What to drink

kdhughes

I need to drink more liquids. Water is boring, and I won’t go out of my way for it. Coffee and tea are fine, but not at night. That leaves fruit juice, milk, beer, or soft drinks, all bad. Obviously I’m in denial, and I’ve given up.

dragongirl

I need to drink more liquids. Water is boring, and I won’t go out of my way for it. Coffee and tea are fine, but not at night. That leaves fruit juice, milk, beer, or soft drinks, all bad. Obviously I’m in denial, and I’ve given up.

Well you could scold (um, I meant scald!) a sliced lemon in a pint of boiling water with a couple of Sweetex tablets stirred in; or drink dreaded coke (diet version of course); or put a minuscule amount of sour cherry concentrate in a whole glass of water, which just takes the edge off plain water and has an anti-inflammatory effect to boot. Any use? Our spring supply was the best tasting water around but after the local quarry ruined it we have a borehole and water is, well I could agree with you on your water verdict!

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any mint, herbal or fruit tea can be left to go cold then topped up with fizzy water.
Water steeped with either a slice of lemon or ginger or cucumber in and kept in the fridge are good for summer.
Warm drinks can be bouillon or beef stock like Bovril. I also like hot ginger tea, just thin slice of fresh ginger with hot water poured over. Leave for five minutes before drinking.

I also stretch wine by adding water, or flavoured water made from herbal tea bags as above

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I need to drink more liquids.
Why? Usually our bodies let us know if we need to drink.
When I'm thirsty I like water just fine, when I'm not thirsty, no need to drink.

But if you feel you must drink without being thirsty, have you tried ginger in hot water? I quite like it when I want to drink something different without alcohol.
There are all the diet drinks as well, if you like them, they don't affect my blood sugar.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is actually a wide range of drinks that can be drunk when keeping carbs down.

herb teas
A whole range of cordials and fizzy drinks with sweeteners instead of sugar (be careful of ones that say ‘no added sugars.’
Teas, coffees and coffee substitutes
Lemon or lime juice in flat or sparkling water
Bovril
Bone broth
Vegetable juices

I usually drink 5 or 6 x600ml mugs or glasses through the day, and I have a different drink every time.

kdhughes

Any mint, herbal or fruit tea can be left to go cold then topped up with fizzy water.
Water steeped with either a slice of lemon or ginger or cucumber in and kept in the fridge are good for summer.
Warm drinks can be bouillon or beef stock like Bovril. I also like hot ginger tea, just thin slice of fresh ginger with hot water poured over. Leave for five minutes before drinking.

I also stretch wine by adding water, or flavoured water made from herbal tea bags as above
Thanks, very helpful.

kdhughes

There is actually a wide range of drinks that can be drunk when keeping carbs down.

herb teas
A whole range of cordials and fizzy drinks with sweeteners instead of sugar (be careful of ones that say ‘no added sugars.’
Teas, coffees and coffee substitutes
Lemon or lime juice in flat or sparkling water
Bovril
Bone broth
Vegetable juices

I usually drink 5 or 6 x600ml mugs or glasses through the day, and I have a different drink every time.
Good suggestions here, thank you.

kdhughes

Why? Usually our bodies let us know if we need to drink.
When I'm thirsty I like water just fine, when I'm not thirsty, no need to drink.

But if you feel you must drink without being thirsty, have you tried ginger in hot water? I quite like it when I want to drink something different without alcohol.
There are all the diet drinks as well, if you like them, they don't affect my blood sugar.
I get dehydrated because I forget to drink. Then I get loopy, or eat something juicy.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing wrong with ordinary milk. It has some lactose carb but not enough to worry about. Also almost any drink with sweeteners should be OK. Personally I don't worry about the so-called risks of sweeteners as most are based on fake news. Wine and spirits are also OK.

Reactions: Buzzer81

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink coffee black or with cream, I also drink sugar free squash and diet fizzy drinks. In the evening I often have sugar free milkshake in coconut milk in place of coffee so there’s no caffeine to disturb my sleep. Sweeteners don’t affect my blood sugars so I’m happy to drink them as I too find plain water boring.

Reactions: VashtiB

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Mineral water .... terrific. Juiced celery also satisfying

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing wrong with ordinary milk. It has some lactose carb but not enough to worry about.
Depends. With about 5 gr carbs per 100 ml it's 12 grams of carbs for a mug. Before diagnosis I easily drank a liter of milk a day, equalling 50 grams of carbs. Nowadays I use milk to treat mild hypo's.

kdhughes

I drink coffee black or with cream, I also drink sugar free squash and diet fizzy drinks. In the evening I often have sugar free milkshake in coconut milk in place of coffee so there’s no caffeine to disturb my sleep. Sweeteners don’t affect my blood sugars so I’m happy to drink them as I too find plain water boring.
I can’t find a sweetner that doesn’t have a metallic taste. I wish there were something else. Whenever I can, I dilute sweet drinks, and drink non-alcoholic beer. I have never tried coconut milk, thanks for your sincere help.

kdhughes

Depends. With about 5 gr carbs per 100 ml it's 12 grams of carbs for a mug. Before diagnosis I easily drank a liter of milk a day, equalling 50 grams of carbs. Nowadays I use milk to treat mild hypo's.
I also can drink 4 large glasses of milk a day. I’m trying to cut back.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Oh I loved milk so much, especially full cream hakkaido milk.

Since I went low carb I’ve been peeing gallons, I replace the fluids water + lemon plus a bit of sea salt... which I subsequently pee out, I’m literally a peeing machine

I also drink unsweetened almond or soy, sometimes I add thick coconut milk. Which has muted my cravings for milk

-Dan