Passing down t1

M05

Hi I'm a type 1 male.. I always wanted kids and now I'm afraid this will be passed onto them any males here who can advise me

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
49 years type 1 here. 2 kids 30 and 25 years old with no signs of type 1
I was the 1st type 1 in my family

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
There have been discussions about whether T1D is hereditary. Personally I think not due to before insulin was invented life expectancy was VERY low and all the type 1s would have been wiped out!

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have 3 children, my 19 year old is the only one I gave birth to as Type 1. My uncle had type 1, my granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 @2 1/2 years old, but thankfully none of my children are diabetic, even though oldest daughter had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant 2 years ago, but that went after baby was born.

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi I'm a type 1 male.. I always wanted kids and now I'm afraid this will be passed onto them any males here who can advise me
Hi @M05 and welcome to the forum. In 1983 my wife and I went to see our GP to ask her opinion on the likelihood of a baby developing diabetes. She reckoned one in twelve (which was based on the outside chance of me having inherited it - I have since been assured by the genetics department at Addenbrooke's Hospital that I didn't inherit it ) and so we decided to go ahead. Our daughter Steph was born in 1984. She has severe reactions to all forms of gluten, so she has inherited an over-active immune system, but she and her daughter Amelia (born 15.11.2011) have shown no signs, thank God. To be honest, even were they to succumb, I look back on my life, having had Type 1 from 1959-2013, and the only regret I have is that I closed my mind until 1979. Life still gives me great pleasure and in our super-scientific and technological age, I think any children you might have could lead even better lives. Personally I would go for it. Good luck!

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 since 1977. I wouldn't have children if I could do it all over again.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I asked my consultant she said there is an increased risk.. she said look at the history if there is a chain of family members past or present with it then there is an much increased risk if just you have it she said something like a 1 in 9 chance

In my case my dad has it as did his mum so I guess there is a reasonable risk

Would I let this stop me - no treatment has improved so much over the last 20 years that a child can lead an almost normal life

And a T1 parent is already going to have a good understanding of the child’s needs should it develop the condition

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My mother was T1 with no other family history. I am very glad that she decided to have children, as otherwise I wouldn't be around now, and I enjoy my life, even if I do have to put up with T1. Neither of my two adult children have T1, though I suppose they could still develop it. On the other hand, they will definitely have to watch their carb intakes because 3 of their 4 grandparents had/have T2....

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why is that
There are far too many people in this world for bringing someone with increased health risk into it to make any sense. There are more sensible and compelling ways to find fulfilment in life. Had two daughters and the older one is dong well. The younger one became T1 at 17 and committed suicide at 27. There had been a history of depression, but having uncontrolled T1 was certainly a factor in her giving up on life. Having children is not easy at the best of times. Throw T1 into the mix and all bets are off.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
There are far too many people in this world for bringing someone with increased health risk into it to make any sense. There are more sensible and compelling ways to find fulfilment in life. Had two daughters and the older one is dong well. The younger one became T1 at 17 and committed suicide at 27. There had been a history of depression, but having uncontrolled T1 was certainly a factor in her giving up on life. Having children is not easy at the best of times. Throw T1 into the mix and all bets are off.

That is very sad and there is nothing I can say that can take that pain away.

And I agree with most of what you say, but I don’t think a decision on having children should be made solely on a risk of health issue

There are many reasons to not have them, and many reasons you may want them

It’s down to the individual to decide what’s right for them and it right to weigh the risks

I think it’s easier mentally for the child/person to get t1d much earlier in life as it just becomes part of normal life for them but later in life after leading a normal life until that point makes it harder

I was diagnosed at 36 and struggled for a long time.. for a teenager that has plenty of other worries I can see how it could be the straw that breaks the camels back..

And my sympathy goes out to anyone in that situation

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1

So sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter that is so dreadfully sad.

I developed gestational diabetes when pregnant with my first child which turned out to be type 1 very quickly and confirmed with the anti body tests so I didn’t actually choose to have a baby whilst diabetic it kinda of just appeared as it tends to very quickly. I did then go on to have my son as a full blown type 1 so to speak.

My husbands dad was also type 1 so they do have it on both sides so it is an ongoing concern as they grow they are still only 9 and 11.

I am sorry it was such a bad outcome for you and there can be nothing more heartbreaking to know she passed from having the same condition as you but no one can forsee that happening and I hope you can continue to get some joy from your remaining child

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having children is a personal decision and we are all different. My concern is that the decision is made without taking relevant information into account. As I indicated in my initial post, if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have done it. Passing on a genetic weakness is only part of it. That all the relevant information was not available at the time of making this life decision is also a big factor, in the decision to have children and other life choices too.

I was diagnosed at 21 and for the next 10+ years controlling it was easy. There must have been substantial residual insulin production. At the time I decided to start a family and embark on an ambitious career I didn't realise how much more difficult having T1 would make this journey. It didn't have to be that way. I really should, in retrospect, have made it easier on myself.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
One of my 2 sisters and I are type 1 diagnosed when we were children.
Other sister is not type 1.
I have had one son who is now 20 and has not got it and my type 1 sister has one child who is 24 and he is free of it too.

Tony

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had my daughter at 42 1/2 years old, not an easy time, as I was very ill and she was premature, but 19 years later, I wouldn't change it for the world, it was my best diabetes moment ever <3

M05

One of my 2 sisters and I are type 1 diagnosed when we were children.
Other sister is not type 1.
I have had one son who is now 20 and has not got it and my type 1 sister has one child who is 24 and he is free of it too.

Tony
How long has u had type 1 and how are u now

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I was more worried about the way the close control required during pregnancy, and the baby damaging effects of high blood sugars, might affect my children than whether or not I should have them. I did used to worry whenever they showed even the smallest sign that they may have developed T1, but that was because I didn’t want them to decline because of lack of treatment.
Neither has T1 (yet).
I’m grateful that I was able to have them both; I know I have a mother’s rosy tinted specs, but I reckon that even with the faults they have, they’re people who the world is better for (one’s a scientist, the other’s a sustainability engineer and designer).
I hope that my grandsons don’t develop T1, even with the better tech and insulins it’s not a gift I’d be happy for them to receive. But I’d rather they’re alive, with T1, than not here at all. I just hope the world they live in when they’re older hasn’t been trashed by the way we humans have treated it.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Op my advise is go out have a normal life.

I had my kids before i had T1. So far 1 is 10 the other is 12 watching them grow up is the most rewarding thing no regrets. My advise to them is the same.

So far no sign of it.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat