Since We’re In An At Risk Group Are We Entitled To Use The Segregated Shopping Hours?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So since the Government have listed diabetes patients in the At Risk category does that mean that we are allowed to use the the segregated shopping hours set aside for emergency workers and vulnerable people?

If so, when challenged how do we prove our condition?

I’m asking because I’m trying to control my type 2 with diet, Keto is working really really well, but the difficulty in getting hold of quality meat is becoming quite real.

I’ve also got IBS and I’d really like some soft toilet tissue!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So since the Government have listed diabetes patients in the At Risk category does that mean that we are allowed to use the the segregated shopping hours set aside for emergency workers and vulnerable people?

I’m asking because I’m trying to control my type 2 with diet, Keto is working really really well, but the difficulty in getting hold of quality meat is becoming quite real.

Hi there, personally, for me, I wouldn't expect extra treatment regarding shopping hours, so many have other conditions ( I do and over 60, but not in the 'at risk or vulnerable groups' cancers, heart conditions or surgery etc, over 70 years of age.
Take care.
ps I had to cut up cheap rolls of kitchen roll, as these sheets are quite thin, it is better than nothing and being careful about the disposal of them, I do have nappy sacks too.

Reactions: kev-w
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi there, personally, for me, I wouldn't expect extra treatment regarding shopping hours, so many have other conditions ( I do and over 60, but not in the 'at risk or vulnerable groups' cancers, heart conditions or surgery etc, over 70 years of age.
Take care.
ps I had to cut up cheap rolls of kitchen roll, as these sheets are quite thin, it is better than nothing and being careful about the disposal of them, I do have nappy sacks too.

Found this section on GOV.UK
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

Reactions: kev-w

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

I wonder if that last one covers type 1? When you google it, type 1 diabetes is listed as a 'severe disease of the body symptom'.I wish they would make it clear.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

NO.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We're just supposed to distance ourselves, use common sense and crack on best we can, I'd not expect to get my shopping at the same time as key workers as it's they who should be prioritised first, not us, the guidelines are quite clear who they are classing as most vulnerable in regards to illness and it's pleasing to see we're not on it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Nope. We're a world apart from people with severely depleted immune systems, like cancer patients etc. The latest government guidelines can be found here - diabetes and IBS aren't on the list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...otect-people-at-highest-risk-from-coronavirus

We can all expect to be a little uncomfortable and not have our first choice of food and toiletries for a bit - and I'm speaking as someone with a very restricted diet due to allergies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that key workers should be able to shop alone.

Unless we are in the groups that are extremely at risk, (and those ppl will be getting letters to tell them about it) then we should simply practice social distancing and carry on with our work and essential supply shopping.

if every person with diabetes decides to self-identify in the extremely at risk group, they will potentially spread infection on those shopping trips, cause chaos, and effectively make the special opening times pointless.

we need our healthcare workers to be able to shop, eat, rest and work in peace - because they will need all the health and stamina they can get in the near future.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I wonder if that last one covers type 1? When you google it, type 1 diabetes is listed as a 'severe disease of the body symptom'.I wish they would make it clear.

I do agree with you.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A supermarket tried to do that for NHS workers opening at nine in the morning for them but the NHS staff could not get near for the crowds of panic buyers trying to force their way in so all the NHS staff left as they did not wish too get caught up in a crowd of selfish self serving morons

Edit to add sorry as I am to say this but the government needs to deploy the army and direct the police to take control of this situation there is going to be mass puplic disorder and food riots if they do not get a grip.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
We were lucky enough to get our main foods (meat and fish) from our local market stall in Manningtree Essex. Our fish monger said Seabass and Seabream may face shortages next week. Not sure about other areas, but I went into Harwich at around 16.30 (Morrisons and Lidl), some shelves were bare. Chicken was wiped out, but red meat had availability. I was able to get my 95% dark chocolate and hazelnuts (good time to reduce my consumption).

I think it might be easier for "well controlled" diabetics who eat whole foods to shop outside of the "rush". If I were really worried I would either try and make a phone call to the supermarket and arrange something, or use someone in your local community; people are really showing the best of themselves. My brother-in-law is a logistics manager in regards to food delivery, his firm has naturally had orders for London based restaurants, schools etc put on hold, but big supermarkets have filled this gap with orders; I believe food supply will not be problem, but many who consume pasta and the like, are likely to have short term supply issues.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
A supermarket tried to do that for NHS workers opening at nine in the morning for them but the NHS staff could not get near for the crowds of panic buyers trying to force their way in so all the NHS staff left as they did not wish too get caught up in a crowd of selfish self serving morons

Edit to add sorry as I am to say this but the government needs to deploy the army and direct the police to take control of this situation there is going to be mass puplic disorder and food riots if they do not get a grip.

I firmly think that the word 'if' should banned.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Our butcher has good stocks of most meat but no chicken at present and says not likely to get any.
Family eat meat, I don’t.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Untreated T1 will kill you pretty quickly so in itself it is a chronic or severe disease, BUT we have at our disposal the best insulin there's ever been and the ability to accurately test sugar levels, be it by fingersticks or tech, to me as a T1 if I was to worry about this it'd be the risk of DKA coupled with a virus that was my prime concern as it's hard when you're feeling really ill to keep those bloods down sometimes..

The latest government advice doesn't mention 'diabetes' in any of its ugly forms and I take comfort from that in so far as it's showing me not to be at high risk

Reactions: lovinglife
D

Deleted member 308541

I can only comment on what happens here in major Australian stores that have set aside special shopping times for the older customer.

You have to show your pension card, before you can get into the store to the security guards / staff on duty checking for cheats that try to rort the system. No card and you are out side waiting for normal hour.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LooperCat

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
seen in a supermarket car park somewhere in England a couple coming out of the shop with a trolley load of stuff changing their clothes (coats and so on) then getting another trolley and going back in.

Are there no depths to which people will not sink.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
seen in a supermarket car park somewhere in England a couple coming out of the shop with a trolley load of stuff changing their clothes (coats and so on) then getting another trolley and going back in.

Are there no depths to which people will not sink.
And the exact same people who did things like that in Australia are now whinging because there are shortages/high prices of the things they've been stocking up on - pure insanity :rolleyes:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'

See my latest poem on my blog old friend... https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/poemagraphic.503830/
Po