to report bg wise other than weird late evening rise still happening......
Out on placement at the moment so on the front line. Masks, gloves and aprons for anything suspicious, full hazmat onesies for conformed cases. Plenty of soap and water when we can get it, and alcohol gel and Clinell wipes if we’re in the field. Due back in uni at the end of April :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out on placement at the moment so on the front line. Masks, gloves and aprons for anything suspicious, full hazmat onesies for conformed cases. Plenty of soap and water when we can get it, and alcohol gel and Clinell wipes if we’re in the field. Due back in uni at the end of April :)
I thought you were on placement, got confused by your last post about teaching science? You never know, if corona builds to a crisis you may not be back at uni but might be kept on placement - is that possible?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I thought you were on placement, got confused by your last post about teaching science? You never know, if corona builds to a crisis you may not be back at uni but might be kept on placement - is that possible?
I’m on a rest day, so earning a cheeky few quid before my next shift on Wednesday. I do the odd teach when I’ve got a few days off, helps keep the wolf from the door. And we honestly have no idea what’s happening, we’re in uncharted waters. We have to complete a set number of taught and placement hours in order to qualify, as specified by the professional body that regulates us. It’s been proposed that final year doctors and nurses get rushed through to qualify; perhaps we’ll be seconded to 111 or to help in hospitals. Whatever happens, we’re all in for a bumpy ride. I’m optimistically dreaming that they’ll rush through our blue light training, so we can crew up with a single paramedic on a truck, instead of being a “third man”. That would free up another para to team up with another student and you get two crews for the price of one. Optimistic, as I say.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on a rest day, so earning a cheeky few quid before my next shift on Wednesday. I do the odd teach when I’ve got a few days off, helps keep the wolf from the door. And we honestly have no idea what’s happening, we’re in uncharted waters. We have to complete a set number of taught and placement hours in order to qualify, as specified by the professional body that regulates us. It’s been proposed that final year doctors and nurses get rushed through to qualify; perhaps we’ll be seconded to 111 or to help in hospitals. Whatever happens, we’re all in for a bumpy ride. I’m optimistically dreaming that they’ll rush through our blue light training, so we can crew up with a single paramedic on a truck, instead of being a “third man”. That would free up another para to team up with another student and you get two crews for the price of one. Optimistic, as I say.
Okay, I get it now, thanks. Don't use up all your rest days teaching, have a feeling you'll be needing them badly before this year's out. V interesting to hear the plans, and if the demand rises as predicted, your idea for trainee paramedics sounds like a good one (even if it is just because you want to play with the nee-nah button :hilarious:)

Reactions: Marie 2 and Mad76

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Okay, I get it now, thanks. Don't use up all your rest days teaching, have a feeling you'll be needing them badly before this year's out. V interesting to hear the plans, and if the demand rises as predicted, your idea for trainee paramedics sounds like a good one (even if it is just because you want to play with the nee-nah button :hilarious:)
I only do it when I have at least three days to play with. And with schools probably closing soonish, I needed to get one in. £90 for what’s basically five hours drinking coffee and babysitting isn’t very hard work.

And yeah. It’s all about the nee-nah button, mwahaha! Getting to press the 999 button still delights my inner 7-year old, almost as good as setting off speed cameras, hehehe.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Afternoon guys, a good day today, BG's and life, I even sat in my sunny back garden this afternoon, had lunch and reading my book, it felt so nice.
Hope you are all having a great start to the week, Happy Monday :)

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So the latest advice from government is for those in high risk groups, I assume type 1 falls into that category to self isolate for 12 weeks. mmm wonder how thats gonna work.

Who will do shopping, online will not really be an option as you may have to wait weeks. What about collecting prescriptions ?

Has this been thought through ???

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In most places, @smc4761, there are people setting up groups to help each other, to pick up shopping etc. I hope they work. However, we may have to perfect ways to wash veg in Milton, or cook it all before storing, and wipe down containers with dishwashing liquid and water, probably the next thing to fly off the shelves.
It’s a situation that’s unprecedented in our lifetime, so I hope we all come through it without going bonkers. I was speaking to my 85 year old sister-in-law today (it’s a spread family, long story) and she was going stir crazy after only 3 days of voluntary self isolating. She was upset that the choir she’s in has cancelled engagements too.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I could ring diabetes centre for information about this coronavirus. I don't have any symptoms just getting bit worried.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In most places, @smc4761, there are people setting up groups to help each other, to pick up shopping etc. I hope they work. However, we may have to perfect ways to wash veg in Milton, or cook it all before storing, and wipe down containers with dishwashing liquid and water, probably the next thing to fly off the shelves.
It’s a situation that’s unprecedented in our lifetime, so I hope we all come through it without going bonkers. I was speaking to my 85 year old sister-in-law today (it’s a spread family, long story) and she was going stir crazy after only 3 days of voluntary self isolating. She was upset that the choir she’s in has cancelled engagements too.

I'm assuming age group comes into the category @smc4761 , @Fairygodmother ? Due to the mortality statistics?

I got a mate in another band with a member diagnosed COVID. Read the news in our little S/W muso group. Gigs pulled..

I can't stand Jeremy vine myself. But there was some phone in's on his show from some retired listeners regarding the proposed "lock down" on the vulnerable & they ain't gonna take it..
To be fair, if someone wants out with the dog or down the allotment without seeing a soul or distancing.. I don't see the issue taking in some fresh air...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think their right to pull the gigs @Jaylee. It’s tough, it means we have to deny ourselves the things that make living a greater pleasure, but we’re all in this together. I’m 70, and it’s very hard to think of giving up the good times doing stuff I like. But, I don’t want to be a further burden for the NHS to carry, and if I get it I don’t want to spread it to others.
In my experience, people often need a little time to absorb a new situation, and adapt. Some are just born mulish.
Thank goodness for WhatsApp, text, Skype, FaceTime, email . . . The net will be red hot.
The place where younger daughter works has been shut down and they’re all working from home, this was already planned before Boris caught up.
I hope we won’t be advised to wash the jelly babies in soap while singing Happy Birthday every time we treat a hypo.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
And we may still be going for walks in sparsely peopled places.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Working from home from tomorrow as per orders from work/Boris. I may go crazy, I like seeing people who aren’t my family.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

We're currently still open, though a large number of our students' parents are wisely keeping their offspring/young people they care for at home. We won't close until an official order to close or we're so dangerously understaffed we have to.

Church stuff is all on hold... I have a feeling there will be no church next Sunday.

Had a text from my surgery yesterday that no-one is to go there without a pre-booked appointment. I do have a prescription to collect to take to my pharmacy but will phone to see if they want to send that electronically and if I have to I start going down the electronic route again from today. I did buy myself some more test strips last night just in case.

Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w