Diagnosed Type 2 in January, Strange turn April

Eskimos

Hi There,
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in January and prescribed Metformin.
4 tablets a day and although they gave me diarrhea they worked well, they got rid of my tingling lips and excessive thirst.
Then one evening in April, my vision stared fading, I was wobbly when standing up and was in a faint state.
This wore off eventually but I was left with pins and needles or the feeling of frostbite in my fingers and toes.
This has not left me...
The Doctors, which I have been having phone consultations with are just throwing tablets at me.
Alogliptin and Canagliflozin and of course the Metformin.
The pins and needles have now just sort of settled into my left hand, but its a deep ache.
This has been for two months now. My blood sugar is 8.7. I know that's high but its not that high.
Does anyone know why this suddenly happened and how to get rid of this pain?
Would a Fast help or going Vegetarian?
I'm just under 14 stone, 48 Male Non Smoker and TeeTotal

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How often are you taking your blood sugars? Asking because I'm wondering if you are running high at other times of the day.

I'm T1 and my eyesight goes funny if my sugars run high for too many days - usually if I'm coming down with a cold

Eskimos

Very rarely, I hate doing it. I did it today to post it here.
What makes it high? I've been eating Salad and drinking Tea. The only thing I can think it is Milk...but I have no idea and I'm actually very worried.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd noticed my vision was blurry on and off about 2 month before diagnosed particularly close up.Seemed to worsen but now touchwood back to normal.One of the wiser types on here said it was because the eyes had been in liquid high in sugar and it would remedy. Seems correct to me and may be the rest of your body is readjusting?
I'm sure someone better suited will reply Hope it does settle down for you

Reactions: Perminder1

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very rarely, I hate doing it. I did it today to post it here.
What makes it high? I've been eating Salad and drinking Tea. The only thing I can think it is Milk...but I have no idea and I'm actually very worried.

Are you watching your carbs? Salad could be a potato salad with sugar dressing, or there could be hidden carbs in your dressing.
Testing is important, it gives you knowledge to see how you react to different foods and if you have big spikes or drops.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The symptoms you are describing don't seem to be typical of diabetes, but your BG levels seem a bit high if you have been eating a low carb diet - which I hope is the case, not just salad.
Low carb foods are meat, fish, eggs and cheese, yoghurt and cream which I have with salad stuff and stirfries or roasted low carb veges. It seems very nourishing.
Milk does contain sugar, but unless you are drinking pints of it its shouldn't be too bad.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi There,
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in January and prescribed Metformin.
4 tablets a day and although they gave me diarrhea they worked well, they got rid of my tingling lips and excessive thirst.
Then one evening in April, my vision stared fading, I was wobbly when standing up and was in a faint state.
This wore off eventually but I was left with pins and needles or the feeling of frostbite in my fingers and toes.
This has not left me...
The Doctors, which I have been having phone consultations with are just throwing tablets at me.
Alogliptin and Canagliflozin and of course the Metformin.
The pins and needles have now just sort of settled into my left hand, but its a deep ache.
This has been for two months now. My blood sugar is 8.7. I know that's high but its not that high.
Does anyone know why this suddenly happened and how to get rid of this pain?
Would a Fast help or going Vegetarian?
I'm just under 14 stone, 48 Male Non Smoker and TeeTotal
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- there's more out there to eat than just salads. I don't know what you put in them, but your blood glucose could still be relatively high if you put in stuff like croutons, dressing (other than mayo, olive oil and/or apple cider vinegar). Can you tell us in detail what it is you eat? As for the milk, there's lactose in there, meaning milksugars. If you have skimmed milk instead of full-fat, it'll hit your bloodstream even faster.

Anyway, if you're only living on salads right now, I'd ask your doc for a blood test to check whether you're low on vitamins and minerals. All salad, all the time'll basically end up with you getting deficient in just about everything. You need more nutrients, vitamins, minerals, than a salad can offer. You're on lots of metformin, and you're not eating a whole lot of meat by the sound of it. That combination is practically bound to give you vitamin B deficiency, and one of the symptoms of that is exactly what you're describing is going on in your hand. If you don't want to wait for a blood test, just get yourself some B-complex vitamins and start popping those, see if it helps.

We can't diagnose on here, but we can hazard a guess. Please start eating proper food with fats, protein and nutrients that will build up your body and keep your nervous system going.

Good luck!
Jo

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the previous posters. You should go back to your doctor and get some blood tests including a HbA1c. That will give you more inform action.

Then you really need to start testing your blood sugar levels regularly. You should also keep a food diary so that you record what you eat and the reading before and 2 hours afterwards. If you are not on any blood sugar lowering medication (metformin doesn't count for this) then reduce your carbs and see the effect on your blood sugar levels. Increase your protein and fat to make up for the carbs- don't go hungry.

When you are regular testing people will be able to give a little more advice- but any synptoms indicate you need to be. aware of what iOS going on in your body, 8.7 is high enough to cause damage so getting it lower is the thing to focus on. The symptoms may or may not relate too the diabetes but either way lowering your blood sugar levels can only help.