Ice Cream recipes tried and tested? Any links, or sharing would be great. Thank you. [emoji178]

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please share your homemade ice cream recipes here. I’m keen to try this beloved dessert, keto-style.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Real ice cream is a frozen custard made with cream and eggs, warmed gently until it thickens, allow it to cool and pour into your ice cream maker or chill and beat until frozen

Reactions: ShelleyDubs

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have already. I’m looking for actual recommendations is all. Do you have one to share?
Sorry, I missed this. Our tastes are so different, dependent upon what sweeteners we can tolerate. I have been known to create an icecream from double cream with mashed raspberries, sometimes chopped pistatios or walnuts. Anything you fancy really, chuck it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Nothing wrong with adding >85% chocolate, grated or minced. Your imaginaton is your only limtation.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am a big-time ice cream fan, and the grief with giving it up on diagnosis led to me spending a wack of money on an ice cream machine, and becoming a bit of an ice cream making fiend since, usually seasonally inspired.

As with bread making with a bread making machine, the key to making good ice cream is to get to know your recipes in close relation with your machine. (Ice cream makers are mini freezers and churners. Churning and freezing are the key mechanisms in making good ice cream, with a custard anglaise mixture - cream, milk, egg yolks heated/cooked just right.)

For us folks with diabetes, it also means getting the right level of sweetness with low-carb fruit (berries), artifically or stevia sweetened ingredients and sweeteners so our BG levels don't rise, or only minimally. Ditto with colouring and flavouring ingredients (if that is your bag).

For me, it is having a couple of great stevia sweetened sugar crystal substitutes I know well (as in don't affect my BG levels) easily purchasable and always on hand. And strawberry and chocolate stevia sweetened powders marketed for milk drinks. These have been marvellous for strawberry and chocolate ice cream bases.

I also have a great natural peppermint flavour product for mint ice cream.

Also stevia sweetened (in combination with other sweeteners) marshmallows, fruit jubes, and the all important stevia sweetened chocolate chip pieces (milk and dark).

My recipes came with the ice cream machine. But ice cream recipes are a variation of the same theme. (Egg yolks, cream, milk of some kind, and a sweetener crystals). (I use coconut milk.)

Please note - only one person in my life will eat my diabetic friendly ice cream along with me, with some relish. Everyone enjoys the boutique ice creams we have in our freezer for guests. New Zealand is an ice cream mecca country due to all the great dairy products, and the mild climate. (Like Italy.)

I eat my ice cream creations alone!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been eating a particularly nice chocolate ice cream with stevia-sweetened chocolate bits and marshmallow, and thought I should share my favourite ice cream recipe, adapted from my ice cream machine instruction booklet, for type two/LCHF/Keto-friendliness.

I made double quantity of this, this last time, as dishes and bench and sink cleaning after this high-fat dairy-delight can be quite daunting - you may as well make double quantity and use the same dishes, and the same amount of paper towels and cleanser to clean up after! This recipe is a bit less egg-y as some of them can cross the line of egginess, for my palate (as much as I love eggs - but I want the cream and milk to dominate in my ice cream).

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of cream
1/2 cup of coconut milk
4 egg yolks
1 TBSP of stevia crystals/sugar substitute of your choice

Flavourings (to add as a 'mix in'):
Anything you fancy!
One of my favourites is 2TBSP of stevia sweetened chocolate milk flavouring powder, 2 tsps of natural peppermint flavour, 2 TBSPs of stevia sweetened chocolate bits (I do 50/50 dark and milk chocolate), 1 TBSP stevia sweetened marshmallows

Method:
1. Make the ice cream base - place cream and coconut milk into a medium based pot. Heat until mixture just starts to simmer.
2. Meanwhile beat egg yolks and sugar substitute crystals in a bowl until pale and thick. Once cream mixture is hot, slowly whisk cream into egg mixture.
3. Clean pot and return mixture back to a low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture has thickened and coats the back of the spoon. (Crucial not to let eggs set! Stir heaps! Get it off the heat at the right moment.)
4. Pour mixture into a heatproof bowl, cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
5. Once mixture is cold pour into ice cream bowl. Set ice cream maker to desired setting, and let churn.
6. At 'add mix in' stage - add the marshmallow and choc bits, (or your flavourings of choice) and let continue to churn.
7. When the ice cream maker determines that it is cold and churned enough, transfer into container(s), and put in your freezer. (You might have to leave it out of the freezer for a wee bit, once frozen, to loosen up for serving. ) Keeps for about a week.

I don't personally know about homemade ice cream's use by date - because I usually eat it all within a day or so!

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone. I went with a creme anglaise custard using cream, vanilla pods, egg yolks and sweetener. Added some chopped macadamias and pecans and put it into my newly purchased ice cream machine. Worked perfectly. Thank you again, all. xox

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi again @ShelleyDubs. I have found thinking about diabetic-friendly ice cream, and even keying ice cream recipes - to be very soothing in these Covid-19/'interesting' times.

OK - and eating the ice cream afterwards! That is very enjoyable. And very soothing on the palate - literally!.

I have gotten a great deal of pleasure out of eating my latest batch (triple quantity of recipe below - I decided not to muck around!, and just use the whole of my packet of roasted pistachios...)

Here goes in following... (so if you cut and paste/print it out you don't get my waffle!)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pistachio Ice Cream (diabetic-friendly ice cream is always Keto!)

Ingredients:
2 cups of cream
1 cup of coconut milk
1 dessertspoon of natural vanilla flavouring or to taste (or 2-4 vanilla beans, split and seeds scraped)
5 egg yolks
drops of green colouring
1/4 cup/2oz of sweetener-substitute crystals of your choice (alt 1/8th of a cup or 1 oz of sweetener according to taste)

3/4 cup of shelled pistachios, roasted and chopped/food processed

(Please note 1/4 cup of sweetener crystals is half of the conventional sugar - 1/2 cup - amount in the recipe booklet for pistachio gelato, due to cutting excesive sweetness imho, but this is always a question of personal taste and tolerance). This recipe has much more vanilla flavour than in the original recipe for vanilla ice cream, as my own feeling is it is hard to have too much vanilla....
This recipe is a combination of vanilla ice cream, and pistachio gelato, with diabetic-friendly Keto/Paleo/LCHF alternatives.

Method:

1. Place milk, cream, vanilla, and green colouring (add the colouring at this stage so you can check the taste for colour for the appropriate amount, prior to adding raw eggs) into a medium heavy-based pot. Heat until mixture just starts to simmer.
2. Meanwhile beat eggs and sweetener in a bowl till as pale and thick as possible.
3. Once liquid-dairy mixture is hot in the pot, pour into the egg-mixture and whisk.
4. Clean pot and return mixture back to a low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon ti the mixture has thickened and coats the back of the spoon.
5. Pour mixture into a heatproof bowl or dish, cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
6. Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker (pre-cooled) bowl. Set ice cream maker to desired setting and churn.
7. Add chopped up pistachio nuts when machine says to add mix-ins.
8. Once mixture is churned and frozen, transfer into freezer safe container(s) and put in the freezer for up to a week.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
More on keto ice cream/diabetic-friendly ice cream making tip (this one) and recipe sharing (next one) -

Hi again @ShelleyDubs. Have you found any recipes/made up any recipes you want to share too? A new machine in the kitchen is an excting, sometimes challenging time - but it sounds like yours is very easy to use. And you might be better getting machines to do what you want them to naturally than I am?

One of the things I had to learn is that, of course you might think, ice cream cannot be close to harder-frozen when in the ice cream maker-bowl, after churning and freezing. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to get it out and into freezer-friendly ice cream containers! It wasn't made clear in my own ice cream maker instruction booklet, but it does stand to reason. (It takes time for me to work out otherwise obvious things, obviously!)

What you have is like Mr Whippy/MacDonalds etc soft serve/soft-freeze - I quite like to have a small bowl of it after taking it out of the ice cream maker bowl.

But, for real ice cream texture, you need at least four hours - usually longer - in the freezer. For that to be just right, I have found in my weather conditions, a 40-minute churn-and-freeze to be optimal, so I use a manual setting for that, after having pre-cooled/chilled the maker-bowl before adding the creme anglaise mix (so it would probably be the equivalent of 50 minutes churning? Which is what the instruction booklet suggests is a good amount of time for ice cream.)

Anyway, the recipe for my latest batch.

As I am in Day 23 of a National Emergency/Lockdown due to Covid-19, I am making ice cream regularly, even though we are just now in the midst of a season change to the wet-and-cold season, from having been in a very hot-and-drought-y season this year. I find making, and eating of course, ice cream, very very soothing.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
French Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 cups of cream
1 cup of coconut milk/cream
1 dessertspoon of natural vanilla essence, and/or vanilla beans, split and scraped to taste
5 egg yolks
Sweetener-Crystals - Stevia/sugar substitute of your choice, amount to taste (up to 1/2 cup of sugar equivalent)
Chocolate bits (both, or either/or dark and milk chocolate, stevia or sugar-substitute sweetened), amount to taste

Method:
1.Place cream, milk, and vanilla and/or bean(s) and seeds into a medium saucepan/pot. Heat until mixture starts to simmer. Take off the element.
2.Beat egg yolks and sugar substitute crystals in a bowl until pale and thick. Remove vanilla bean(s) if using beans.
3. Mix egg mixture in with the cream and milk mixture in the saucepan, and stir or whisk. And put back on the element to simmer.
4.Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture has thickened and coats the back of the wooden spoon.
5. Pour mixture into a heat-and-fridge-safe jug or bowl, and chill in fridge (overnight is good)
6.Pour into pre-chilled ice cream maker bowl, and set ice cream for about 40 minutes, or at the desired setting, and turn on ice cream maker to churn.
7. Add stevia/substitute sweetened chocolate bits in when the machine says 'add mix-ins' or equivalent.
8.Once mixture is churned and on it way to being frozen, transfer to freezer safe container(s) and put in freezer for at least four hours. Keeps for up to 1 week.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a big-time ice cream fan, and the grief with giving it up on diagnosis led to me spending a wack of money on an ice cream machine, and becoming a bit of an ice cream making fiend since, usually seasonally inspired.

As with bread making with a bread making machine, the key to making good ice cream is to get to know your recipes in close relation with your machine. (Ice cream makers are mini freezers and churners. Churning and freezing are the key mechanisms in making good ice cream, with a custard anglaise mixture - cream, milk, egg yolks heated/cooked just right.)

For us folks with diabetes, it also means getting the right level of sweetness with low-carb fruit (berries), artifically or stevia sweetened ingredients and sweeteners so our BG levels don't rise, or only minimally. Ditto with colouring and flavouring ingredients (if that is your bag).

For me, it is having a couple of great stevia sweetened sugar crystal substitutes I know well (as in don't affect my BG levels) easily purchasable and always on hand. And strawberry and chocolate stevia sweetened powders marketed for milk drinks. These have been marvellous for strawberry and chocolate ice cream bases.

I also have a great natural peppermint flavour product for mint ice cream.

Also stevia sweetened (in combination with other sweeteners) marshmallows, fruit jubes, and the all important stevia sweetened chocolate chip pieces (milk and dark).

My recipes came with the ice cream machine. But ice cream recipes are a variation of the same theme. (Egg yolks, cream, milk of some kind, and a sweetener crystals). (I use coconut milk.)

Please note - only one person in my life will eat my diabetic friendly ice cream along with me, with some relish. Everyone enjoys the boutique ice creams we have in our freezer for guests. New Zealand is an ice cream mecca country due to all the great dairy products, and the mild climate. (Like Italy.)

I eat my ice cream creations alone!

Thank you for this really helpful reply! I suspect I will be keeping my ice cream to myself as well! I have bought a machine and it makes the best soft scoop once I got over the fear of making the custard! It’s actually very very easy (too easy!) and I’ve made vanilla pod ice cream, pecan, and I’ll be making strawberry today. It’s a game changer for me. Life is coming back bit by bit but staying keto and that’s great!

Reactions: AloeSvea